Menu

Greek-What would you use after EG3?

HLM,

How old is your son?  My 13 yo 8th grader is taking Greek 1 (Attic) with Lukeion this year. He's loved it, despite the fact that it is a lot of work, and has done very well with it.  In fact, Lukeion's Greek 2 is the one class he most wants to take next year.

HLM,

How old is your son?  My 13 yo 8th grader is taking Greek 1 (Attic) with Lukeion this year. He's loved it, despite the fact that it is a lot of work, and has done very well with it.  In fact, Lukeion's Greek 2 is the one class he most wants to take next year.

Ds is 14.  Sounds like we could use Lukeion.  Thanks!

:)

I haven't perused EG3, but just looking at the TOC, I'm not sure if going back the beginning, even with an Attic program, is a good idea. There's no real grammatical differences between Koine and Attic, so he'll be learning the same stuff all over again in a beginning Attic class. Now, language is sort of like Math, there's no such thing as learning it too much, but stepping back from Algebra to learn addition again can be demoralizing, if you catch my drift.

I'd never recommend Mounce, to anyone, but that's jmho.

You could look into a book such as Decker's Koine Greek Reader. I actually only own EG1, but if EG3 is a lot like it, I think Decker's book could be an excellent follow-up. I would recommend Black's It's Still Greek to Me to accompany KGR, it's fun and non-threatening. The cartoon for prepositions and the like inject some light-hearted joy into the time when language study can become tedious.

After he is done with Black and Decker (*snicker*) he can go on to an intermediate Attic course without any problem, I would think. Black covers the Middle Voice, which is something I'm not sure is in EG. So with that....I think he'd have all the grammatical forms covered.

I haven't perused EG3, but just looking at the TOC, I'm not sure if going back the beginning, even with an Attic program, is a good idea. There's no real grammatical differences between Koine and Attic, so he'll be learning the same stuff all over again in a beginning Attic class. Now, language is sort of like Math, there's no such thing as learning it too much, but stepping back from Algebra to learn addition again can be demoralizing, if you catch my drift.

I'd never recommend Mounce, to anyone, but that's jmho.

You could look into a book such as Decker's Koine Greek Reader. I actually only own EG1, but if EG3 is a lot like it, I think Decker's book could be an excellent follow-up. I would recommend Black's It's Still Greek to Me to accompany KGR, it's fun and non-threatening. The cartoon for prepositions and the like inject some light-hearted joy into the time when language study can become tedious.

After he is done with Black and Decker (*snicker*) he can go on to an intermediate Attic course without any problem, I would think. Black covers the Middle Voice, which is something I'm not sure is in EG. So with that....I think he'd have all the grammatical forms covered.

Awesome! Thanks for the information.  I was looking at the Attic beginning TOC and thought the same thing.  I appreciate hearing that I was on the right track.  Thanks also for the recommendations.  I haven't heard of those and will check them out.

:)

Hot Lava Mama