Menu

Essentials in Writing: worth it just for the writing?

Wonder

This is my top pick so far for writing for DD Grade 5 next year.  I'm just wondering...for those who have used it...if your child is getting a good foundation in grammar from somewhere else, do you just skip the grammar sections?  If so, is it still "worth it?"  In these past couple of years of homeschooling (previously public schooled), my DD has done Abeka Language 3, some of FLL 3, and R&S Grammar 4.  We plan to use R&S Grammar 5 next year.  

Also, do you generally place your child at grade level with EIW?  I looked at Levels 5 and 6 and they look very similar.

I have just placed an order in after extensive research.

I remember reading that- you can skip the grammar. I think a lot of people do that to get to the writing. My dd, after doing CLE, won't need the grammar part either. But at this stage, I'm not sure whether I'll totally skip over it, or skip it for now and then come back after the writing is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if those of you who are using Essentials in Writing are skipping the grammar because it isn't thorough enough?  I was actually thinking it would be nice to have the grammar bit already in place as well as the writing.  It seems to be how the ladies at the Homeschool store was telling me the pros of this program was. 

Could some of you who have used it for grammar as well as the writing program chime in and let me know if it is sufficient as both?

Thanks!

Wondering if those of you who are using Essentials in Writing are skipping the grammar because it isn't thorough enough? I was actually thinking it would be nice to have the grammar bit already in place as well as the writing. It seems to be how the ladies at the Homeschool store was telling me the pros of this program was.

Could some of you who have used it for grammar as well as the writing program chime in and let me know if it is sufficient as both?

Thanks!

I am using it for both and I like having grammar and writing in one and I feel it is enough. My kids will have several years of grammar instruction when we reach 7th grade with the program, my third year btw. I feel it is enough, and don't add in anything else. I was considering adding in CAP Fables, just for fun and it looks good, still deciding on that :).

I am using it for both and I like having grammar and writing in one and I feel it is enough. My kids will have several years of grammar instruction when we reach 7th grade with the program, my third year btw. I feel it is enough, and don't add in anything else. I was considering adding in CAP Fables, just for fun and it looks good, still deciding on that :).

Thanks!  I am considering the CAP as well and couldn't decide between the two.  

I am using levels 2, 7, and 9.  In regards to the language arts curriculum I add in spelling separately and literature.  I think it is enough for grammar honestly but still use another program with my 2nd graders that adds grammar in connection to literature.  The 7th and 9th grade levels do not have grammar but by then they should know it.  I think it is enough on its own but even just for writing it is pretty good.  I am happy with it.