Menu

How to keep a little magic and wonder burning inside my older kids?

I have to admit, I'm glad to be going back to ancients next fall in history study. I'm looking forward to mythology. I'm also sitting here looking at our Lang Fairy Book collection, glad that they're not for the faint of heart or too terribly young. :) 

I don't want to keep them little (I mean, I would if I could, maybe, on some days. :)) That's not what I'm getting at. What do your older kids get lost in that's beautiful and natural? Things that don't require plugs and chargers?

Projects? Certain books? Gardening? Playing an instrument? Painting outdoors?  Walks?

Hoping for a bit of inspiration, especially as summer vacation approaches. 

Ooh, that's a wonderful question. I will be following this one.

Mine love camping and all that goes with that, campfires, nature walks, cooking and eating outside. They have recently re-kindled their love for drawing & sketching after I I bought some new art pencils, charcoals and pastels, we've been doing some YouTube art lessons. And we have a new love for Shakespeare going on right now. My oldest just finished Romeo & Juliet at school, while we were doing Midsummer Nights Dream at home, so it's been interesting to listen to their discussions about that.

Great topic, can't wait to hear what others have to say, I'm in need of some inspiration too.

There are citizen scientists projects that make getting outside extra fun. Nature study, attending local bird/butterfly/wildlife/wildflower walks, geocaching, hiking or biking the trails in new areas, trail riding on horseback...

Plant a garden, dig a small pond, attend a nature camp....

Have meals on the porch, on the deck, or in the garden whenever possible. (By an open window will work in a pinch.)  Bring along a great book, good company, or quiet thoughts...

Fairy houses can be fun for young and old alike. We prefer using only natural materials. The fairies are known to leave small gifts here--especially on Midsummer's Eve. ;)  Speaking of which....that's the perfect evening for an out-of-doors party!

In addition to reading or attending a production of Midsummer Night's Dream, this is the perfect time of year for fairy lore. It is rich with history, art, poetry, literature, and philosophy...  Reading fairy lore out-of-doors at dusk on a summer evening surrounded by the sounds of nature...talk about a little magic...

Most of all, keep the magic and wonder burning inside yourself. 

Ooh, that's a wonderful question. I will be following this one.

Mine love camping and all that goes with that, campfires, nature walks, cooking and eating outside. They have recently re-kindled their love for drawing & sketching after I I bought some new art pencils, charcoals and pastels, we've been doing some YouTube art lessons. And we have a new love for Shakespeare going on right now. My oldest just finished Romeo & Juliet at school, while we were doing Midsummer Nights Dream at home, so it's been interesting to listen to their discussions about that.

Great topic, can't wait to hear what others have to say, I'm in need of some inspiration too.

Great ideas! I just ordered a set of watercolor pencils... I'm hoping they'll use them for nature journaling. We're not campers but we do have fire pits on the beach. Maybe it's time to make more use of them. 

There are citizen scientists projects that make getting outside extra fun. Nature study, attending local bird/butterfly/wildlife/wildflower walks, geocaching, hiking or biking the trails in new areas, trail riding on horseback...

Plant a garden, dig a small pond, attend a nature camp....

Have meals on the porch, on the deck, or in the garden whenever possible. (By an open window will work in a pinch.)  Bring along a great book, good company, or quiet thoughts...

Fairy houses can be fun for young and old alike. We prefer using only natural materials. The fairies are known to leave small gifts here--especially on Midsummer's Eve. ;)  Speaking of which....that's the perfect evening for an out-of-doors party!

In addition to reading or attending a production of Midsummer Night's Dream, this is the perfect time of year for fairy lore. It is rich with history, art, poetry, literature, and philosophy...  Reading fairy lore out-of-doors at dusk on a summer evening surrounded by the sounds of nature...talk about a little magic...

Most of all, keep the magic and wonder burning inside yourself. 

I've been reading about the Citizen Scientist Projects, thanks for making me aware of that. :)

We're getting ready to buy a house and I've been thinking about turning the new yard into a project of some sort... maybe a pond like you mentioned or a habitat theme...

I love all your ideas! :)

There's a lot of drawing in this house. And a lot of acting/pretend play still, only now they construct and sew costumes. DD also spends a lot of time teaching herself to play piano.

Yeah, we're doing a unit study where I do a lot of read alouds. I found a book on zentangles at the library, I'm number 1,000 on the queue  ;) but we should get it soon. Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Zentangle-Untangled-Inspiration-Prompts-Meditative/dp/1440318263

Something different...

I've actually noticed since reading these last few books, that they still get dreamy while I read to them.  :001_wub:

Boy, I miss the days of costume making. I could see that coming back though with a little inspiration, like making short films or something like that. I really hope this summer is fun and creative... 

Whether adults or children, the world seems so much less pretty when we are tired. I think lack of enough sleep is the number one reason teens lose their sense of wonder.

I really agree with you on this. Simple, straight forward truth. 

gardening and related activities have always been major here

You know year after year I always found some neat gardening book to stretch out over the school year. We've done garden journals (beautiful), Sow and Grow, Garden Wizardry, lots of fun stuff. Why did I stop? 

I always thought it would be fun to have everyone work their own square foot garden, maybe it's time to read that book. :)

If we don't end up with a big yard in the next move, maybe I'll get each of the kids a wine barrel to work. I've fallen in love with mine, and got a decent potato harvest on the first try... 

Seriously, why did I drop that ball?? We do math and science, we do all the serious stuff. I want to keep doing the garden journal too!

You know year after year I always found some neat gardening book to stretch out over the school year. We've done garden journals (beautiful), Sow and Grow, Garden Wizardry, lots of fun stuff. Why did I stop? 

I always thought it would be fun to have everyone work their own square foot garden, maybe it's time to read that book. :)

If we don't end up with a big yard in the next move, maybe I'll get each of the kids a wine barrel to work. I've fallen in love with mine, and got a decent potato harvest on the first try... 

Seriously, why did I drop that ball?? We do math and science, we do all the serious stuff. I want to keep doing the garden journal too!

For several years now I've fancied the idea of making a poetry garden. Maybe I will when I have my own place. :) I might plant daffodils if we memorise "Daffadowndilly" by A. A. Milne. I might buy a rusty, garden art cow if we memorise Henry Lawson's Andy poems...

For several years now I've fancied the idea of making a poetry garden. Maybe I will when I have my own place. :) I might plant daffodils if we memorise "Daffadowndilly" by A. A. Milne. I might buy a rusty, garden art cow if we memorise Henry Lawson's Andy poems...

Fun! Sometimes I have flower and herb beds based on the Victorian language of flowers. It is so interesting! Some of the lore I find goes back much further than the Victorians, of course.

Stargazing! We live in a very developed area, and my kids haven't had many chances to see the sky packed with stars. Sad, I know.

Another idea is to spend the summer catching the occasional sunrise and/or sunset. 

I completely forgot about this! I highly recommend trying to find an astronomy group. They often have star parties either for just an evening or while camping for a few nights. What an experience!

We are the discover and invent sort here.  For us the world is meant to be explored and experienced.

There was a dead snake in a water bottle for the purpose of watching decomposition, DR. WHO inspired the repurpose of an old car seat and tike ride toy into a time machine, and any thing that breaks is cause for taking it apart (my girls have tool boxes well stocked).  I collect scraps of word for bird houses and the like too.

I think that it is the environment that spawns them to be full of wonder for the world.  I am one of those that is pretty much always into something.  I ask them each week to tell me if they have a need for a project or discovery.  For example, the microscope is essential here.  Bread mold, cheese mold, green meat ... yes bologna turns green ... are cause for "fun".  How many kids ask to leave the bad lunch meat in the fridge? Mine do, and they watch it faithfully as it turn colors.  They spent weeks watching mold eat two slices of cheese and consume a slice of bread. 

Both are creative writers and adore fiction.  Lots of reading.

There is a mix of imagination and science at our house.  We color and draw lots, play with paperdolls, build all manner of models from forts to race cars, and practically live with modeling clay and playdough.  :)  Our day always ends in "play" even if it is just to go outside.  We spent an afternoon in the pouring rain running around looking for puddles to splash and stomp about in.

Actually, Saturday, they contrived to build a hosrse and buggie.  We don't have anything for a buggie, and I certainly don't own a horse. This came from the readres from the littlest.  Anyway, it was a dog leash, dog, and bicycle.  It was ... interesting.  The dog loved it, and the shouts and giggles proved they did too.  My girls outside doing this ... 23 yrs, 13 yrs, and 7 yrs.  BTW I joined in too!  Perhaps "Mom" is a component that is needed?

BTW, they smash their "stuff".  It all gets a picture or drawing.  We even play find the installation(constellation oops!), and draw it in the book.

ETA:  I should add that none of it is planned ever.  Fun is not predictable.

I've been working on a list of things to do/share with my kids....

Poetry

Shakespeare

Family Math games & activities

Nature journaling

Learn the constellations

Have a real garden instead of just tomatoes and herbs

Can our own ketchup, tomato/pasta sauce, applesauce, and apple butter (and more!)

Work on bird identification

Geometric art

Go to a Renaissance Faire

Go to the Dickens Fair

Go to some living history days

Read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings

Dissect a frog and some owl pellets

Raise some tadpoles into frogs

Hatch more mantises and butterflies

Go to more museums

Attend some concert rehearsals (way cheaper than actual concerts)

Poetry

Shakespeare

Nature journaling

Learn the constellations

Go to more museums

I edited your list but what is above is on my list for this coming summer and year, along with a lot more art and tinkering. Perhaps my motto for the time being will be majoring in the minors :)  I'm so incredibly excited about it all.

One thing we did this year that had the girls oohing and aahing was plant milkweed in front of our classroom window. They had/have a front row seat to the caterpillar to monarch show. :) 

I'd love to do animal fostering. Maybe take in the occasional pregnant cat. 

Love this idea!

Fun! Sometimes I have flower and herb beds based on the Victorian language of flowers. It is so interesting! Some of the lore I find goes back much further than the Victorians, of course.

I like the idea of a themed garden, even if it's a small area of the yard. My 15yo loves Jane Austen and I just went to pickup a book titled Garden With Jane Austen. Maybe she'll find something inspiring there... we'll see, She's my cynical one. :) 

I completely forgot about this! I highly recommend trying to find an astronomy group. They often have star parties either for just an evening or while camping for a few nights. What an experience!

I have a friend,  :seeya: (Hi!!), who's son likes this type of stuff. Maybe we could join forces one evening and drive out to the desert or go out with a fun group??

If you have access to a camping tent and room for one, sleep outside! My older two spent a good deal of time "camping" in our backyard last summer. They loved it!

We just did this. My 12yo and I pitched the tent in our backyard and hung out in it a bit. I loved this sort of thing when I was a kid. She was over it pretty quick. I think we ought to try it again, maybe it needs to grow on her. We were mostly impressed with ourselves for figuring out how to do it. And take it down.  :lol:

I have a friend,  :seeya: (Hi!!), who's son likes this type of stuff. Maybe we could join forces one evening and drive out to the desert or go out with a fun group??

Let's make a point of doing something this summer. All the kids would love it.  :)

I haven't read all the responses yet but.... I have a bunch of girls and they LOVE to sew, knit, cross-stitch, and do patchwork. This is kind of strange because I am ALMOST sewing illiterate. They will disappear in their room for hours with fabric spread all over the floor creating and making. And they knit and do beautiful cross-stitches while I read aloud.

My dd11 loves wandering around outside looking at nature - she's a bit of a naturalist - catching butterflies, watching lizards etc.

My son likes to garden which I'm glad about because he is very drawn to electronic things but we limit this and he has discovered gardening. He likes growing vegetables for the family and is very diligent about looking after his garden.

We are the discover and invent sort here.  For us the world is meant to be explored and experienced.

There was a dead snake in a water bottle for the purpose of watching decomposition, DR. WHO inspired the repurpose of an old car seat and tike ride toy into a time machine, and any thing that breaks is cause for taking it apart (my girls have tool boxes well stocked).  I collect scraps of word for bird houses and the like too.

I think that it is the environment that spawns them to be full of wonder for the world.  I am one of those that is pretty much always into something.  I ask them each week to tell me if they have a need for a project or discovery.  For example, the microscope is essential here.  Bread mold, cheese mold, green meat ... yes bologna turns green ... are cause for "fun".  How many kids ask to leave the bad lunch meat in the fridge? Mine do, and they watch it faithfully as it turn colors.  They spent weeks watching mold eat two slices of cheese and consume a slice of bread. 

Both are creative writers and adore fiction.  Lots of reading.

There is a mix of imagination and science at our house.  We color and draw lots, play with paperdolls, build all manner of models from forts to race cars, and practically live with modeling clay and playdough.  :)  Our day always ends in "play" even if it is just to go outside.  We spent an afternoon in the pouring rain running around looking for puddles to splash and stomp about in.

Actually, Saturday, they contrived to build a hosrse and buggie.  We don't have anything for a buggie, and I certainly don't own a horse. This came from the readres from the littlest.  Anyway, it was a dog leash, dog, and bicycle.  It was ... interesting.  The dog loved it, and the shouts and giggles proved they did too.  My girls outside doing this ... 23 yrs, 13 yrs, and 7 yrs.  BTW I joined in too!  Perhaps "Mom" is a component that is needed?

BTW, they smash their "stuff".  It all gets a picture or drawing.  We even play find the installation(constellation oops!), and draw it in the book.

ETA:  I should add that none of it is planned ever.  Fun is not predictable.

I like your "imagination and science" take. :)

You've inspired me to track down our microscope plug!

My kids have always been wild little children, but I've noticed a change this year. Cynicism and hormones... iTunes and Mindcraft... I don't know. We need to find a healthier balance. Nothing is out of control or awful, life's just not as rich as it has been or should be. KWIM? We can do better for ourselves.

Thanks for the ideas! 

Poetry

Shakespeare

Nature journaling

Learn the constellations

Have a real garden instead of just tomatoes and herbs

Can our own ketchup, tomato/pasta sauce, applesauce, and apple butter (and more!)

Geometric art

Go to a Renaissance Faire

Go to the Dickens Fair

Go to more museums

Love your list!

I think the girls and I need to start one too. 

Thanks for the links, the Dicken's Fair looks awesome!! And close-ish to home. We could do that! Yay!

Rachel Carson's The Sense of Wonder...

I took a peek into my naturalist book cupboard and saw her book Under the Seawind. I think I might have the one you mentioned. 

You know, this is the first year nature studies flopped big time for us. It's like a vitamin deficiency here.  :lol:

One more month of school and we're FREEEEEEE!!! We can make up for lost time. I've pulled out Swallows and Amazons, I think we'll read that one soon too. I'm thinking summer in the hammock. :)

I haven't read all the responses yet but.... I have a bunch of girls and they LOVE to sew, knit, cross-stitch, and do patchwork. This is kind of strange because I am ALMOST sewing illiterate. They will disappear in their room for hours with fabric spread all over the floor creating and making. And they knit and do beautiful cross-stitches while I read aloud.

My dd11 loves wandering around outside looking at nature - she's a bit of a naturalist - catching butterflies, watching lizards etc.

My son likes to garden which I'm glad about because he is very drawn to electronic things but we limit this and he has discovered gardening. He likes growing vegetables for the family and is very diligent about looking after his garden.

Sounds lovely!

My 15yo is having a good time making cat clothing right now. It's been a while since she's been this motivated. I love it when they're all like busy bees, happy and productive. :) Or happy and still and peaceful. Either way is nice. :)

My kids all draw, paint and create with duct tape, talk long walks, spend hours with the animals (kittens and dog), we have an above ground pool and a tramp. They all read and listen to books on tape, they check NOAA and NASA sites regularly. They write. They hang out with friends. 

What kind of things do they make with the tape?

I'm checking out the NOAA site for the first time tonight. I'll show it to the girls tomorrow. It made me remember Pete's Pond (which doesn't seem to be working today.) :(