Menu

Anyone combine kids that are one grade level apart for Rod and Staff or Easy Grammar?

avazquez24

I think I have grammar narrowed down to Rod and Staff and Easy Grammar (both of which we have never used).  I have decided that I want to try and combine both dd and ds for grammar.  They are one grade level apart and the more areas we can combine and do together, the better!  Next year dd will be in 3rd grade and ds will be in 2nd.  I am looking into either using R&S Grade 3 or Easy Grammar Grade 3.  DD will start using CAP W&R (has used WWE 1 and 2) and I just started DS on WWE 1 this week.  Ds picks up on things very fast and has a GREAT memory, but his fine motor skills are just delayed (reason I held off on WWE until now).  As of now if I went with R&S, I plan on using only the grammar and skipping the writing. 

So, looking to see if anyone has combined children who are one grade level apart for either R&S or EG?  Since I can't seem to decide between the two, I'm thinking maybe if one were easier than the other to combine, then that may help me decide.

I would do it if I could.

I take 2 years to do each book. So, in 3rd grade, my student starts on the 4th grade book. He works on it for 3rd and 4th grade. In 5th grade, my student starts on the 6th grade book. He works on it for 5th and 6th. (this way I just buy every other book.)

I clearly believe that a child can work a year ahead or behind or at level for Rod and Staff. By taking 2 years to complete a book, we can spend longer on each lesson if a child doesn't get it quickly.

If my kids were only a year apart, I would totally have them in the same book.

Edited to correct my improper use of the plural pronoun 'they'. Changed it to "he," not because of tradition but because my students are male. :)

I combined my two oldest at the beginning of the year in R&S.  We did the lessons together where they would take turns answering orally or diagram on the whiteboard.   We would carry over what we were learning in R&S and analyze a few sentences from our fable/short story of the week, a la Classical Writing.  For instance, when we were learning diagraming simple subjects/predicates in R&S, I would pick two sentences from our story and have them diagram "real" sentences.  Or we would pick out nouns and verbs, or whatever our grammar lesson was on.  I also skipped all reviews and composition lessons, which leaves you with 80 grammar lessons/year in each textbook from R&S 3-7 (the books I own).  So my plan was to do two grammar lessons a week for 40 weeks.  So yes, you can combine with R&S.  I don't know if you're thinking of doing it orally like I did or not.

However, because of having baby #6 and then a move overseas, I needed to go back to something less dependent on ME.  I ended up going back to having them do their own lessons in separate grade levels again..  I sit with each child, review the previous work with them, read the new lesson together, go over the odds and have them write them evens.  I haven't added CW back into our school day yet.. I've been thinking about how I'm going to go about it now that we are settled into our new home and the baby is beginning to sleep through the night...

Listening in because next year I, too, will have a 3rd grade girl and a 2nd grade boy.  And I agree - anything I can combine is a HUGE help!

I have used both R&S and Easy Grammar with my older girls.  They are both excellent programs, just very different.  Easy Grammar is more of a "get it done" approach and workbooky; R&S is teacher intensive and rigorous.  Personally, we had great success using mostly R&S and then perhaps a year of Easy Grammar for a break now and then.  Once my girls got to high school, we dropped grammar and used Daily Grams - perfect for review and reinforcement!

I was considering doing Easy Grammar 2 with both kids next year, then starting R&S the following year.  Easy Grammar 2 is bit more teacher intensive than the older grades, which is fine for these young ages, and probably a lovely introduction to grammar.   I've heard from a lot of people that R&S Level 2 is a weaker year.

One piece of advice . . . R&S is quite rigorous, so feel free to use the "lower" grade for both kids if need be.  JMO.

I think I have grammar narrowed down to Rod and Staff and Easy Grammar (both of which we have never used).  I have decided that I want to try and combine both dd and ds for grammar.  They are one grade level apart and the more areas we can combine and do together, the better!  Next year dd will be in 3rd grade and ds will be in 2nd.  I am looking into either using R&S Grade 3 or Easy Grammar Grade 3.  DD will start using CAP W&R (has used WWE 1 and 2) and I just started DS on WWE 1 this week.  Ds picks up on things very fast and has a GREAT memory, but his fine motor skills are just delayed (reason I held off on WWE until now).  As of now if I went with R&S, I plan on using only the grammar and skipping the writing. 

So, looking to see if anyone has combined children who are one grade level apart for either R&S or EG?  Since I can't seem to decide between the two, I'm thinking maybe if one were easier than the other to combine, then that may help me decide.

How close in age are they? Grade level doesn't tell me as much as their ages would. :-)

If they are close enough in age, they might both be able to do R&S's third grade book. Or you could do the same Easy Grammar level next year, then have both do the same R&S book the following year.

How close in age are they? Grade level doesn't tell me as much as their ages would. :-)

If they are close enough in age, they might both be able to do R&S's third grade book. Or you could do the same Easy Grammar level next year, then have both do the same R&S book the following year.

They are 15 months apart:)  DD will be 8 in a  little over a month then DS will turn 7 about 3 months later

They are 15 months apart:)  DD will be 8 in a  little over a month then DS will turn 7 about 3 months later

Fifteen months is a pretty big age difference when it comes to English skills. I would probably not try to keep them together for this. History and science and reading aloud to them from good books and field trips...together. Grammar and writing...probably not.

I am sure it would be alright to combine kids with Easy Grammar. I buy EG a grade-ahead of my kids' current grades, then use the book three or four days a week over two years. The first year I did this, my ds was in 2nd grade, so I purchased the Grade 3 book. He did just fine!