Menu

History options with ages 9, 7 and 6?

EmmaNZ

My oldest will shortly complete SOTW 3. He is definitely ready for beginning some logic stage work, whatever time period we use. 7 year old has done SOTW 2 and 3. 6 year old has sat in on some of SOTW 3; has coloured some maps and pictures but that's about it. I also have a (bright) 4 year old and an almost 2 year old.

Oldest wants to carry on and do SOTW 4, but is it easy to increase the level of this according to the logic stage recommendations in WTM? He has been asking about the world wars, having noticed that it is the centenary of WW1 this year - SOTW 4 would help answer some of those questions. Clearly I can't use all the recommendations given in WTM for logic stage modern history because they have been chosen with significantly older students in mind (or am I wrong?)

I am concerned my 6 year old would not be interested in the content of modern history and will switch off, at a time when I want him to start engaging more. In an ideal world, my 4 year old would join in too. I know that it would be better for him to do ancients (he's that kind of boy!) 

My choices as far as I can see are:

1. Everybody carries on to SOTW 4, with reading and output at their own level

2. Everybody goes back to ancients, and oldest does logic stage along with us 

3. I do SOTW 4 with oldest, and ancients with littles, my 7 year old being allowed to choose which she wants to do because she has done neither.

If you were me what would you do next?

Do you have the SOTW activity books for your oldest? The later AGs have more outlining, writing, etc for an older student that would be helpful I think in bridging that gap into logic stage.

If you don't want to do two separate history strands, I'd continue to allow the youngest ones to work on the geography and listen in to any extra read alouds you use for SOTW4. 

SOTW 4 is really intended for kids at the very end of the grammar stage.  I think it would be 100% fine for your oldest.  I would actually be more concerned about using it with your younger two.  We're finishing our year of modern history and it's just been...  depressing and dark.  I mean, I'm glad we did it.  The kids have been interested and it's been great.  But I'm glad we didn't do it before this year.  I can't imagine doing WWI and II with a 6 yo.  

Thanks for your reply Farrar, that is exactly what has been worrying me too. So much more fun and inspiring to do Romans and Greeks, than muddy trenches and atomic bombs. I'd be really interested to hear how it went for anybody who has combined an older and a younger for modern history.

It's hard to wrap my head around it all! Trying to think a few years down the line for my little two as well. How much work it will all entail. I suppose with multiple kids at multiple ages there just isn't going to be an 'easy' option.

I vote #1

It is very easy to beef up SOTW.

You don't want to be teaching two histories when you can do only one instead.

Ancients is very engaging for littles (and bigs) whereas modern history is harder for littles to connect with.

Don't worry about getting through history cycle 3 times before graduation. In the grammar years inculcate love of history, whatever time period it may be.

My suggestion is not one you have listed, so you can ignore me if you want. : ) I would have your oldest continue with SOTW 4 and do an American history overview with your younger three. Maybe Adventures in American. Or possibly a World History overview read aloud like CHOW. Then I would do ancients next year which all of them and require age appropriate output.

It looks like option 3 is winning! Although it does seem that those with more children are more in favour of keeping them together. That's probably significant.

Rimk3, I like your option, but we are not American so a whole year of American history feels a bit like overkill. I have never seen CHOW. I do agree that is seems a bit silly to do ancients with some next, when my oldest will be back to ancients the year after that anyway.

I'm not sure I'm any further along am I?

I would do SOTW with the eldest and a year of geography with all of them (maybe a term just on NZ) as the eldest can do a few extra hours a week. Then next year start everyone except the two year old on ancients. The two year old will then be 6 when you get to the end of the cycle.

Are you using the NZ school year? It sounds like you are using the American - or are you just planning ahead?

We aren't following any kind of school year! We started when my oldest would have started school, but that was about the closest we've got to following the NZ schools. Things just start and stop whenever we get through it. I wish I could be more organised about it, but the kids always seem to whizz through the most unexpected of things so I end up filling in gaps with something I haven't planned and then moving on to the next level when I feel they can handle it. I am using the word 'year' optimistically!

What I would do is not listed either. I would continue with SOTW 4 with your oldest and do no history with the littles until your oldest is 10. Then start everyone at ancients.

Currently I have children 10, 6, and 3. Only the 10-year-old is doing history (SOTW 4). Right now we're exploring everything about WWI. Ds ends up telling dd6, she hears us, she sees the timeline we have, she participated in our Titanic party, she sees ds' excitement.

She's psyched about doing ancients with SOTW 1 next year. Her brother will be 11 and working at a higher level with the Dorothy Mills books, but he'll be joining her as well because more history is what he'd like anyway. They'll both be exploring ancient art through Daddy's art lessons too.

To me it's more important that my 6-year-old is getting the basics in reading, writing, and math than history right now. At her request we read through Usborne's Living Long Ago, which gives her an idea about the periods in history. She was not at all interested in American History, even though we did a bit of early Am History in the first half of the year.

Another option for you would be to do NZ history with your younger children while oldest works through SOTW 4.

It looks like option 3 is winning! Although it does seem that those with more children are more in favour of keeping them together. That's probably significant.

Rimk3, I like your option, but we are not American so a whole year of American history feels a bit like overkill. I have never seen CHOW. I do agree that is seems a bit silly to do ancients with some next, when my oldest will be back to ancients the year after that anyway.

I'm not sure I'm any further along am I?

Yes, a whole year of American history doesn't make sense then.   :001_smile:  CHOW, A CHild's History of the World.  Maybe a year of geography as the pp mentioned.  Or you could chose a few topics in SOTW that are a little less dark or too mature for your younger ones and do a few unit studies.  However, I think you could chose from many options and it will all turn out in the end.  I personally just get overwhelmed when I have too many things going at once, therefore I prefer to do as many subjects as a family as viable.  But, I have an 8 year old and two 6 year olds, so it is easier for me to combine and I haven't been at this very long.   :001_smile:

• 5 weeks later...

I know you may have already made your plans…but I was looking for something and came across your thread.  I'll tell you what we're doing now, and what I think I will continue for the next few years.  It's similar to what a PP suggested.  I'm letting my oldest (just turned 8) and my almost 7yo do history together, but other than me reading SOTW (and they may just start reading/listening on their own) it will be pretty independent, extra books, activities on their own, etc.  I am using FIAR with all the others.  That way we get to do something fun, and the littles get some exposure to history/geography, but it doesn't take too much out of me.  Just another idea!  I'm starting to lean in the direction that I don't need to be so serious about true, (formal, whatever), chronological history study in the early years.  But I don't wan to be teaching two different time periods either.  So, when the littles are bigger, and ready for something more formal (maybe 8?) then they can jump in wherever we are. :)

I would keep them all on the same history cycle as a long-term goal. I'd do year four for the oldest and do Something else for the youngers. Perhaps countries and cultures, NZ history, or some other topic to explore.

Love your picture! We enjoyed 3 weeks on the North island in Feb! Loved Cathedral Cove