Menu

Unhelpful 1 star book reviews on Amazon

A Kid's Review
worst book ever. never read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it doesn't make sense. Do not I repeat do not read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so frustrating to run into these. I check the low rating reviews for comments on anything objectionable in the book's content, and having a dozen reviews like this is so pointless (and brings down the total rating). Are teachers encouraging leaving reviews for extra credit?

I think the most baffling was a glowing review that the reviewer rated one star intentionally because, they explained, "more people read one star reviews and would see my review". :huh:

Guest elowyn

My personal pet peeve is when someone reviews the used/secondhand seller that they bought the book from, rather than the book itself.  

Don't blame the book for the fact that "pencil marks were found throughout" or whatever.  It's not the book's fault, go to the seller's rating page!

I think the most baffling was a glowing review that the reviewer rated one star intentionally because, they explained, "more people read one star reviews and would see my review". :huh:

Sorry, that made me LOL.

The ones that bug me are the people who mix up the star rating - so they give something 1 star and say how wonderful it is, and I don't think they're doing it intentionally.

I've run across a few one-star reviews that started something like, "I haven't read this book, but...." That's as much as I read. Seriously, WHY do they think anyone would ever want to read a "review" written by someone who never read the book?!?

That's why I usually look at the profile of the reviews - how many, and if there's just a couple, what the negative ones said.  I'm pretty sure teachers do make Amazon reviewing an assignment.  Those actually don't bother me.  It's probably a kid's book.  A kid thought it was bad.  That's useful information, though obviously a lot of kids divide books into five star and one star books with nothing in between. ;)

The reviews of the packaging/shipping bug me a lot more.  Review the product, not the seller, idiots.

Yes. It might even be an assignment in lieu of the more traditional book report. It annoys the heck out of me, too.

But why?  I like it better than a "book report" because it's a real world writing assignment - the writing is "published" and informs actual other people.  And the kid read the book and didn't like it.  Yes, many kids give poorly written, overly simplistic views of books, but why is that view not still part of the big picture of what people thought of the book?

I suppose I dislike that a teacher picks the book, then has the kid do the review.  In an authentic experience, no one would read a book that they weren't going to at least potentially like.  In a way the kid may be reviewing the experience of being forced to read something above their level or that they had zero interest in.  But still...  it's their opinion of the book.

I suppose I dislike that a teacher picks the book, then has the kid do the review. In an authentic experience, no one would read a book that they weren't going to at least potentially like. In a way the kid may be reviewing the experience of being forced to read something above their level or that they had zero interest in. But still... it's their opinion of the book.

Mostly because it's assigned and some kids will hate that no matter what. For me, it's more because there really isn't a great deal of informing going on let alone quality writing. Typically they are a handful of sentences with a number of exclamation points and seem to me to be more about checking off a box than actual writing. You hate the book? Fine. Tell me why.

Mostly because it's assigned and some kids will hate that no matter what. For me, it's more because there really isn't a great deal of informing going on let alone quality writing. Typically they are a handful of sentences with a number of exclamation points and seem to me to be more about checking off a box than actual writing. You hate the book? Fine. Tell me why.

Yeah, I get that.  Kids are lame. ;)  I guess it just doesn't bug me.  If fourth grade teachers everywhere are assigning a book and kids are all reviewing it on Amazon with two word "it suckd" one star reviews, that's sort of interesting to me in a weird way.

I was looking at picture books for the 4-7 age range a few weeks ago, and came across dozens of 1 star reviews left by children around the age of 10 who said 'this book was boring, this book didn't interest me' or 'I'm rating this a 1 because it was too babyish'. I'm sorry if your teacher thought a kindergarten picture book was appropriate literature for her 5th grade class, but it's not the books fault!

Also, adults who buy non-fiction picture books then complain because they didn't give enough details and weren't suitable for the intended use (often self education or teaching older children than a picture book usually would). Sorry, your inability to READ THE AGE RECOMMENDATION or to LOOK AT THE PAGE COUNT or to VIEW THE PREVIEW is not the books fault either.

I do wish amazon moderated their reviews sometimes.

I always roll my eyes at the 1 star reviews for young adult books that say something like "This is a great book for a teenager, but not for an adult."  Um, yeah.  That's why it's a YOUNG ADULT book!

I've seen this go the other way around, too. I saw a review on an educational video clearly aimed towards at least preschool (I think it was one of the Leapfrog phonics videos - something similar, in any case) from someone claiming it didn't hold the interest of their 1 year old.

But why?  I like it better than a "book report" because it's a real world writing assignment - the writing is "published" and informs actual other people.  And the kid read the book and didn't like it.  Yes, many kids give poorly written, overly simplistic views of books, but why is that view not still part of the big picture of what people thought of the book?

I suppose I dislike that a teacher picks the book, then has the kid do the review.  In an authentic experience, no one would read a book that they weren't going to at least potentially like.  In a way the kid may be reviewing the experience of being forced to read something above their level or that they had zero interest in.  But still...  it's their opinion of the book.

If the child needs to review the book for the assignment, they ought to first write a rough draft, then improve it, and then publish it. There are so many terrible assignment-looking reviews on Amazon. Polished ones are great, though.

I've run across a few one-star reviews that started something like, "I haven't read this book, but...." That's as much as I read. Seriously, WHY do they think anyone would ever want to read a "review" written by someone who never read the book?!?

I've seen these kinds of reviews after an author goes on some national TV show and says something controversial. The reviewer is upset at what he/she heard the author say on TV and is going off on the author without bothering to even attempt reading the book.

I've given poor reviews to books that I couldn't finish. My rule is to try to read at least 100 pages but I don't always make it even that far. But I would never review a book that I hadn't even started to read.

I've given poor reviews to books that I couldn't finish. My rule is to try to read at least 100 pages but I don't always make it even that far. But I would never review a book that I hadn't even started to read.

I like those reviews.  You gave it a good try but didn't like it, so a bad review is in order (particularly if you say what you didn't like rather than some that just say "I didn't like it").  I don't like one-stars that say "I read the first three pages..."  Plenty of books I hated the first three (or 50) pages and ended up loving in the end.  They were just slow to get started.  Ones where they are just reacting to who the author is drive me crazy.

I've seen these kinds of reviews after an author goes on some national TV show and says something controversial. The reviewer is upset at what he/she heard the author say on TV and is going off on the author without bothering to even attempt reading the book.

Yes, that's a good point. If a capable reader couldn't slog through the book, then that's a review I'd want to read. I think the reviews I ran across were more of the "this author said something that made me mad!" variety.

Oh yes, I love those low star reviews because, "Amazon sent me the wrong thing. This is not what I asked for." Um, so get off the review section & call them to return it. Doh! 

Yeah, I'm with you. Was scanning low reviews on several books this year to debate how/when/where to work them into our schedule AND those silly reviews made me want to slap people. 

The same things go for other stuff besides books. I just love the ones where people order something like a blender and say that they haven't used it yet, but they are sure it will be great.  :cursing:  I think that probably happens because Amazon will sometimes send out emails asking you to review something 3 days after you order, and for some reason people think they must do it right away.  :rolleyes:

The same things go for other stuff besides books. I just love the ones where people order something like a blender and say that they haven't used it yet, but they are sure it will be great.  :cursing:  I think that probably happens because Amazon will sometimes send out emails asking you to review something 3 days after you order, and for some reason people think they must do it right away.  :rolleyes:

I think this is a big part of it. I've ordered a lot of stuff I plan to use for school next year, and have gotten multiple e-mails asking me to review one item or another. I haven't used any of it with DD yet, and in most cases, haven't even read through it myself, so how do I know how well it's going to work? I'm still trying to finish THIS school year!

If they're members of Amazon Vine, they have 30 days to review the freebie item or Amazon blocks them from ordering more stuff until they're caught up on their overdue reviews.