Menu

I saw a vanity plate: DIRE WLF

unsinkable

They are one of those animals humans probably hunted/competed to extinction once their specialized habitat (Europe when it was really, really cold) changed.

They're also a stock fantasy creature in games like Dungeons and Dragons, the root of things like the wargs in J.R.R. Tolkien's work, etc. Large, terrifying wolves feature in Norse mythology as well. Really, they're an animal that no doubt inspired plenty of terror in our ancestors who lived in Northerly parts of the world. Modern timber wolves are practically coyotes in comparison..

I have not watched Game of Thrones yet.....

But I have watched documentaries that included dire wolves. Punk is a big fan of everything more than 6,000 years old. :P

They are one of those animals humans probably hunted/competed to extinction once their specialized habitat (Europe when it was really, really cold) changed.

They're also a stock fantasy creature in games like Dungeons and Dragons, the root of things like the wargs in J.R.R. Tolkien's work, etc. Large, terrifying wolves feature in Norse mythology as well. Really, they're an animal that no doubt inspired plenty of terror in our ancestors who lived in Northerly parts of the world. Modern timber wolves are practically coyotes in comparison..

Cool to know!

They've never been on my radar before!

We watched a movie about them before we went to the La Brea Tar Pits, it made the tar pits much more interesting.

I kept yelling at the movie that maybe there weren't more wolves than other animals found there, maybe the wolves were just stupider. Wolf, "yum food, oh no..." Saber tooth cat, "hmm, food, let's check it out for a minute, it's not moving, hey look, a wolf is stuck, too, now, hmm, maybe I shouldn't jump in...."

The movie is good, BTW, most libraries have it, Prehistoric Predators:

http://www.amazon.com/Prehistoric-Predators-National-Geographic/dp/B00120TJFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398396296&sr=8-1&keywords=prehistoric+predators

Fascinating! So I had to go and google dire wolf, and now I want a big dog...

http://www.blastr.com/2013-3-27/want-real-life-thrones-direwolf-breeder-creates-your-dream-pet

Make sure you read the books, too.

Or at least listen to the audios!

I tried to start the first book but I bailed pretty quickly. I think I'll try again!

The shows had some pretty slow episodes followed by some OMG!!!! episodes. So that kind of slowed me down. I pushed on though, hahaha! They were only on HBO on demand through 4/21 and I figured I'd regret it if I didn't watch them when I could.

I tried to start the first book but I bailed pretty quickly. I think I'll try again!

The shows had some pretty slow episodes followed by some OMG!!!! episodes. So that kind of slowed me down. I pushed on though, hahaha! They were only on HBO on demand through 4/21 and I figured I'd regret it if I didn't watch them when I could.

They are very, very good audio books.

They are very, very good audio books.

I agree.  

I looked at the first of those doorstops and immediately cashed in a token at Audible.   ;)

I've listened to the entire series (as has DH) which completely changes how I watch the show...