Menu

HE dryer help needed NOW! (Advice and brand recommendations needed)

Janie Grace

Someone slammed the door of my Whirlpool Duet HE dryer and broke the outer plastic cover. Now it won't stay closed (which means it switches off and won't dry). It's about 7-8 years old. It has started (in the past year or so) taking a REALLY long time to dry stuff (which means it's hogging power) so it probably needed to be serviced or replaced anyway.

Questions:

~ Would you try to get it fixed? By whom?

~ If you'd replace it, what would you replace it with? I want HE, front-loader (and plenty big).

Thanks!!!

You might be able to replace the door part yourself. Check replacement parts online. Many sites have links to videos showing how to replace this or that part.

Is the reason it's taking so long to dry is that it's not heating? This happened to my cheapo Kenmore gas drier. It turned out all it needed was to have two solenoid coils replaced (people *love* to help diagnose appliance problems online). I did it myself for a total cost of less than $40.

You might be able to replace the door part yourself. Check replacement parts online. Many sites have links to videos showing how to replace this or that part.

Is the reason it's taking so long to dry is that it's not heating? This happened to my cheapo Kenmore gas drier. It turned out all it needed was to have two solenoid coils replaced (people *love* to help diagnose appliance problems online). I did it myself for a total cost of less than $40.

I don't know why it takes so long. It seems to be heating... however, I mostly dry on "low" so I'm not positive. It would be great if we could fix it.