Menu

Nothing like a 3am phone call from an injured college kid at the E.R.....

JFSinIL

to really , REALLY wake you up!

DS simply fell walking home from the local bar (he is 22) and used his face as a landing pad onto a rock or curb - not sure which - and a roommate took him to the ER where they did a CAT scan, gave him stitches...luckily no broken nose or concussion although I believe there was blood everywhere.  But he was very upset and needed to talk to his mom :-)

I think I found a few more white hairs this morning.  :-0

He kept apologizing for calling us, but I just reminded him that a boy's best friend is his mother (no, I didn't say exactly that ;-)  )  rather I assured him he could always call his mom or dad anytime for any reason. 

He is fighting depression this year while away at school, so we do worry already. 

Glad he's OK. And glad he called. It would be much more upsetting to me to find out a child had been injured and in the ER and had opted not to call me! Sounds like your son does know you are there for him, and like he has some good friends watching out for him too.

Ouch! I hope he has a speedy and uneventful recovery!

We received a 2am phone call from dd (she lives on campus literally 1.5 miles from our house at the big state u). Her roommate had Made Some Bad Choices that night and was being transported to the hospital. Dd was going to ride along so she wouldn't be alone and asked one of us to drive her back to the dorm.

I didn't fall back asleep that night.

My 16 year old called me last week to tell me she had been in a car accident--she was rear-ended by a grandmother who was texting while driving. Ironic, no? Anyway, she was 100% fine, very calm, and I talked her through what to do while I was standing in the middle of the grocery store. When I hung up, I immediately called my husband to let him know, and I could barely talk! I was about as close to big heaving sobs as you can get without actually sobbing. It was the craziest reaction! She was fine; I was not! She was amazing, and I could not be more proud of the way she conducted herself, but the whole "mama panic" took me completely by surprise. I have been in more car accidents than anyone else I know (not my fault), and I never was moved to tears by a single one. But my baby getting bumped on a rainy Friday was a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

So all that is to say, OP, that I know where you are coming from. Glad all is well!

Good to hear your son will be OK!

We got the 11pm-and-2000+-miles-away call from DD20 last year.  She fell down some stairs and hurt her back bad enough that she couldn't move her legs at first.  Transported to ER in an ambulance where they called us.  It was touch-and-go whether DH and I would have to be on the next plane, but the docs decided to not do surgery that night.  Everything turned out ok in the end (no operations required), but boy, oh boy was that a bad night!

When I hung up, I immediately called my husband to let him know, and I could barely talk! I was about as close to big heaving sobs as you can get without actually sobbing. It was the craziest reaction!

I am pretty sure I would react the same way!

Your dd sounds like a lovely, level-headed young lady.