Menu

Let's say that for an entire day, you sat on your tookus and did absolutely nothing.

Kinsa

Do you feel guilty about it, because, after all, there's always work to be done!

OR

You feel okay about it, because obviously you needed a mental health day!

Not that I know anyone who's sat on her rear end all day doing nothing...  :001_rolleyes:

I'm okay with it as long as I catch myself and don't let it happen too often. When I worked full time, I occasionally took "mental health days" when I just didn't feel like going to work. I don't see anything wrong with taking those kinds of days just because my work is now that of keeping up with a home.

I've sat on my rear virtually all day, but I am revising for finals and I have to sit to study! I have been cruising the boards when switching between the notes for one class to the next. The boys are having sandwiches for dinner so I don't have to make them anything.

I generally feel exceedingly guilty and hate wasting time.

I wouldn't feel guilty about it but, because no one takes up the slack in my family, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it thoroughly because I'd be thinking about the double amount of stuff I'd need to do the next day.

I would feel guilty for wasting a perfectly good day by not doing anything. It does not necessarily have to be "work" - but I would feel bad if I had not used a work free day to do a fun activity, such as hiking, going for a walk, gardening, making music. If I literally just sat around and did nothing, I would not feel relaxed and it would not be beneficial for my mental health.

Days with truly nothing happen only when I am sick, or severely depressed (OK, that is sick, too)

I only do *nothing* if I'm too sleep deprived to do anything, and that's something to regret, not feel guilty about. I don't deprive myself of sleep on purpose!

Otherwise, a day doing nothing really means I've done some dishes, a load or two of washing, fiddled about in the garden, watched some online lectures, read a bit, done some school planning, wrestled with my son, made food and generally pottered about… I like pottering sorts of days. :)

I think it depends. 

There is always work to be done at home, right?   I really don't know anyone with children who is ever completely caught up with work.  But, is the work urgent/important?  If everyone has clean laundry for the next day, the house is not a total disaster, there is food available for people to eat, and the sink is merely full of dishes but not overflowing, then yeah, I think I could do absolutely nothing. 

(My definition of absolutely nothing may not match yours though.  Reading for pure pleasure, doing some needlework, browsing the library would count for me.) 

I wouldn't feel guilty about it but, because no one takes up the slack in my family, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it thoroughly because I'd be thinking about the double amount of stuff I'd need to do the next day.

Yep, exactly!!!

Well, I consider today a day of nothing. I've had conversations and hugs with my kids. Messaged my fave SIL, researched different beliefs of faith, enjoyed the company of the forums, two loads of dishes, cooked dinner and a batch of cookies for our neighbors. Oh and i went for a jog and took down the girls tent in the backyard.

I don't think a parent can literally do nothing. Breathing, talking to your family, walking to the sofa, eating and living are all actions. So what if clothes or dishes weren't washed? So what if you should have vacuumed but didn't. It'll still be waiting on you tomorrow!

Assuming there wasn't something pressing that had to be done - whether it was feed the children or accomplish a task with a deadline - then zero guilt here.  I've basically done that before.

I will say that it usually doesn't make me feel very good though.  I don't feel guilty, but if all I do all day is watch TV, play video games, read internet forums, read junky books, and snack...  well, I usually just feel depressed by the end of the day.  On the other hand, for my creative process, I have found that I often need to spend time doing that sort of thing for awhile before getting a burst of creative energy and desire.  One of the problems I face now in my life is that I often have enough time for the first part of that process - the sitting around on my tookus part - and not enough to consistently get to the next part - the creative energy to actually do something part.

I cannot imagine a day where I did absolutely nothing. I'm trying to imagine it... Ok, my kids are at grandma's and I do nothing all day. No, I don't feel guilty. Bliss is the word that comes to mind. :lol: That is so far outside my version of reality, though. My kids are young and have needs that wouldn't be met if I did nothing. Plus if my kids were at grandma's I would think - the kids are gone; I can get so much done! I guess I don't know how I would feel, but I hope you enjoyed your day. That is all that matters, right?

We all did nothing today. It was a busy week and I've had a hard couple of days and am not really feeling well after my doctor visit yesterday. We have watched tv, movies, read, played video games, and just hung out. We all made ourselves nachos with leftovers for lunch and we ate grocery store deli chicken wings and boxed mac n cheese for dinner.

Dh and I feel zero guilt.

I personally don't like the statement, "Doing nothing". Everyone is always doing something. 

If you had a good time, then good for you. 

:iagree: 

When I'm "doing nothing," it's usually tinkering with a new schedule or writing up a sample curric for next year. 

I do that occasionally. No guilt at all. There will always be work to be done, and for the most part it'll keep for another day. No one besides me is bothered if the pile of dishes gets larger than normal or if I have to wash two loads of laundry instead of one.

There are some things I feel guilty about. Sitting around on a Saturday isn't one of them. Everyone does it, and if you don't you should!

Really, what's the big deal? I am not so important that things will fall apart if I take a rest day.

Do you feel guilty about it, because, after all, there's always work to be done!

OR

You feel okay about it, because obviously you needed a mental health day!

Not that I know anyone who's sat on her rear end all day doing nothing...  :001_rolleyes:

I have sorta done this. I have days where I lay on my bed and read most of the day. Let the kids eat cereal or pop tarts or ramen noodles for dinner.

I don't feel a darn bit guilty. Everyone needs a day off now and then.

Guest submarines

I take a nothing day every month or so. No guilt. I spent years being "on" all the time when the kids were younger. I need to recover with "sweet doing nothing" from time to time. :D

:001_wub: dolce far niente. :001_wub:

I don't get to have a mental health day too often, but when I do, I just enjoy it. I used to feel guilty about it, but not anymore. I've learned that I need some down time in order to function, especially as a mom of a special needs child.

There are some things I feel guilty about. Sitting around on a Saturday isn't one of them. Everyone does it, and if you don't you should!

Really, what's the big deal? I am not so important that things will fall apart if I take a rest day.

Sigh, unfortunately, I do seem to be . . . I don't want to use the word "important," because everyone is important, but . . . "integral" to making life run reasonably well around here. I can't sit around on a Saturday, because if I did my daughter wouldn't get to work or get home from work, my son would miss dance conventions/competitions/rehearsals/performances and/or choir rehearsals/performances and would not get his weekly driving lesson. I would miss some of my scheduled work hours, which would mean my son's dance tuition wouldn't get paid. The pets wouldn't get fed, and approximately 50 other things wouldn't get done and/or would get done but only by making the rest of my family miserable. (The same is true of many Sundays, by the way.)

The reality is that, when I am out of commission for some reason, things do usually fall apart.

If I'm "doing nothing" sitting, I'll be asleep. My best naps are sleeping in the car while hubby drives.

If you mean spending the whole day on rest and relax, then I had done that for a few days in a row. I need my R&R to recharge.

I couldn't do it, even if I am sitting I am marking, or planning, or sewing (usually badges on uniforms), or grooming the dog etc.  There are times I sit and read but I can't do that for a whole day, I get stir crazy.  Generally speaking if I sit for more than about 20-30 minutes I am asleep, I can't help it.  If I actually relax I am asleep, if I am not relaxed then I get antsy sitting around doing nothing.

In my house if I take a day off it is due to severe illness, because taking a "mental health day" would mean missing work, and my house quite literally could burn down.  There is no such thing as a mental health day when you have kids with mental illness lol   

I did this yesterday.  I played a video game for the better part of 12 hours.  My husband was working, my kids were outside with friends or asleep.  My house was clean and I had nothing pressing going on.  

It makes me feel... greasy?  dirty?  restless?  Its not a good feeling regardless. Its not guilt, its just like I wasted a part of my life and I won't get that time back to do something better with it.

The older I get the more I need some down days.  I haven't gotten many this year and it has been harder to deal with.  

I don't feel guilty.  This is going to sound awful, but one reason I don't feel guilty is that I used to work full time, even after the kids were born.  They went to preschool full time.  DH begged me to quit and stay home, even though we discussed this before our marriage and I told him I had no intention of being a SAHM ever.  We finally found a compromise and I went to 2/3 time at my job.  He didn't even want that and after a lot of begging and pleading, I finally agreed to stay at home.  It has been almost 9 years of me staying home.  I still don't really like it.  

Dawn

Should mention the other reason I work hard: Hubby can operate all day and be exhausted and discover the vauum cleaner doesn't work or the dishwasher and take it apart and fix it so we don't go without. He makes me look incredibly lazy. So yeah, I feel guilty if I am not using every single minute to its fullest. Though I have decided that relaxing can sometimes be using it to its fullest. But it is hard when you live with the energizer bunny.

Yes! DH and I have different "busyness" personalities. He is a moving, hands on busy kind of guy, while I am a busy-in-my-mind sort of person. Especially when we were first married, I always felt uneasy if I were sitting thinking or reading/researching and he was up doing. It took us both a whole to realize that was okay. Honestly, I'm sure I judged him as much for not being able to sit down and relax (ever!) as he did me for not being always up and active.

I'm four weeks out from shoulder surgery. I spent two weeks literally sitting in a chair doing nothing. Then two weeks doing virtually nothing but my shoulder exercises and playing Lego games on the WII.

And nope I don't feel guilty. I have two teens at home and they have done a great job picking up the slack while I have been out of commission.

I do it regularly and don't feel the least bit guilty. In fact, I don't really understand the mindset of feeling guilty for taking a day to relax. Why? We're all human. We all need a break from time to time. 

But "relax" and "break" looks very different for different people.

Today I had an absolutely relaxing wonderful day. I went for a hike with DH, we were at the trailhead at 9am, then had a choir rehearsal and fantastic performance in the afternoon, and will now be finishing the day with a nice bbq dinner.

All in all, no work, lots of relaxation, and the feeling of having used the time wisely to nourish my body and my spirit, which, to me, is what  relaxation is all about.

I would not have that same fulfilled, balanced feeling if all I had done was sit on my butt and do nothing. I would feel guilty for not having given my body and soul what they need . (Now if my workday had me on my feet for 8 hours, sitting would be what my body needs - but I mainly sit at work or stand for 2-3 hours)

• Tuchus | Define Tuchus at Dictionary.com
    dictionary.reference.com/browse/tuchus‎
    •  
    •  

tokus definition. [ˈtokÉ™s] and [ˈtÊŠkÉ™s] and tukkis; tuchus. n. the buttocks; the rump. (Yiddish.) : Look at the tukkis on that fat guy.

I suspect it is much harder for women to just sit and do nothing  than it is for men. Even when they are sick, they often go into the kitchen to cook for their families.  I believe the time my wife spends on the PC playing on Pogo, or watching movies on the TV, or whatever, are very important for her to recharge her batteries. Women work their "tails" off for their families and need time to relax, whether it is sitting on their rear or whatever. When I complete a task, I feel good, because I have accomplished something, but it is also nice to do things that are not "work" or to do nothing.

Archived