Menu

Would you let a "non-typer" (lol) use Spelling City?

rachelpants

I keep thinking that Spelling City would be fun for DS to practice his spelling words on, however he doesn't type yet. How big of a problem would this be? I did buy subscription to talkingfingers for typing instruction a couple of months ago.  DS was discouraged and frustrated with the fingering and so I thought I'd wait...but spelling city keeps calling me, LOL.  We will eventually do keyboarding...but if I let him "hen-peck" for now I'm wondering if it will cause any problems for keyboarding later?

Thanks!

There are a few games where you try to type as fast as you can. That could get frustrating. On the other hand, it could help him get faster. I would try the free version to test it out. There isn't that much more offered with the paid. 

Hmmmmm.....good to know :) Thanks!!

Dd6 wants to try Spelling City too - she sees Ds10 having fun with it. However, he knows how to type. I have her working on Dance Mat now. She likes it. She's great with her penmanship, so I don't worry about her forgetting how to write. This would have been a problem with my pencil-phobic Ds. I'm going to let her try. She even has an email address lol. My biggest concern is that she won't develop bad typing habits (as I did). She longs to communicate, and I'm not about to stand in her way.

How so?

It's probably not for all kids so I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement, but I just know when we tried it, none of the games were things that helped ds with his spelling at all. I've pretty much decided that spelling is what you put into it.

It's probably not for all kids so I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement, but I just know when we tried it, none of the games were things that helped ds with his spelling at all. I've pretty much decided that spelling is what you put into it.

Don't mean to hijack, but please elaborate. I really want to know. I care about spelling and I've always been an excellent speller in all the languages I've studied- 5, now 6 as I'm studying Italian on Duolingo.

I was so happy I found something for DS10 he didn't slog through and enjoyed. At the beginning of the year I created a whole spelling book for him based on Natural Speller's lists per grade. I also loaded them onto Spelling City. I have him manually copy each word. Sometimes he uses letter tiles to spell these manually too. He has to think about them. Then he uses Spelling City for games and ultimately at the end of the week, the test. If he even gets one wrong, from himself he'll retake the test to get 100% right.

Next year DS10 and I are starting with Latin (Lively Latin 1).

My youngest uses it for school and I agree with farrarwilliams, it hasn't helped him with spelling.  I think some of the games are word searches, hangman, and a Wheel of Fortune type game.  My son is a terrible speller and things like that don't help him learn to spell any better.  For him, I think of Spelling City as more of a fun review once he has put in the time to learn how to spell the word through other methods (sorting, writing the word out a few times, memorizing, learning the spelling rule, etc) as opposed to something that helps him learn how to spell the word in the first place.

Of course every child is different.  But for both of my boys Spelling City hasn't been all that helpful.  Doesn't hurt, but doesn't really help.  YMMV.

I agree I don't think it's sufficient as a standalone. DD is motivated to practice typing, so she has one day she copies words onto flash cards that we study from, another day that she types words into Spelling City. By the next day when she plays 3-4 games, it's mostly fun review. We just started getting 50-75% of the words for the week from a copy work/dictation passage, so now the day after Spelling City will be dictation.

My non-typers tried it and were frustrated even though they knew how to spell the words they were trying to play the games in. I have found it to be very valuable for my DD this year though. We are working through the LOE advanced lists this year. I dictate the words and we review any rules/phonograms on Monday. Tuesdays she practices on paper by copying the words again, saying them out loud while she writes. She plays games on Wednesdays. Some are more helpful than others, that is for sure. Thursdays she usually does a practice test, to elimate words already learned. Then Friday she will practice the missed words again and just test on the missed words. Any words she misses a second time go into a queue for the next review week. There are usually 5-8 missed words -- typically the hardest words from the list or more obscure words (for a 4th grader).

I bought the premium membership because it tracks for me which words she misses on practice tests, actual tests, etc. Before we had the premium membership I was trying to track that manually and it was a nightmare. This has been a great way for us to track what needs to be reviewed.

Thanks. This could be helpful to the OP: yes, you can have a "non-typer" use Spelling City, as long as you continue to reinforce handwriting and teach the spelling words outside SC as well.

Yes, I agree with that.  It was not a good use for time for my boys though - it didn't help them with retention.  We needed to do a full other program for ds...  and by the time we had done that, it seemed like a huge waste of time.  But it may work well for some other people in conjunction with other spelling activities.