Menu

Killgallon sentences

asmall

My daughter picked out the killgallon books to try for next year. I was wondering if you can get these as e-books? Also do they have an answer key? We are thinking about getting the three middle school books, maybe we'll get the elementary books for my other daughter. Has anyone used these and liked them? Can you give me your personal pros and cons?

Thanks,

AL

:lurk5:    I don't know about answer keys, since in many of them the goal is to create your own sentences.  There appears to be an online teacher's guide that comes with the text.

"An online teacher's guide accompanies Grammar for Middle School and includes advice, tips, resources, answer keys, and even curricular plans for teachers who are either new to the Killgallon approach or sentence-composing veterans."

We are looking into getting these for a Sixth Grade, so I will really be interested in other's experiences.

I was looking for an answer key because I noticed in the samples they had parts of sentences to unscramble. When I was looking at it there could be many ways of writing the same sentence. I just wanted to be sure I was teaching my child the way they were focusing on. But it is good to know there is a teachers guide.

Hoping someone that has used these can add their two-cents. Also wondering which book is best. They have sentences, grammar, and paragraphs. Would you get them all?

AL

I used these for some writing camps I taught in the past, but it's been a long time.  So, take this for what it's worth. ;)  I don't think you'll need answer key necessarily because the scrambles usually followed a particular pattern you were studying.  So, if you were studying a certain kind of compound sentence, you would unscramble the scrambles to match that pattern.  I don't remember having a key or even if a key was available. I was using the elementary level, so I really can't speak to the middle level.  If it were me, I'd get the first and see what you think of it first.  I also like to make up my own stuff from literature we were using.

I was looking for an answer key because I noticed in the samples they had parts of sentences to unscramble. When I was looking at it there could be many ways of writing the same sentence. I just wanted to be sure I was teaching my child the way they were focusing on.

There is an answer key to everything in the back of the book, except when the

student is to make up her own sentences.

Yes, there are places when there are multiple ways of unscrambling a

sentence, but only one way that matches the model. In these cases, I

tell my kid that her version is a valid sentence, but also have her make it

match the model. Then we discuss how the different word order affects

the meaning. Usually there is a shift in emphasis with the different word order.

• 4 weeks later...