Menu

Young earth paleontologists??

Moxie

My hair dresser is a homeschooling mom and her son is about to graduate so I was picking her brain about high school.  As she started to list off her favorite curricula, I had to stop her and let her know that we don't believe in the young earth and that my son's life dream is to be a paleontologist (we've talked about this before so the conversation wasn't awkward).

Her comment was that there are a lot more young earth scientists out there now. 

That made me curious--are there any employed young earth paleontologists??  Besides at the Creation Museum??

My hair dresser is a homeschooling mom and her son is about to graduate so I was picking her brain about high school. As she started to list off her favorite curricula, I had to stop her and let her know that we don't believe in the young earth and that my son's life dream is to be a paleontologist (we've talked about this before so the conversation wasn't awkward).

Her comment was that there are a lot more young earth scientists out there now.

That made me curious--are there any employed young earth paleontologists?? Besides at the Creation Museum??

A lot? No.

Some? Yes.

Legitimate young earth paleontologists? None.

I do not know about paleontologists and Young Earth, but there are many physicians and P.h.Ds I work for who do not believe in macroevolution. I know this is not the same thing, but the numbers seem to be escalating of graduate level people jumping the evolution bandwagon. (Not all believe in Creationism, either, by the way).

I do not know about paleontologists and Young Earth, but there are many physicians and P.h.Ds I work for who do not believe in macroevolution. I know this is not the same thing, but the numbers seem to be escalating of graduate level people jumping the evolution bandwagon. (Not all believe in Creationism, either, by the way).

What are you basing that statement on?

What are you basing that statement on?

And how many is "many" and what is the nature of the company/office/institution in question.

Maybe there's an increasing number of graduate students at certain religious colleges that  deny scientific facts??

As for the paleontologist mentioned in a reply above, he got his PhD while claiming to believe in an old earth. I wonder if he lied to his profs, or somehow changed his mind afterwards?

He is also working for a "university" that teaches creationism. My guess is that his employment options are fairly limited beyond a certain subculture of schools.

As for the paleontologist mentioned in a reply above, he got his PhD while claiming to believe in an old earth. I wonder if he lied to his profs, or somehow changed his mind afterwards?

He simply "tailors" his message to his audience:

“Millions of years†was a phrase that also appeared in Ross’ talk on Late Cretaceous marine stratigraphy; many of his slides used normal geologic time, with millions of years clearly labeled on axes. Nothing in his 15-minute talk hinted at nonstandard geologic thinking. ... [When asked how he reconciled his research with his belief in a young earth] Ross answered the question by saying that for a scientific meeting such as GSA, he thought in a “framework†of standard science; but for a creationist audience, he said, he used a creationist framework.

Here's a really interesting article about how YE creationists who present papers and posters at academic conferences hide their connections to creationist institutions, carefully word their presentations to avoid any mention of creationism or YE, and avoid saying anything that directly conflicts with accepted science. Then they triumphantly announce that creationists are "challenging" accepted science, their research is being increasingly "accepted" by the academic community, etc. For example, the Institute for Creation Research bragged that their research was published in a major peer-reviewed geology publication, when in fact the creationists had merely led a field trip, which made no mention of creationism or YE, and the field trip guide was published in the conference proceedings along with all the other field trip guides.

Purposely deceptive — but also effective. Because of course their real audience is not other geologists.

I wonder if they're also jumping off the "gravity bandwagon" and the "heliocentric bandwagon"?

Gravity is really holding me down these days. I wanna hop off the gravity bandwagon. Anyone care to join me?

I don't want to be a gravity teetotaler or anything.......

I just want the scale to say happier things when I stand upon it!

I hear they may actually hit double digits this year.