Menu

My boys have requested History broken into daily lessons

Mandylubug

My boys favorite curriculum choices are their Rod and Staff Math and English because each day is assigned a lesson number on the top page. They don't have to check the white board for page numbers, etc. They know to complete that entire day's lesson by following the lesson numbers.

I notice most if not all History and Science is divided into Units. I have tried the "Finish Chapter 10 this week" and or exact page numbers for the day but they still feel like the "requirements" for the day aren't concrete or black and white for them.

We are currently using SOTW2 with Kingfisher and video links to each chapter. For science we tried to finish Apologia Astronomy (SNORE) and we are on a science break.

I am currently just looking at 6th grade level texts at this point. They want independence.

BJU Heritage Studies or Abeka might work if you could find one of the courses to your liking. They don't follow the SOTW progression but they do have specific daily lesson plans in the teacher guides.  If you wanted to do American History, you could try America the Beautiful from Notgrass. It has daily lessons laid out very clearly. 

I like the look of the Notgrass curriculum. Looks a little pricey, though. That is the right direction.

This might not be what you want, but we use History Odyssey. For each unit, it has a list of assignments -- pages to read, writing assignments, mapwork, words to look up (well, that's in Level 1), projects. I just go through and draw lines to indicate what I feel is a reasonable day's work for my children -- for instance, half a chapter of SOTW and a map page -- and then the kids can tell what they're supposed to do, without needing to ask me.

I planned out ds' Environmental Science this way--Just got a spiral notebook and literally wrote out his daily assignment, including page number, questions to answer, and any links.

I'm a little confused as to what your kiddos actually want. For history, could you not just do the above, with an assignment for each day in a notebook? How is having to look at a white board for an assignment not independent? Do they want freedom to go ahead in the book or something?

I plan to use BJU for middle school. 6th through 8th grades cover all of world and US history. The student actvities manuals look amazing and include outlining, mapping, source documents, graphic organizers, essay writing, etc. It will be a little pricey,but the skills taught are worth it to me. I think it will definitely prepare ds for high school level work.

K12 will do that for you, only if you go with the online content {which is fab anyway.}

BJU/ABeka was too slanted toward their particular brand of Christian for us.

Notgrass is also religious based.

Frankly, finding any text like that not religious based for homeschoolers feels impossible. If you find one, let me know.