Menu

Where to buy kid friendly couch besides craigslist?

grantmeawish

Our 4 year old cheap leather couch is peeling everywhere and it is tiny. We really need a new one but don't want to spend big bucks since kids will ultimately destroy it. I would think another leather couch would be optimal since it wipes clean but would it peel again? Maybe it peeled because it was cheap. IDK. I have never tried slip covers. That seems like a lot of work. Fabric couches, carpet, etc seem out of the question with my kids. My dh and joke about living in a concrete house with a drain in the middle so we can hose everything down. We have multiple kids, neighbor kids included, running through the house daily so it's hard to keep everything as clean as I would like.

We have a 100% leather couch that we paid $800-1000 for. Don't know if it's in your price range or not, but it's held up well for 8 years and no problems. No peeling etc and it wipes clean. It might be worthwhile to pay a little more for 100% leather, provided you can be fairly certain your child won't stab it with scissors, draw on it with Sharpies, etc. :)

Looking at craigslist can be helpful because you see what the couch looks like after a few years of wear. It was eye opening to see how terribly some expensive couches held up...

Our city has hotel resale shops. If you're willing to buy used, but not from Craigslist, that might be a choice.

I have considered plastic lawn chairs. At least it would provide interesting discussions from guests : )

off topic, but this brought back memories. My family moved into a new house. This house had a living room and family room. The couch wouldn't fit in the family room, but 2 recliner chairs would. We were a family of 5 so my mom put this plastic garden bench in there so there would be a place to sit. It didn't bother her in the least.  Drove my brother bonkers though.

I also recommend an ikea couch with an extra slip cover. We have the ektorp line couch, 2 chairs, and 2 ottomans. My kids hang upside down from the arms and roll all over them (very wiggly kids, one being wiggly 90 pound 10 year old). They have held up well and we've had them for probably 4 or 5 years. They are as solid as the day we bought them. I paid less for all of these than 2 Lane leather rocker recliners that were broke the day we got them. (We went through 5 replacements before we got 2 reasonable ones)