Menu

Tell me about Life of Fred

I'm looking for some math supplements for my 11yo and 8yo.  We've used MUS and been happy with it but these two kids need some additional math work over the summer and then maybe through the school year.  Would LOF work??  I'd start the 11yo with the Geometry book and the 8yo with the Apples book, right??  Would Apples be too childish for an 11yo who hates math and pretty much stinks at it??

What level of math is your 11 yr old at? Geometry comes after advanced algebra in the LOF sequence, and the assumption is that kids will have already had beginning algebra (algebra I) and advanced algebra (algebra II) and be at a high school math level. It's not a typical high school text and the reading passages are simple, but the math is high school level.

My math-hater did not like it at all. The first lesson was cute and funny. But by the 2nd lesson she quickly found out that it was just math word problems and we didn't last long after that. So, I'd say it depends whether your kids like math or not. They might like LOF if they like math. Mine hated it.

My kids like LOF. I started my 11 and 10 yo boys in Apples and now they are in...I forget. lol Farming? Goldfish? Something like that.

My 14 started with the decimals and percents one and is now doing the pre-algebra with biology. She likes it but considers it harder than Saxon pre-algebra.

You definitely don't want the geometry book, that is a high school text, not for an 11yo who 'stinks at math' :) He might do well with Kidneys/Liver/Mineshaft though, or he is about the right age to begin fractions/decimals/percents if he seems capable.

I love the life of fred method, and some kids adore the books and get a LOT out of them. There's a reason they're popular. But they are definitely not for everyone. If you can, I'd just buy a couple of books to try, and get the rest if the kids like them.

I wonder where I got the idea that Geometry was first?? Oh well. I think I'll get Apples and try it with both kids. Thanks!!

That's what I did and don't get discouraged with it because Apples starts with adding 4 + 2 or whatever. I think that's better for a kid who isn't strong in math to build confidence because LOF looks at math so very differently. That's one of my favorite things about it because I was horrible at math as a kid.

That's what I did and don't get discouraged with it because Apples starts with adding 4 + 2 or whatever. I think that's better for a kid who isn't strong in math to build confidence because LOF looks at math so very differently. That's one of my favorite things about it because I was horrible at math as a kid.

Totally agree! I catch my 11yo using her fingers still so starting at the beginning is probably what she needs.