Menu

Singapore Math vs Math in Focus

SkatingMom

Can someone breakdown the difference between Singapore Math and Math in Focus? DS is doing great with SM this year but I am not sure SM 1A will be a fit for DD. I was looking at samples from MIF 1A and while it looks similar to SM it seemed a little simpler yet and more focused with less distraction.

I prefer the MiF presentation to the Singapore presentation and so does DS10 so we are using MiF.  I know others feel differently, though.  You might want to get a used version to try out.  I have been able to buy virtually everything used, including "used" but actually unused workbooks.  I have also been able to buy the TMs used.  With the exception of one TM, everything I have ordered used has arrived in mint condition and for a fraction of the cost of a new one.  

FWIW, there is a slight difference between the 2009 versions and the 2013 Common Core textbooks but only just a bit of stuff tacked on at the end of the textbook.  Otherwise they are identical. The workbooks, even the 2013 version, appear to line up with the 2009 textbooks, not the 2013 Common Core version since they don't appear to have anything tying in to the tacked on extras, but you can use just the textbook for those last few pages.  Everything else seems to line up perfectly between the 2009 and the 2013 versions.

I will say that even used, if you add in the student text, the workbook, the TM, the extra practice book and the enhancement book it can get pricey even with used material but so far I have found it worthwhile.  We just got the enhancement book in  today and are excited to start using it next week.  There is so much in there that does not appear to be in the workbook or the extra practice book. I think it will have been worth the bit of extra expense (again it was "used" but arrived in "new" condition).

I do not have the TM for 1a, 1b, 2a or 2b but I have found the TMs for 3a/3b/4a/4b immensely helpful in pacing, tying concepts from prior levels into current learning, leaping ahead in some areas where the concept is fully understood, having the warm up and other activities available, etc.  But I am not a terribly mathy person and having the extra support has been very appreciated.  I am not used to concept math.  I was taught to rote memorize everything.  This way is so much more engaging but has been challenging for me to teach.  I refer to the TM often.  I like the layout of the MiF TM much better than the HIG for Singapore, but part of that is the font.  I don't have very good eyesight (convergence issues) so the TM for MiF is easier to read.  I like the organization of the information better, too, though.

I vastly prefer MIF to Primary Math. PM was okay when I used it for my son, but MIF is a pleasure to use (really, it is very visually attractive!). MIF has cumulative reviews after every couple of chapters - but just for those chapters. So there might be a review for chapters 1-3, then one for 4-5, one for 6-7, etc. It also has games and higher order "put on your thinking cap" activities right in the book. So easy to implement. The workbooks are pretty similar to PM. I don't think the S&S is very different, except MIF is probably a little more aligned to standards than PM (which doesn't do negative numbers at all, I believe). Some people say it is easier - well, I doubt that. In 1b they teach subtracting with regrouping up to within 100, and beginning multiplication and division.

I used some of 5A, and there are a LOT of word problems. A lot a lot a lot. Way beyond anything I've seen in a typical 5th grade textbook. It is more puzzle-like than my son's 6th grade math textbook (which is the reason we had to switch - he wasn't ready for such convoluted word problems).