Menu

Do dogs really find their way home?

madteaparty

Yesterday 4 wild turkeys congregated near our bird feeder (a first) at the same exact time our dog was out for her morning business. She set out in hot pursuit, disappeared into our woods and we have not seen her since. We live in a rural area. She has escaped before but someone drove her home. She is little over a year old. We've already been door to door with all the neighbors.

She has never returned home from far away (only from across our field, we call and she comes when she's getting too far) so I am not hopeful.

Aw, I hope so.

I had a dog when I was a kid that would sometimes wander out into the woods for days and then come back. It was a little poodle. It's not like he was some sort of tracking hound or anything. :-)

So, yes, I have high hopes that your doggie comes home.

Well...I know that cats do, and I think dogs are better at things like that then cats.  When I was a kid, we were driving our cat to the vet to be spayed.  I held her in my lap...she spooked a fair ways down the road, she jumped out of the little triangle window, and I was sure we'd never see her again.  She was home by dinner.  I think there is hope, but I'd still be canvassing the area....

She may find her way home, but please do all you can in the meantime to find her.  Please consider putting up signs and delivering flyers to all your neighbors.  There are some great guidelines for signs and flyers here:

http://www.missingpetpartnership.org/recovery-posters.php

You can read about typical lost dog behavior here:

http://www.missingpetpartnership.org/recovery-lostdog.php

Please keep in mind that your dog may well have been picked up and taken to a shelter.  Some shelters do not hold dogs for long before euthanizing them.  It's vitally important that you go to the shelters yourself to look for your dog, at least every other day.  Leave flyers at every shelter.

Visit local vet offices and leave flyers there, too, as well as at pet stores and anywhere else flyers can be posted. 

Post ads on your local Craigslist and, if possible, in local newspapers.  Check the "found pet" ads in those places as well.

Was your dog wearing a collar?  If not, someone might have assumed she was a stray and taken her in.  Again, signs and flyers are essential.

Keep looking, keep calling, and don't give up hope.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

So glad she is home! And, yes, in my experience dogs do usually find their way home. (If no one decides to contain them.) Every time I have had a dog escape, they have returned home. That is multiple dogs and multiple escapes. 

Once, we had a dog return after a full year of being missing. We left our lab in a dog fence inside our fenced backyard on Sunday morning. When we returned from church, both gates (dog fence and backyard fence) were open and dog was gone. We searched the neighborhood. We checked the pound. No dog. One year later, I looked out the window and saw him trotting down the street. My guess is that someone dognapped him. He escaped from them much, much later and found his way home. 

Years ago, my sister had just moved to a new rental.  Her dog got out of the yard.  She was unable to find him.  He turned up 2 weeks later at her old house.  The neighbors called and she picked up the dog.  He had traveled at least 15 miles across high traffic roads to get to the home he knew.  He was a black lab.