Menu

Classes - entire year or single semester?

For us, it depends on the class.  Math, science, English and foreign language are full year courses, because that's the amount of time we need to devote to them.

This year, we did AP US Government and AP Comparative Govt as two one semester courses. I have seen some schools that do a full year of US Government. That would have been interesting. I would have had more time for longer written assignments.  But it would have come at the cost of the second course.

Next year, the oldest is leaning toward two semester courses for social studies. Probably economics and then a specialty history course. Possibly an anthropological approach to the history of military conflict. 

Your transcript does not necessarily have to show how a class was organized - mine just lists the title and credits under the school year; nobody will know whether the course was done over a year or in a semester or in a crazy intensive six week session.

I agree with kiana: unless a student wants to double up on math and foreign language and complete two credits in a year, I would not do the course in a semester because the semester off is bad. OTOH, many courses could be completed as block schedule - but the student needs to be aware that this means twice the amount of work per day, i.e. roughly two hours per day per subject  if a credit is to be competed during a semester.

We organized the transcript by subject, so it didn't matter how the course was accomplished. Some were 1 year, some condensed into 1 semester. One credit was accumulated over the course of three summers. The science credits were actually spread out over two years (getting much of it done in one year, then finishing at the beginning of the next year and starting the next science in that same year…) -- we did about 3/4 of a science per year, so by the end of 4 years we had 3 science credits.

All of that would have been a VERY complicated and messy transcript, so listed by subject solved that problem. ;)

We organized the transcript by subject, so it didn't matter how the course was accomplished. Some were 1 year, some condensed into 1 semester. One credit was accumulated over the course of three summers. The science credits were actually spread out over two years (getting much of it done in one year, then finishing at the beginning of the next year and starting the next science in that same year…) -- we did about 3/4 of a science per year, so by the end of 4 years we had 3 science credits.

All of that would have been a VERY complicated and messy transcript, so listed by subject solved that problem. ;)

I suppose I never thought about listing it by subject :huh:

I use HST and it lists by semesters and years, but I think I can change that.  I will check and see.

thanks!

Does it matter?  Does one look better on a transcript than the other?  

ETA:  We prefer courses stretched over the year, but I was wondering if that looks weak?  Maybe that is a crazy question, maybe it doesn't matter?  

But it's common in high schools for most courses to take two semesters to complete. Why do you think it would it look "weak" for you to do that? :confused1:

Out here all courses in the public schools are 1 semester classes, we are doing some year long ones in our home but if the kids were in school all subjects wold be 1 semester.  Our sciences for example are different thought, in grade 11 and 12 each bio, chem and physics can be taken at increasing difficult, so in the end you have 1 year od each but you take 1 semester of each one per year.  Even foreign language and english are done in 1 semester each.  The difference for us is when it is on the transcript even if it takes 2 years to complete the work in a course it is assumed it was finished in a semester since that is the norm.

Looks like we will be doing a mix this coming year, as we are going to take advantage of some free online courses from our local public school (a new offering). All the public high schools here do semester block schedules, so those from the school will be in this format, while other classes at co-op and home are going to be year long. Should be interesting. The only classes that are year long here are AP, evidently. Still not sure exactly how that all works out for a full time public school student.

Here there are schools that do semester blocks and schools that do year long classes. Neither one would look unusual. Personally we do a mix, but no college would ever know that unless they asked in an interview. I have nothing about semesters on my transcript, just years. I do organize transcripts by year, not by subject, but I still don't mention semesters. I list if a course is a full credit or a half credit, but not which semester or semesters it was taken in.

But it's common in high schools for most courses to take two semesters to complete. Why do you think it would it look "weak" for you to do that? :confused1:

I have no idea....I have no clue what PS does, I have no clue about any of it  :lol:

Thanks ya'll!