Menu

Spanish for Elementary

Wonder

What are the main recommendations for a Spanish curriculum for elem. kiddos?  This would be for two 2nd graders and a 5th grader (hopefully together - is this doable?).  I'm looking for something that's not super expensive.  It would not necessarily need a DVD or CD as I lived in a Spanish speaking country as a child long enough to have somewhat of an "okay" accent.  Probably a bit "American" but not bad enough to necessitate a DVD or CD program. :)  My experience is that I took up to Spanish 4 in the U.S. (finished in 10th grade), but feel I've forgotten so much of it.  

Any suggestions and sharing of experiences would be greatly appreciated!

I agree, GSWS wasn't great for my 2nd grader.  I'm still looking for something great for her.  She's been using this spanish workbook linked below just to learn vocab and stuff, but I need to figure out something else.  I can't do her together with her 6th grade sister, unfortunately.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0769685641/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I loved this curriculum and I hardly ever hear of anyone else using it:

http://www.spanish-for-kids.com/

We did a group lesson with a couple homeschool families and we had kids ages 5-10.  One of the moms in the group is a native spanish speaker, and she helped us come up with all kinds of games to reinforce.  IT was super fun.

I have a fifth grader and first grader. For DS10 I use Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Spanish Book 1 with the Teacher book and no CD ROM (I took eight years of Spanish in school). All the exercises except very few computer ones are in the TM. He also uses Rosetta Stone HS and Duolingo Spanish with Headventureland Spanish games.

DD6 is off and on with The Easy Spanish K-3 and mostly with Complete Book of Spanish 1-3. We discuss, I help her. Next year I'll have her do Rosetta Stone. I think.

DD3 watches Muzzy and Cantemos once in a while (all kids watch)- and Rock N Learn Spanish (from the library) has been a hit here. After Rock N Learn we'll go back to Cantemos and Muzzy. We also have a few Hello Kitty videos in a Spanish. Again, all watch.