Menu

Grrr! Really don't like the idea of legal thc food

Tohru

I live in one of the states where they have legalized marijuana.  I am pro-legalization, however I am appalled that the product can now be sold in a form that resembles what I call "children's food."

The other day I saw a delivery truck that had super large pictures of delicious looking frosted cupcakes with sprinkles, chocolate covered pretzel sticks, and colorful lollipops plastered all over the sidewalls.  It looked like a regular baker's truck, however it was all THC laced desserts.  This bothers me so much! 

I don't know, I think I want to petition against the sale of thc baked goods, but I don't know if it is a stupid idea or where to even start. It is big business - about 40% of maurijuana business comes from the sale of these products.  If the food didn't look so appealing to young children, I wouldn't care so much. 

Sure, only adults can buy it, but shouldn't adults be able to consume it in a more adult-appropriate form, rather than something that looks like children's food?

I guess I never thought of baked goods as only "children's food."  There are quite a few alcoholic drinks that look like they could be "children's drinks," with lots of sugar and bright colors.  I just don't let my dd eat or drink something if I don't know where it came from or what's in it.

I guess I never thought of baked goods as only "children's food."  There are quite a few alcoholic drinks that look like they could be "children's drinks," with lots of sugar and bright colors.  I just don't let my dd eat or drink something if I don't know where it came from or what's in it.

The drinks have to be made at a bar or at home.  These products are sold in that form, ready to consume, like opening a package of Twinkies.

The scary part is someone consuming them not knowing they are loaded with a little extra.  I remember in college kids being given brownies as a joke and not being told there was marijuana in them. Can't you see Mom and Dad sleeping in late on a Saturday and their little ones seeing a cupcake or two left out from the festivities the evening before and thinking breakfast!  I wonder if the lawmakers thought of this side of things when they legalized pot.

The drinks have to be made at a bar or at home.  These products are sold in that form, ready to consume, like opening a package of Twinkies.

Not necessarily.  You can buy a six pack of brightly-colored, sweet drinks from any liquor store.  When marijuana becomes legal in my state, I plan to talk to dd about it and take the same precautions I would with drinks.  I'm sure it seems scary because it's new, but I think as long as people take reasonable precautions the way they would with beverages, it won't be much of an issue.  Kids can understand that baked goods might have medicine in them, and if you don't know where one came from or what's in it, it's better not to eat it.

The scary part is someone consuming them not knowing they are loaded with a little extra.  I remember in college kids being given brownies as a joke and not being told there was marijuana in them. Can't you see Mom and Dad sleeping in late on a Saturday and their little ones seeing a cupcake or two left out from the festivities the evening before and thinking breakfast!  I wonder if the lawmakers thought of this side of things when they legalized pot.

If adults with small children leave baked goods with pot in them lying around while they're passed out and the children eat them and get sick, the parents should be prosecuted.  Parents need to take the same precautions they would with alcohol.

Not necessarily. You can buy a six pack of brightly-colored, sweet drinks from any liquor store. When marijuana becomes legal in my state, I plan to talk to dd about it and take the same precautions I would with drinks. I'm sure it seems scary because it's new, but I think as long as people take reasonable precautions the way they would with beverages, it won't be much of an issue. Kids can understand that baked goods might have medicine in them, and if you don't know where one came from or what's in it, it's better not to eat it.

Or brightly colored detergent pods or cleaners. Gummy vitamins, medicine... All kinds of dangerous items are visually attractive to children. If you have it in your house, you as a parent need to take safety precautions just as you would for any other potentially dangerous item.

Mergath,

It isn't called 'medicine', it is THC.  We legalized.  We have MMJ (medical) and we have the stuff you can just buy.

One can walk into a liquor store and buy a 6 pack of whatever that looks yummy to children, but most children can understand it is an adult drink.  But how does a small child process that an innocent looking cupcake with sprinkles is bad, or a lollipop, or a pretzel stick, or a gummy bear?  Really, adults do not need to have the option of swirl lollipops to get high. 

I am PRO legalization, but there have been DEATHS in our state related to these "edibles". 

Or brightly colored detergent pods or cleaners. Gummy vitamins, medicine... All kinds of dangerous items are visually attractive to children. If you have it in your house, you as a parent need to take safety precautions just as you would for any other potentially dangerous item.

But what about older children that wouldn't eat a detergent pod, but would accept a Twinkie from a friend?

It bothers me.  I live in this state.

Walmart (and presumably liquor stores) sells single serve bottles of flavored vodka for $1 and they're flavors like birthday cake, chocolate, etc.   Many are brightly colored and look SO appealing to kids.  I wonder how many have been shoplifted by kids or teens- I don't drink but people tell me these drinks are sweet and taste like candy. For a while they were just dumped in a big bin right where people walk in the door. I saw SO many kids playing with that display and wonder how many parents bought their kids one not realizing it was alcohol. 

I clicked on this thread hoping that there was a typo, that it was really about Legal Sea Foods (the restaurant chain)  :)

I too live in such a state.  I hadn't thought about it yet, but looking ahead to high school, I'm beginning to imagine telling my kids not to eat at parties.

Mergath,

It isn't called 'medicine', it is THC. We legalized. We have MMJ (medical) and we have the stuff you can just buy.

One can walk into a liquor store and buy a 6 pack of whatever that looks yummy to children, but most children can understand it is an adult drink. But how does a small child process that an innocent looking cupcake with sprinkles is bad, or a lollipop, or a pretzel stick, or a gummy bear? Really, adults do not need to have the option of swirl lollipops to get high.

I am PRO legalization, but there have been DEATHS in our state related to these "edibles".

How is a bright red bottle of whatever nasty malt liquor drink vs bright red soda pop (or a frozen margarita/daiquiri thing vs its virgin form) easier to parse than baked goods or candy?

Kids have died from eating detergents and medicine too. That's not the fault of the product, it's the child's access to the product.

I would hope it's sort of a honeymoon phase that will settle down and get boring after a while. I would imagine those giant cupcakes are expensive. And fattening! Even pot can't make a low carb brownie palatable. ;)

We just had an article on this in a local paper. We have legal medical marijuana in OR (have for years), but new this year is it is now legal to have dispensaries--you used to have to grow your own or find a registered legal grower. Now there will be store fronts where those with a medical card to buy medical marijuana can go to buy. There was a newspaper article about the first one to open in our town. The owners put in a bakery case specifically to sell marijuana baked treats, but then it was determined that they WON'T be allowed to sell those products specifically for the reason the OP brings up--too much potential that they'll end up in the hands of kids. So I think it's very appropriate to get in touch with your state legislature representatives and lobby to stop the selling of those products. Here's a precedent for you in Oregon.

my brother did this.  he grew and dealt - and made a batch of laced cookies.  he was stoned when he gave me (I was about 14) one so his laughing like a hyena gave it away that something was up and I tossed the cookie.   but there will be adults who think this is funny and will deliberately give it to children who have no clue.

eta: every once in a while, there are stories of adults giving it to their own very young kids in more traditional forms.  and cps being called, and taking the kids away.  so to have it in baked goods will just make it more readily accessed.

But what about older children that wouldn't eat a detergent pod, but would accept a Twinkie from a friend?

It bothers me.  I live in this state.  People have died.

If I remember correctly, the first person that died ate the entire cookie.  At 19, he should have listened to the clerk and only ate 1/6th of the cookie.  People expect these things to be an instantaneous high, but it isn't that way.  It takes a few hours for the effects to be felt.  The other case I recall, a man who shot his wife, took his prescription pain pills, then ate a laced candy, and started hallucinating.  I'm not sure how this can be preventable.  He mixed drugs.  You never mix drugs, legal or illegal.

Sure, only adults can buy it, but shouldn't adults be able to consume it in a more adult-appropriate form, rather than something that looks like children's food?

What is "adult-appropriate form"?  I have seen the bottles for the candy.  My children would have never guessed that a laced piece of candy was in these bottles.  Now the edibles, from what I understand, they are looking for a way to make them instantly detectable that they have THC in them.  There is a bill that passed the House and is on its way to the Senate that will make it a requirement.  Most of the people getting sick from laced candy are toddlers.  I know children are difficult little monsters at times, but it isn't hard to find a nice high place, in a locked box if necessary, to hide these "treats".  It comes down to parent responsibility.  My liquor is locked up and if I had drugs, they would be locked up as well.

We just had an article on this in a local paper. We have legal medical marijuana in OR (have for years), but new this year is it is now legal to have dispensaries--you used to have to grow your own or find a registered legal grower. Now there will be store fronts where those with a medical card to buy medical marijuana can go to buy. There was a newspaper article about the first one to open in our town. The owners put in a bakery case specifically to sell marijuana baked treats, but then it was determined that they WON'T be allowed to sell those products specifically for the reason the OP brings up--too much potential that they'll end up in the hands of kids. So I think it's very appropriate to get in touch with your state legislature representatives and lobby to stop the selling of those products. Here's a precedent for you in Oregon.

Actually, they dropped the proposed edible ban in Oregon.  "In a new set of rules released Monday, the Oregon Health Authority seeks only to ban marijuana-laced products that are made or packaged in ways that might appeal to children. They prohibit marijuana-infused goods that are brightly colored or formed in the shape of animals, toys or candies."

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2014/30428/oregon-officials-drop-proposed-ban-on-medical-marijuana-edibles/

The picture they show on that page, I think, would be appropriate to prevent children from being too curious.

Mergath,

It isn't called 'medicine', it is THC.  We legalized.  We have MMJ (medical) and we have the stuff you can just buy.

One can walk into a liquor store and buy a 6 pack of whatever that looks yummy to children, but most children can understand it is an adult drink.  But how does a small child process that an innocent looking cupcake with sprinkles is bad, or a lollipop, or a pretzel stick, or a gummy bear?  Really, adults do not need to have the option of swirl lollipops to get high. 

A lot of people use it for medical purposes regardless of whether it's fully legalized or just medical marijuana.  I've heard of people using pot to treat epilepsy, and I'm hoping to try that for my own epilepsy when it's legalized here.

There was that scene in Parenthood where an (adult) character was given an edible but thought it was just a lollipop.

It was played as comedy, but c'mon.

However, I will say, if your kids have access to these things, you are not doing parenting right.

years ago a friend kept her children out of a wooded area across from their home because teens would hand there and give drugs to little kids to get them hooked - and use them as runners/messengers and keep giving them drugs to do their bidding.  legalization (I live in a legal state) just makes it easier for those who would use kids this way.

and now little kids are dealing.

sure the grandparents should have locked it up if they wanted it so badly - but the fact is there will be adults who want the money they can get from selling to underage users.

Two ten year old kids were caught "dealing" edible pot (I forget what form, but I think it was a candy form) on the school playground. They got it from their grandparents' home, and the grandparents had legally purchased it.

Ten. Years. Old.

Two ten year old kids were caught "dealing" edible pot (I forget what form, but I think it was a candy form) on the school playground. They got it from their grandparents' home, and the grandparents had legally purchased it.

Ten. Years. Old.

Children sell illegal drugs at young ages all across the country. It's horribly sad. Hopefully the grandparents weren't fronting the business. :/

The problem with legalizing it is there is no accountability as to what strength any of it is or what else someone managed to lace it with.  There has already been one death from a person ingesting pot laced with something else they didn't know was there.

If you live in a place where it's legalized, those who buy it can turn it into cute treats in their own homes so I guess I don't get the problem. Heck, people do those things now even in places it's not legal. If it becomes legal here, I will be having talks with both dds about how it can be hidden. I will have to hope and pray they make good decisions just like I do with smoking, drinking, and other drugs. We just had one of those talks about ecigs because it's not yet illegal here to sell to minors.

Kids need to be taught to be aware that marijuana, like alcohol, can be put into things that make it not obvious it's there. When sold, non-child-attractive packaging and shapes is a reasonable restriction, but especially for medical use, it's reasonable for it to be available in a form that can be eaten rather than inhaled (just as for medical use inhaled form may be more appropriate for some people, such as those treating severe nausea symptoms).

I'm with the "same diff as sweet alcohol drinks" camp. And the bugbear of kids getting their hands on it and dealing it? Exact same situation as if they stole liquor or prescription meds or Playboy magazines from their grandparents and sold that, or swiped their own ADHD meds and sold that, etc. "Keep out of Reach of Children" should be a common-sense warning label and rule, just as it is for other things not meant for children, and wrongful behavior should not be blamed on the adult material itself.

Now, the account of the guy OD'ing on a cookie because he ate the whole thing suggests the cookies should be either portioned or dosed differently. This doesn't mean the product shouldn't be sold at all, but perhaps better regulated.

It bothers me.  I live in this state.

Totally agree with your concern. 

I have warned my kids so many times about not accepting food/candy from friends on the bus, but it continues to occur. 

My kids would pause before drinking something out of unfamiliar container (such as alcohol drinks), but would likely eat any cupcake lying around or given to them without a second though. Thankfully, not in that state, but could see how it could easily happen. 

In my opinion, THIS (everything being said here) is why it should NOT have been made legal.  They claimed it would cause less problems when in fact it is causing MUCH MUCH more.

Anyone who had to live with someone who smoked pot on a regular basis would not have wanted it made legal.  I am speaking from experience.  Pot is BAD stuff and causes WAY more problems than anyone wants to admit.

and the people getting arrested for having a "small"  (*only* a dozen plants) grow operation and claiming it is *all* for their personal use are lying through their teeth.  my brother never had more than half a dozen - and he not only used regularly, he sold the rest.

In my opinion, THIS (everything being said here) is why it should NOT have been made legal.  They claimed it would cause less problems when in fact it is causing MUCH MUCH more.

Anyone who had to live with someone who smoked pot on a regular basis would not have wanted it made legal.  I am speaking from experience.  Pot is BAD stuff and causes WAY more problems than anyone wants to admit.

What problems has it caused? 

After I made my post about "if your kids have access to this stuff, you're not doing parenting right", I reflected I have zero patience with anyone who makes that argument about guns. But, the risks of having a gun in your home are well-documented.  The risks of the existence of TCH food ----- I haven't seen any evidence of it at all, other than "increased some people's anxiety".

Your second paragraph sounds exactly like how many people feel about alcohol, which no one is attempted to prohibit, as far as I know.

Ten. Years. Old.

That's poor parenting. That has nothing to do with it being legalized.

A lot of people use it for medical purposes regardless of whether it's fully legalized or just medical marijuana.  I've heard of people using pot to treat epilepsy, and I'm hoping to try that for my own epilepsy when it's legalized here.

:iagree:   I can see many people using it for all sorts of purposes. Some of the drugs I've been prescribed were ineffective or dangerous. Why would I choose migraines as a side effect instead of the munchies?

Also, if I were to use marijuana as a medicine I'd much prefer it in the form of chocolate than something I'd have to smoke.

Disagree. I can buy these drink pouches at Target, the grocery store or nearly anywhere here:

Pouch-Me-e1341255308469.jpg

I agree with Ravin that it's important to emphasize to one's kids that lots of things can be put into drinks and foods that you wouldn't want to ingest. 

Now, the account of the guy OD'ing on a cookie because he ate the whole thing suggests the cookies should be either portioned or dosed differently. This doesn't mean the product shouldn't be sold at all, but perhaps better regulated.

I agree with this too. When something is legal, it takes time, but typically winds up with greater regulations.

I am not for legalization (long story), but I would think that it is better to have baked goods prepackaged so many people will buy those rather than people making their own and kids accidentally eating them because they are not labeled. Kids in your state will have to learn to recognize the packages like they do with beer and other adult things. I have a few family members who drink beer, and by 2 my kids could recognize the beer containers as things they could not have, but they did not know that beer could be poured into a cup and that is still an adult drink at that age. Thankfully my kids never got ahold of beer in a cup, but I could see it happening. Does that make sense?

Disagree. I can buy these drink pouches at Target, the grocery store or nearly anywhere here:

Pouch-Me-e1341255308469.jpg

I agree with Ravin that it's important to emphasize to one's kids that lots of things can be put into drinks and foods that you wouldn't want to ingest. 

You can't buy anything like this here unless you are in a liquor store.  

I don't have a dog in this fight as it is not likely my state would legalize marijuana, however it does bother me that they would sell cupcakes and lollipops like this. States that allow it should have stiff penalties for people who allow children to get ahold of them. 

These thc "edible treats" ARE NOT LABELED!  There are not any regulations in place like with alcohol.  Right now they are drafting a bill that would require a label to say "not for children."

And for the record, we've had legal MMJ (medical marijuana) for years and it's NEVER been a problem before with those that need use it for medicinal purposes.  Yes, they have MMJ in the form of chocolate and lozenges, however this stuff that specifically looks like children's food is being sold for "recreational" purposes. 

Maybe some adults enjoy children's treats, but legal thc cupcakes just to get high...really? Why?

I have a chronic pain condition. I don't take the weird meds that Drs like to prescribe for pain but I would be willing to try MM. I don't want to smoke anything,  my grandmother died from lung cancer. Smoking pot is  bad for your lungs.  I would prefer edibles. If it was in cupcake form that would be fine, thanks. :lol:

I think labeling is necessary but I would be opposed to adding regulations just because people are dumb. This is why we can't have Kindereggs THIS IS WHY WE CANNOT HAVE KINDEREGGS!!!

The state I am in does not have legal thc in any form but I can buy those little parrot bay pouches at walmart if I wanted. 

My  younger sister makes cupcakes with Guiness. They aren't always kid's treats.

Many people who need medical marijuana suffer from severe nausea or lack of appetite. These types of foods make both the food and the thc more appealing. Lollipops especially are easy to consume even if you are nauseated or suffering from lack of appetite. Also, many people want the benefits of thc without feeling like a druggie.

Many people who need medical marijuana suffer from severe nausea or lack of appetite. These types of foods make both the food and the thc more appealing. Lollipops especially are easy to consume even if you are nauseated or suffering from lack of appetite. Also, many people want the benefits of thc without feeling like a druggie.

This food is sold is for RECREATIONAL purposes,not medical.  Why doesn't any one get that?  We've had legal medical products for years.

Since the legalization for recreational purposes, some one has died eating too many cookies, numerous children have gone to ER for eating laced cupcakes and candy - all ages toddlers to teens...it bothers me.  No labels, laced children's food.  Am I the only person that thinks that is wrong?

This food is sold is for RECREATIONAL purposes,not medical.  Why doesn't any one get that?  We've had legal medical products for years.

Since the legalization for recreational purposes, some one has died eating too many cookies, numerous children have gone to ER for eating laced cupcakes and candy - all ages toddlers to teens...it bothers me.  No labels, laced children's food.  Am I the only person that thinks that is wrong?

One never knows why someone is buying something. Either way, it is legal. 

People have also died from drinking too much alcohol. I would be against "eating too many cookies" as a reason for increased regulation. I wouldn't want it to happen for anything else so IMO pot is no different.

Kids end up in the ER for taking their parent's prescriptions or drinking their alcohol as well. I am against adding regulations because other people are irresponsible. 

If people were making that argument about  guns there would be millions of dollars being thrown around to prevent regulation. Adults have to be responsible. 

This food is sold is for RECREATIONAL purposes,not medical. Why doesn't any one get that? We've had legal medical products for years.

Since the legalization for recreational purposes, some one has died eating too many cookies, numerous children have gone to ER for eating laced cupcakes and candy - all ages toddlers to teens...it bothers me. No labels, laced children's food. Am I the only person that thinks that is wrong?

If it is the way you are describing it, I think it's wrong.

One never knows why someone is buying something. Either way, it is legal. 

People have also died from drinking too much alcohol. I would be against "eating too many cookies" as a reason for increased regulation. I wouldn't want it to happen for anything else so IMO pot is no different.

Kids end up in the ER for taking their parent's prescriptions or drinking their alcohol as well. I am against adding regulations because other people are irresponsible. 

If people were making that argument about  guns there would be millions of dollars being thrown around to prevent regulation. Adults have to be responsible. 

You're right.  It's legal.  People are stupid and we don't need to protect people from their stupidity. 

In a perfect world, adults should be grown ups, but instead we live in a society in which many adults don't ever grow up and some of them need their frosted cupcakes with sprinkles and Tinkerbell-shaped lollipops to get high.

You're right.  It's legal.  People are stupid and we don't need to protect people from their stupidity. 

In a perfect world, adults should be grown ups, but instead we live in a society in which many adults don't ever grow up and some of them need their frosted cupcakes with sprinkles and Tinkerbell-shaped lollipops to get high.

Lollipops are prescribed to cancer patients. 

Adults can order alcoholic beverages that taste like cupcakes.

Adults do need to be responsible I don't support regulations on the basis that people do dumb things.

IMO they should be labeled, with dosage information. 

The man that died (I am going to assume you are in Colorado) ate ONE cookie.  He was informed to not eat more than 1/6th of the cookie.  He was looking for that instantaneous buzz you get with smoking.  Ingesting marijuana is like a time released pill.  It has to go through your blood stream.  It can take up to 3 hours for the effect to be felt.  For people with chronic conditions, this is a good thing.  The high lasts longer when you ingest it rather than smoke it.  There are labels on these foods. 

On one of the bottles I have it states "There may be health risks associated with the consumption of this product.  This product is intended for use by adults 21 years or older.  Keep out of the reach of children.  This product is unlawful outside the state of Colorado.  There may be additional health risks associated with the consumption of this product for women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or are planning on becoming pregnant.  Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while using marijuana."

Even on the cupcakes, they have a label.  It states how much THC is in the product, how much is the recommended dosage, and gives the above statement as well.  I believe there is even a nutritional label on them as well (the bottle that was brought home as a souvenir has one).  These are not just cupcakes and cookies laid out and freely given.  The clerks advise how much to eat and explain the risks.  You are well aware upon exiting the store that this is a drug, this is dangerous and you should keep what you have bought out of the reach of children.

Do you feel the same way about alcohol and guns?

Why is this different?

The man that died (I am going to assume you are in Colorado) ate ONE cookie.  He was informed to not eat more than 1/6th of the cookie.  He was looking for that instantaneous buzz you get with smoking.  Ingesting marijuana is like a time released pill.  It has to go through your blood stream.  It can take up to 3 hours for the effect to be felt.  For people with chronic conditions, this is a good thing.  The high lasts longer when you ingest it rather than smoke it.  There are labels on these foods. 

On one of the bottles I have it states "There may be health risks associated with the consumption of this product.  This product is intended for use by adults 21 years or older.  Keep out of the reach of children.  This product is unlawful outside the state of Colorado.  There may be additional health risks associated with the consumption of this product for women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or are planning on becoming pregnant.  Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while using marijuana."

Even on the cupcakes, they have a label.  It states how much THC is in the product, how much is the recommended dosage, and gives the above statement as well.  I believe there is even a nutritional label on them as well (the bottle that was brought home as a souvenir has one).  These are not just cupcakes and cookies laid out and freely given.  The clerks advise how much to eat and explain the risks.  You are well aware upon exiting the store that this is a drug, this is dangerous and you should keep what you have bought out of the reach of children.

Well then IMO they are doing what needs to be done.

This food is sold is for RECREATIONAL purposes,not medical. Why doesn't any one get that? We've had legal medical products for years.

Since the legalization for recreational purposes, some one has died eating too many cookies, numerous children have gone to ER for eating laced cupcakes and candy - all ages toddlers to teens...it bothers me. No labels, laced children's food. Am I the only person that thinks that is wrong?

That's similar to what goes through my mind regarding guns every time another news story pops up about a child injured or killed in a gun accident.