Menu

any "intentional eaters" out there?

snickerplum

I lost my taste and smell two years ago, so that's about how I eat now. I learned early on that certain foods made me feel good and others made me feel bad. I have no reason to eat beyond feeling full because I get no enjoyment out of the actual taste (most things actually have a bad taste/smell). Even though I cannot taste or smell I do still have cravings sometimes and I will eat whatever it is with no guilt. Usually I crave steak, a certain pasta dish, or a certain pint of Ben & Jerry's. :tongue_smilie:

• 3 months later...

This is the way I am learning to eat.  I am sick of diets, restrictions, policing, etc.....

This is the way The Weigh Down Diet said to eat, but then the author went a little wonky and all the churches pulled her program.  We had people in our church who had lost over 100 pounds eating that way!

Dawn 

This is the way I am learning to eat.  I am sick of diets, restrictions, policing, etc.....

This is the way The Weigh Down Diet said to eat, but then the author went a little wonky and all the churches pulled her program.  We had people in our church who had lost over 100 pounds eating that way!

Dawn 

I use to be a WDW leader and lost a significant amount of weight a couple of different times eating this way.  Agree that the leader went wonky in her spiritual advice.  There's a book called "Thin Within" that actually predated WDW but promoted the same principles with a Christian bent.  Just FYI!

Sounds like how I've always eaten, if I'm interpreting it correctly.  Eat only when you're hungry, stop before you're stuffed, take your time so that your body knows when it's full, and only eat what you want.  It's always worked well.

So, for example, I made brownies the other day.  I really wanted one yesterday, but I wasn't hungry.  I waited until I was, and ate a brownie.  For lunch.  Because it was what I truly wanted.  I could have eaten a whole bunch of other "regular" lunch foods, but I still would have added that brownie.  Later that afternoon, before I headed out to work, I was hungry for salad, and had one.  And I was no longer craving a brownie that I'd been denying myself in order to stick to some sort of convoluted "diet".

wow.  Yeah, lots of people benefited from that program.  I wish someone else would pick it up and do a support group program with the concepts.

I do know about Thin Within.  I actually just ordered the secular book called Intuitive Eating.  I looked through several books on the subject and this one seemed to be what fit my style.  Sooooo.......we will see how it goes.

Dawn

I use to be a WDW leader and lost a significant amount of weight a couple of different times eating this way.  Agree that the leader went wonky in her spiritual advice.  There's a book called "Thin Within" that actually predated WDW but promoted the same principles with a Christian bent.  Just FYI!

Sounds like how I've always eaten, if I'm interpreting it correctly.  Eat only when you're hungry, stop before you're stuffed, take your time so that your body knows when it's full, and only eat what you want.  It's always worked well.

So, for example, I made brownies the other day.  I really wanted one yesterday, but I wasn't hungry.  I waited until I was, and ate a brownie.  For lunch.  Because it was what I truly wanted.  I could have eaten a whole bunch of other "regular" lunch foods, but I still would have added that brownie.  Later that afternoon, before I headed out to work, I was hungry for salad, and had one.  And I was no longer craving a brownie that I'd been denying myself in order to stick to some sort of convoluted "diet".

I was bulimic in my teens. I haven't trusted myself to eat this way because my metabolism is damaged and, honestly, it scares me.

But reading this, this is pretty much how I'm eating right now. It's a bit more complicated for me, because I have very little appetite, and my blood sugar is unstable. 

Maybe I just need to learn better how to understand my body.

I think I prefer an "intentional" eating concept. I intentional eat a variety of healthy foods from all 4 food groups, don't eat past feeling full, exercise a lot, drink a lot of water. I also intentionally eat a moderate amount of yummy treats (= chocolate) because they taste good.

I would love to just be less interested in eating and food!

I was bulimic in my teens. I haven't trusted myself to eat this way because my metabolism is damaged and, honestly, it scares me.

But reading this, this is pretty much how I'm eating right now. It's a bit more complicated for me, because I have very little appetite, and my blood sugar is unstable. 

I gauge my hunger on a scale from 0 -10.  Zero being really hungry, and ten being, lying down on the couch after Thanksgiving dinner and having to unzip your pants, because you're afraid they'll burst open.  I try to eat only when I'm in the 1-3 range.  That helps me realize I'm eating because I'm truly in need of food for fuel, and not just because I want to "have a party in my mouth" (as Dr. Phil used to say).  Not saying I'm always 100% with this, but I aim to eat this way 90% of the time.

Nope.  If I listen to my body I won't eat except probably chocolate before bed.  I intentionally make myself eat healthy things in an appropriate amount and I enjoy them but left on my own without dh and kids (ah, the single years) I will subsist on coffee, marshmallows, chocolate and cheese. I will also just eat because it's kind of hypnotizing.  Maybe I just need some kind of reset but I'm a healthy weight and have good numbers and have plenty of energy so if it ain't broke.... 

Nope.  If I listen to my body I won't eat except probably chocolate before bed.  I intentionally make myself eat healthy things in an appropriate amount and I enjoy them but left on my own without dh and kids (ah, the single years) I will subsist on coffee, marshmallows, chocolate and cheese. I will also just eat because it's kind of hypnotizing.  Maybe I just need some kind of reset but I'm a healthy weight and have good numbers and have plenty of energy so if it ain't broke.... 

Are you exercising regularly and with some intensity (something like running or swimming as opposed to walking or cycling)? That should increase your appetite.

My problem is not finding hunger but finding the full.

I find if I eat until I am just a bit satisfied, I will overeat the next meal because I am so hungry (or in the next few hours).

But I don't want to eat beyond a certain point or I will have overeaten.

That is where I am right now, trying to find the "sweet spot."

Dawn

I gauge my hunger on a scale from 0 -10.  Zero being really hungry, and ten being, lying down on the couch after Thanksgiving dinner and having to unzip your pants, because you're afraid they'll burst open.  I try to eat only when I'm in the 1-3 range.  That helps me realize I'm eating because I'm truly in need of food for fuel, and not just because I want to "have a party in my mouth" (as Dr. Phil used to say).  Not saying I'm always 100% with this, but I aim to eat this way 90% of the time.