Menu

Goat people please help

MotherGoose

Hi

We are thinking about getting goats (pygmy I think) for weed/brush control. I have chickens and I grew up with cows, so animals are not new to me. We have 5 acres and have to have someone come and weed-eat it periodically. Lots of saplings, weeds, etc. This would not be a money-making proposition, but just for fun and more organic weed control--I also spray with chemicals too, or it would all soon revert to a forest. I'd appreciate any advice--not interested in milking or meat.

Rent a goat for clearance of brush! They stay on your property, eat your weeds, then move on :) Rainy Sunday as for specific questions, how much trouble are they? How long can they be left alone (assuming they have water and food?) How hard are they to keep fenced? I saw somewhere online that they can be kept in moveable cattle panel structures. I have lots of small trees, weeds, etc I would like them to mow. Today, at the 4H event, some of them were so small (Pygmy) that I could pick them up and carry them, and I loved all of the personalities. They seem like dogs with hooves! Do they tend to be wild or are they easily tamed? How much supplemental feed do they need given good pasture as long as I am not interested in milk production? I'm thinking about a lawn-mowing dog like creature, although given their bad behavior they might be more like cats. I have chickens and a guinea, and grew up with cows, so I'm not a complete novice. My parents had a goat that they borrowed to clear the poison ivy. I vaguely remember it, they kept it tied in the woods and it wound itself around a tree periodically. It slept in the barn. My mother says they hate the rain--their goat practically dragged her to the barn where it slept when the rain started.

We had a couple Nigerian Dwarfs for a while, but they were always escaping from their pens. Apparently they are related to Houdini and spend most of their devising ways of getting out of pens and patures that were designed to keep them in. We sold the little darlings and now have a few La Manchas. They are much sweeter and don't have devious little minds.

Rent a goat for clearance of brush! They stay on your property, eat your weeds, then move on :) Rainy Sunday as for specific questions, how much trouble are they? How long can they be left alone (assuming they have water and food?) How hard are they to keep fenced? I saw somewhere online that they can be kept in moveable cattle panel structures. I have lots of small trees, weeds, etc I would like them to mow. Today, at the 4H event, some of them were so small (Pygmy) that I could pick them up and carry them, and I loved all of the personalities. They seem like dogs with hooves! Do they tend to be wild or are they easily tamed? How much supplemental feed do they need given good pasture as long as I am not interested in milk production? I'm thinking about a lawn-mowing dog like creature, although given their bad behavior they might be more like cats. I have chickens and a guinea, and grew up with cows, so I'm not a complete novice. My parents had a goat that they borrowed to clear the poison ivy. I vaguely remember it, they kept it tied in the woods and it wound itself around a tree periodically. It slept in the barn. My mother says they hate the rain--their goat practically dragged her to the barn where it slept when the rain started.

Ack! Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. Work and life is crazy right now.

We raise Nigerian Dwarf goats. Our current herd is 4 milkers (adult does), 1 pregnant doe, 2 junior does (growing babies), and 2 adult breeding bucks.

How much trouble? Well, ours are pretty mellow. They can throw you for a loop sometimes, of course, and those loops can be major.

Left alone? Well..they don't like to drink dirty water, predators can be an issue, and they can get into trouble when bored. I would be very uncomfy with the idea of not having eyes on them at least once a day. We have hands on ours twice a day (due to milking) at minimum.

They can be kept in cattle panel pens. That's what we are using for our boys currently. The smaller breeds can get through those openings though, nearly until they are full grown. All of them can get their heads through, so could get stuck if they have horns. Additionally, be aware that lots of predators could get through too. Depending on your area, that may or may not be an issue.

Pygmys and nigerians are the two small breeds. Full grown, they are about the size of a labrador. A healthy adult should not be *easy* to carry (50lbs+), but *can* be lifted/carried when need be.

Babies are the easiest to tame. Bottle-babies in particular. They often end up *too friendly* for some people's liking. Adults can be brought around, depends on the individual, and how much time you put in. We have one doe that was wild as a March hare when we brought her home. Three years later (and three lactations; being milking 2x/day for the better part of 8 months a year), she tolerates our presence. She doesn't come up for attention/scratches, and prefers not to be "caught", but she will walk nicely to the milk stand and back, and stands perfectly for milking and other hands on chores (hoof-trimming, shots, etc).

They will eat lots of brush/browse, maybe some grass. Sheep make better lawn mowers. Goats eat more like deer (trees, brush, etc). They will probably need some bailed hay in the winter, depending on your weather/pasture condition. If they are not producing anything (no pregnancy, no milk, no breeding), they shouldn't need grain-type rations. They do need a good quality loose mineral, and fresh water.

They do hate the rain. Generally they fear they are made out of cotton candy and will melt if they get wet. It is important that they have a structure (barn, large dog house) to get out of the weather.

I would caution against staking a goat. They are basically steak on a rope for any passing critter. They are a prey animal, and in many areas, local dogs will be your biggest predator issue. Even small dogs can do scary, serious damage to a goat.

Hope that helps!