Menu

ITBS test rules, scope sequence, etc., does anyone have a link or familiarity?

Pen

The testing place I thought we were going to go to closed, so I had to make other last minute arrangements.

My son will be taking ITBS for his required std. testing this year. I am wondering if it is a test that subtracts points or parts of points for wrong answers, and if so how much is subtracted. Once I find out, we'll have that be a math question to figure out when it is best to guess or not. Though to do that I need also to know how many multiple choice options there are per question.

Also does anyone know a link for the math scope tested at its various grade levels? Or a link for sample tests? I tried running a search, but did not find anything helpful.

I don't think the ITBS subtracts points for wrong answers. Your "score" is really comparing you to other kids in your grade when it was 'normed.' 

So, theoretically, you can miss 1 and be in the 75th percentile if on 25% of the kids get all the answers on that section correct. (Or something like that.) For some (many?) kids, the fact that it is timed is the killer. If they aren't quick, they just don't get to everything. They have questions that are *harder* than "grade level" so they can differentiate between those who know their level of work & those who know more. 

For example, dd#1 & dd#2 took the ITBS last year. Their test levels were two apart (like 10 & 12), but there was probably a 10-25% overlap of the same questions on each section. When I used to take the ITBS, I remember thinking the test was really similar each year as in, "Is this the same version I took last year?"

I don't know of any scope/sequence for math. We only take standardized tests for our own knowledge -- and I already usually know where the kids are so we don't prep for them or freak out about them. They score how I expect them to score. Edited to add that you can buy a practice test.

Good luck!

Thanks. I got a practice test. I don't use std tests for my own knowledge because I do basically know where my child is in various subjects. It is a state requirement here, but a change from what we did last time which was computerized and un-timed. The first time for the past test was odd because it was very much not in keeping with our scope and sequence, but then we got used to that. Now we need to get used to a whole new thing. And he will take it at a high school after a drive into "the city." It has to be with an official approved test administrator, and I will not ever see the test myself. So far as I know I will just get a number score as results, but will have no idea what he misses or gets as to specifics.

There is no penalty on the ITBS. As the pp said, you get a percentile ranking for each subtest. On your results you also get a breakdown of what he missed. You won't know the exact question, but you'll know that he missed 1 geometry problem on the math concept test or 2 life science questions on the science battery.

We prep with Scoring High on the ITBS.

I've used Spectrum test prep books, but I was able to find a Scoring High Teacher's Manual for my 2nd grader at the used book sale last year. They are very expensive to purchase new and you have to have the TM for administering the practice tests and the answer keys. My 2nd grader said that his test prep book was just like the actual test. I had my 4th grader practice out of a 5th grade Spectrum test book, because I've felt like they were too easy in the past. I was informed by a friend's son who took the IOWA test a week before we did that there were three types of questions on a math concept he had never had before. Apparently all the kids were talking about it after the test, so my friend told me to prepare my child for that topic. Based on the research I had to do to actually cover this topic, it appeared to be a standard for 6th or 7th grade in most cases - not 4th grade. In conclusion, I have no idea how you find what will be on the test as far as standards. I even looked at the IOWA state standards on IXL to see what would be covered for 4th grade, and this particular topic wasn't on there anywhere.

I've used Spectrum test prep books, but I was able to find a Scoring High Teacher's Manual for my 2nd grader at the used book sale last year. They are very expensive to purchase new and you have to have the TM for administering the practice tests and the answer keys. My 2nd grader said that his test prep book was just like the actual test. I had my 4th grader practice out of a 5th grade Spectrum test book, because I've felt like they were too easy in the past. I was informed by a friend's son who took the IOWA test a week before we did that there were three types of questions on a math concept he had never had before. Apparently all the kids were talking about it after the test, so my friend told me to prepare my child for that topic. Based on the research I had to do to actually cover this topic, it appeared to be a standard for 6th or 7th grade in most cases - not 4th grade. In conclusion, I have no idea how you find what will be on the test as far as standards. I even looked at the IOWA state standards on IXL to see what would be covered for 4th grade, and this particular topic wasn't on there anywhere.

Is it one TM for all years of testing, or a separate ridiculous expensive thing for each year? It seems unreasonable not to put the answer key and directions with the student test book.  

Having types of questions that are not at all typical for a particular grade is also what we found when my son tested on the other test he did last time. What were the types of math questions that were unexpected?--presumably anything that appears on Gr. 4 test may also show up on later ones.

There is no penalty on the ITBS. As the pp said, you get a percentile ranking for each subtest. On your results you also get a breakdown of what he missed. You won't know the exact question, but you'll know that he missed 1 geometry problem on the math concept test or 2 life science questions on the science battery.

We prep with Scoring High on the ITBS.

I hope we get breakdown results like that. It will make it a bit more valuable than just fulfilling the legal requirement.

Do you also think the TM is needed for "Scoring High on the ITBS"?