Menu

Logic after Orbiting with Logic (not Fallacy Detective)

Ds 10 has done the whole Orbiting with Logic series (and has read a couple of more or less kid-friendly books on logic because he always finishes the workbook early). He has enjoyed them, but is getting bored with logic puzzles. He is probably ready for an introduction to formal logic. What are some fairly light and fun books/programs that don't have the ideological slant of FD?

CAP's Art of Argument has been revised so that it is not as political. We will be using it this coming year. We are liberal and not Christian and I still feel it suits us. There are also several novel-type logic books out there, but I am not at home so I don't have access to the links. I think one is called Logic to the Rescue.

We are coming from Orbiting with Logic, too.

CAP's Art of Argument has been revised so that it is not as political. We will be using it this coming year. We are liberal and not Christian and I still feel it suits us. There are also several novel-type logic books out there, but I am not at home so I don't have access to the links. I think one is called Logic to the Rescue.

We are coming from Orbiting with Logic, too.

Art of Argument is on my list as a possibility. I think ds would like one of the novel-type books though. Can you post the titles of some others when you have time?

After completing Orbiting With Logic (Risby), here are some ideas:

Art of Argument 1; Argument Builder 2; Discovery of Deduction 3 (CAP (Classical Academy Press) ) -- middle school; Christian authors, but attempts to be neutral in presentation & examples)

"Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery"  (Lipman) -- middle school; logic and philosophy; read about it: "We're only on chapter 2 but…")

The Snake and the Fox (Haight) -- high school
Nonsense: Red Herrings, Straw Men and Sacred Cows: How We Abuse Logic in Our Everyday Language (Gula) -- high school

Critical Thinking: Problem Solving, Reasoning, Logic, Argument (Harnadek) -- middle/high school; 2 books

Logic to the Rescue: Adventures in Reason 1 (Langman) -- middle school

Logic to the Rescue: Castles and Chemistry 2 (Langman) -- middle school

James Madison Critical Thinking Course -- middle/high school

Gift of Logic resources -- I have no info on this one

The Writing Center: Argument -- handout / guide for argument as a form of logic

The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten (Baggini) -- high school; scenarios to prompt discussion/debate

The Philosopher's Toolkit (Baggini) -- high school; scenarios to prompt discussion/debate
Philosophy For Kids and Advanced Philosophy for Kids: The Examined Life (White) -- middle school; philosophy (more recent threads indicate these may not be fully secular)

More ideas and discussion in these past threads, and a list of resources (last link below):

Logic text (FREE)

Has anyone found a secular logic program?

Secular logic

Secular logic suggestions?

Secular logic - a plan for grade 5 onward?

list of logic-related books from Living Math -- all ages

We're finishing up Art of Argument. Like Tara said it's been revised, which made it workable for us. I was still worried about subjects like abortion, religious overkill, drugs, bias on wars or conflicts, but none of it was bad (for my family.) It turned out to be brief mentions, in contexts that totally made sense. No big deal for us at all. It was the hit of the school year. My kids especially liked discussing the ads and making their own.

They're seeing the world in a whole new light, and of course spotting fallacies everywhere. 

This year I only bought the TM and did everything as oral lessons (keeping it fairly light.) 

We wholeheartedly recommend it. :)