Menu

Why does Art Robinson want my urine?

Momling

Today I got a flyer addressed to 'postal customer' in the mail from Art Robinson at the "Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine". My kids had fun looking for logical fallacies and enjoying the particularly pointless graphs... But I still can't figure out why he wants me to submit a urine sample. Is he trying to sell me something? Regain his lost reputation as a scientist? Is he just a total nutcase? I thought he'd be too busy denying global warming and picketing abortion clinics or running for office or building underground bunkers or something to want my neighborhood's bodily fluids. According to the flyer "We need samples of your urine in order to calibrate analytical procedures that can revolutionize the evaluation of personal chemistry - and thereby improve our health, our happiness and prosperity, and even the academic performance of our children in school."

Thoughts??

I don't think he'd build a bunker, because radiation is good. I'd be inclined to send a sample of apple juice and see if he lets you know the results.

http://www.kval.com/politics/Oregon-GOP-chairman-Please-send-your-urine-223696991.html?mobile=y

It's from September, but I can't imagine his reasoning has changed much since then.

Umm, how does he propose to do long term follow up? And what about medical privacy issues?

Nutjob.

I've always liked Art Robinson.

His research - tracking cells deposited in urine over time to see if they correlate with the progression of disease, to me, sounds like a noble endeaver.

You mean he is actually checking to see if someone is polluting our precious bodily fluids? 

This board keeps me rolling!!!

Yep - the Robinson curriculum guy...
And apparently my pee is to be sent through the post.

Ack!

You can't mail urine. It had to be sent Fed ex.

Um, why do you know this?  There must be a story.

The thread title made me LOL. Seems perfect for a Friday night.

Agreed!!

Why doesn't he want mine?  Is my urine not good enough?  

Mine isn't either.  I am left out of all the good medical studies.

Today I got a flyer addressed to 'postal customer' in the mail from Art Robinson at the "Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine". My kids had fun looking for logical fallacies and enjoying the particularly pointless graphs... But I still can't figure out why he wants me to submit a urine sample. Is he trying to sell me something? Regain his lost reputation as a scientist? Is he just a total nutcase? I thought he'd be too busy denying global warming and picketing abortion clinics or running for office or building underground bunkers or something to want my neighborhood's bodily fluids. According to the flyer "We need samples of your urine in order to calibrate analytical procedures that can revolutionize the evaluation of personal chemistry - and thereby improve our health, our happiness and prosperity, and even the academic performance of our children in school."

Thoughts??

Um. That's REALLY weird!

Um, why do you know this?  There must be a story.

I know this because it's true of all bodily fluids. Same reason breastmilk must be sent FedEx. USPS won't ship it.

They will, however, ship live chicks.

Why doesn't he want mine? Is my urine not good enough?

I guess mine isn't good enough, either, although I prefer to believe that Art sent me a handwritten personal request but it was lost in the mail.

Did he send people a super-special sanitized urine receptacle to put it in? ;)

Maybe they're just distracted by the letter they just got in the mail from Art Robinson... :eek:

I don't think the Robinson dude has enough $$ to fund that many flyers. ;) The sheer # of scary drivers is truly horrifying. Robinson would be bankrupted by the postage. Even at mass mailing rates.

I guess the question then is... Do I toss out the flyer or do I take one for the team and actually agree to participate?

Pros:

I can find out if pee can be actually sent through the mail.

I can get more pseudo-scientific mail to amuse myself and my kids

Cons:

It might be a marketing ploy and I'll be asked to pay for the results of my urinalysis

It could be some weird loophole in law and I'll have inadvertently "donated" to his political campaign.

He could use or sell my private information

He could be using my urine for nefarious purposes such as building a zombie army or creating weapons of mass destruction

He could have some creepy pee fetish and I'll have encouraged him in his perversion

I guess the question then is... Do I toss out the flyer or do I take one for the team and actually agree to participate?

Pros:

I can find out if pee can be actually sent through the mail.

I can get more pseudo-scientific mail to amuse myself and my kids

Cons:

It might be a marketing ploy and I'll be asked to pay for the results of my urinalysis

It could be some weird loophole in law and I'll have inadvertently "donated" to his political campaign.

He could use or sell my private information

He could be using my urine for nefarious purposes such as building a zombie army or creating weapons of mass destruction

He could have some creepy pee fetish and I'll have encouraged him in his perversion

I'm hoping it's a zombie army and not a pee fetish. :ack2:

I guess mine isn't good enough, either, although I prefer to believe that Art sent me a handwritten personal request but it was lost in the mail.

Did he send people a super-special sanitized urine receptacle to put it in? ;)

This is my question! What are you supposed to put the pee in? 

I had to look twice to make sure this post wasn't started by Spycar.  I don't agree with all the hate sent his way.  Try actually reading the article to see WHY he wants it before judging him so harshly.  I think some people just like to cause controversy on here and like to hate certain people. 

I had to look twice to make sure this post wasn't started by Spycar. I don't agree with all the hate sent his way. Try actually reading the article to see WHY he wants it before judging him so harshly. I think some people just like to cause controversy on here and like to hate certain people.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't hate him. I was just joking about the silliness of the situation.

If I got a request in the mail for pee, I would have started a thread about it, too! :D

I had to look twice to make sure this post wasn't started by Spycar.  I don't agree with all the hate sent his way.  Try actually reading the article to see WHY he wants it before judging him so harshly.  I think some people just like to cause controversy on here and like to hate certain people.

I will admit that I didn't actually fully read the flyer before I threw it out. I toss all junk mail. Also I do not hate the man. I honestly just found it humorous. ;)

I don't hate him and I've even tried homeschooling his way but this is really bizarre, to go around mailing fliers asking for people to send him their pee!!!

I don't know much about him, but anyone from the government asking me to mail my pee to them would not be met with willing compliance. 

He is the head of the Republican party in Oregon, but he's not in government. He keeps trying though.

I think anyone who sends out flyers asking for pee will be met with a fair amount of joking and fun-poking. Asking random people to mail their urine is funny and sort of weird, no matter who asks, and even though he may have the best of intentions scientifically. :)

Cat

ETA: I feel a little left out because I didn't get a flyer myself. :P It's like when you don't get invited to a party that you would never go to if you were invited, but you'd still like to think you're one of the cool kids. Sigh.....

ETA: I feel a little left out because I didn't get a flyer myself. :p It's like when you don't get invited to a party that you would never go to if you were invited, but you'd still like to think you're one of the cool kids. Sigh.....

Move to Oregon........we are very cool. :coolgleamA: Or maybe you can write him a letter and request to be included.

Uh. Is there anything on the flyer indicating that the research is being monitored by an Institutional Review Board?

Does anything explain whether your sample will be de-coupled from your personal health information, how your privacy will be protected, what will happen if your sample shows evidence of illness at some point in the future, what potential risks you undergo by participating in the study, and who will own anything valuable that's developed from the study of your urine?

If not, it matters not one bit what we think of Robinson's politics. The research is unethical.