Menu

if you have had a garage sale before, I have an advertising question for you...

ProudGrandma

do you wait until the morning of the first day of your sale to put out your signs around the area...or do you set them up the night before?  I will just have so much stuff to do the morning of the sale, I really would like to cross this one off my list if I can set my signs out the night before....is there any reason I shouldn't do that?

As much as it is a lot of work when you least need it, I would put them out the morning of and only just before you open.  The last time I did a garage sale, I can't tell you how many people knocked on my door an hour before I planned to open.  I was still in my bathrobe with a towel on my head.  One lady yelled and swore at me when I refused to open early for her.  (I don't do garage sales any more :cursing: - I sell online or donate.)

If there is no chance someone will post their own signs over yours the next morning, go ahead.  We also put a large sign (we covered a political sign that sticks in the ground) with an arrow at our street corner, with a large stuffed Snowman to draw the eye (use any unwanted stuffed animal or balloon) in the morning when we are ready to go.  Put large items near the street to also stop folks - I never stop for garage sales if I can't see stuff as I slowly drive by.  If you have big stuff then I figure you may have lots of other stuff, too, and I am more likely to stop.  Mere tables covered in folded clothes I pass by. I want to see that you have STUFF.

Most people who stop because you have a sign are making a spontaneous decision to do so.  They aren't really thinking, "Oh, there's going to be a yard sale tomorrow.  Let's make a note to come back."

You will get early birds if you put them up the night before.  I have done it, waiting until after dark, so that no one bothers me that night, if I knew I was going to get up and go outside pretty early myself.

Also, keep your signs simple.  People don't really have time to read all the details as they drive past.  Yard (or 'Garage' if that's what is used locally) Sale and a big arrow for most locations.  I have put the address on for some signs, like at a major intersection near me where a particular pole is apt to have 10 yard sale signs any given weekend.  No one reads the date or time.

I also usually advertise online when it's free to do so, like on Craigslist.  We have one local radio station with a free classifieds online, as well.

Around here people will arrive early and signs are put out in the morning.

By the morning of the sale everything should be ready to go...if you are leaving a lot to do that morning you might want to rethink it...just my two cents...

Can you make a list of where you want signs and ask someone else to put them up?

I only make signs that say 
yard sale  Sat/Sun 9-3 > (with an arrow pointing the direction).

I make them all the same style and same color, so people know they are following the right signs.  I like neon pink as it is very visible even on a rainy day. 

I do not put my address on signs, to reduce the likely hood of early birds.

I put up all the signs except the one that directly leads to my cul-de-sac the night before.  

In the morning I put up the last one.  

I make a large cardboard sign that can be seen from the road 'closed- open 9-3, do not knock on door' sign and put it up, when I am not open.