Menu

Cloth Diaper Donations

sagira

My youngest is 3 and I have no need for many cloth diapers anymore. I remember on the Diaperswappers websites there was mention of cloth diaper donations. Where is a good, reputable place to do this? I spend a lot of time, love, and attention gathering our cloth diapers, and I don't want to just give them away. I need to know they are going to be used.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Maybe even here, FFS perhaps?

Please pardon my ignorance as I've not had babies in many years, but what's in diaper trends these days that would require a lot of love and attention? I just bought good quality diapers, used them, and have used them around the house for rags the past 15 years.

Please pardon my ignorance as I've not had babies in many years, but what's in diaper trends these days that would require a lot of love and attention? I just bought good quality diapers, used them, and have used them around the house for rags the past 15 years.

See Fuzzi Bunz, Bum Genius, et al.

You know that by getting rid of diapers, you are destined to come up pregnant right?

It's just as bad as selling your maternity clothes.

;)

:scared: :willy_nilly:  :svengo:

NO, no, no, nononono... seriously. Nuh uh. I am homeschooling only two (while trying to keep my young three-year-old in line) and.. no. I am already wondering how homeschooling three will look like!

That said, I've already gotten rid of all maternity clothes about six months ago  :p

Trying to purge. It is surprisingly emotional going through all these diapers.. No tears, just.. memories flooding I guess.

Please pardon my ignorance as I've not had babies in many years, but what's in diaper trends these days that would require a lot of love and attention? I just bought good quality diapers, used them, and have used them around the house for rags the past 15 years.

Ah, the hours and hours upon hours on Diaperswappers et al, the oohing and the aahing over all the selections, the research, the reading, and the drooling LOL  I spent a LOT of time of those boards, especially with my second. A lot of love went into holding inner pageants, and ultimately selecting the right diaper, as well as getting some cute custom ones for my last dd. I bought everything from prefolds (which yes, I still use around the house as rags but not too much on the baby) to fitteds with cute covers (my favorites!) to some beautiful custom all-in-ones for my third. I have some pretty wool covers too I can't get rid of. It was fun! I'm even keeping a selection for any grandbabies in the future - I'm only 37 and my oldest is 10, but these are too adorable to give away!

I remember feeling that way when I washed the diapers for DD for the final time. Granted, I was pregnant with DS1 at the time, so my hormones were a mess, but still, I remembered picking out those diapers for her and washing them for her before she was born.

A dear friend donated some diapers and wipes to me, and I was immensely grateful for them, because mine were worn out, and I needed some new ones for DS4. When I am done with them, I will pass them on to my sister if she wants them for her future kids, or I will ask on the local FB groups for babywearing and breastfeeding where I participate -- many of the moms there use cloth or would like to but can't afford the initial outlay. Is there an LLL or BWI group in your area? Or if you used a midwife, she might know someone who can use them. Also, if you have a local WIC office, they might pass them along.

If someone pays money for them, they are likely to used.  

I'd gotten about 30 prefolds from freecycle, and my aunt had gone a little nuts in the outlet store and I ended up with over a 100 prefolds.  So, I didn't Need any of the fancy ones.  But, they were so freakin' cute!  I bought several.  Mine are packed lovingly away.  

Small brag.  DH won us a free all-in-one in a timed Daddy diaper changing contest at the local diaper store.  6.1 seconds, and he was 6th.  

If someone pays money for them, they are likely to used.  

I'd gotten about 30 prefolds from freecycle, and my aunt had gone a little nuts in the outlet store and I ended up with over a 100 prefolds.  So, I didn't Need any of the fancy ones.  But, they were so freakin' cute!  I bought several.  Mine are packed lovingly away.  

Small brag.  DH won us a free all-in-one in a timed Daddy diaper changing contest at the local diaper store.  6.1 seconds, and he was 6th.  

Congrats! That's pretty amazing! 

I think you're right, at least a little something - like FFS. Some of them are in bad shape, but can be fixed with a bit of TLC and sewing skill (loose buttons).

Maybe you could also mention my favorite thing about cloth diapers.  I think this would be true of babies in general.  When she started to cry we had this list of things she might need and we ran through the list with the likeliest first.  We would have done everything except change her diaper, but we had checked it and it was totally dry.  But she'd still be crying.  Then we'd change her diaper, and it would finely register with her that we were Doing Something.  Then she would do an internal check and decide she was happy.  With disposables, I would have been too cheap to do that, and she would have cried a lot more 

Cotton Babies (diaper retailer) has a diaper bank where they help families in need start cloth diapering. I believe they are also trying to get other diaper banks started around the country. Perhaps they have an idea about where you could donate them if they do not take them for their bank.