Menu

When visiting Washington DC where do you stay

lynn

Right now, we stay in a hotel room if we visit our girls who are away at school. I kind of assume that if they have an extra bedroom later on, we would stay with them. 

Hahaha! Much different question now! dc vs Washington DC... My answer is the same. I would stay in a hotel...Which one? I have no clue. I try not to visit there. Too much bologna flying around, not to mention the traffic!

I thought that was an odd question...

Edited by Lolly

We visited Washington DC about 10 years ago before we moved from VA and the ladies on the boards recommended Harrington Hotel.  We stayed there and it worked well for us.  It is a no frills hotel but it met our needs for a place to sleep at night.  It was very reasonably priced for being close to the places we wanted to visit.  We could walk wherever we needed to.  The drivers in DC are a little crazy!!

I was in DC last week and I got a hotel near the Capitol and Union Station for around $100 through Hotwire that had two queen beds enough for 4 people.

If you are planning to see the monuments, i would recommend this tour company. I did a tour around the National Mall and Tidal basin and later the Lincoln Assassination tour with them.

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/

I loved their guides so much, just the right amount of info and then you can go back later to spend more time at each monument. Now I am tempted to visit other cities where they run tours :-)

We have liked the Phoenix Park Hotel. It's a historic hotel, smallish, so that it doesn't attract boisterous tour groups. Location is next to Union Station, an easy walk to Capitol. Also easy to get to if you are coming from the north.

But check parking. We paid nothing, hotel guided us to a lot that was free on weekends. But if we had been there during the week, overnight parking would have been expensive.

I have also liked the Lombardy Hotel, another historic one, more expensive than Phoenix Park.

For more budget minded, there are hotels across the river in Arlington or up in Silver Spring, MD, right near Metro stations. Personally, I always like to be IN the city I am visiting, but tastes vary, so I thought I'd mention these too.

I was in DC last week and I got a hotel near the Capitol and Union Station for around $100 through Hotwire that had two queen beds enough for 4 people.

If you are planning to see the monuments, i would recommend this tour company. I did a tour around the National Mall and Tidal basin and later the Lincoln Assassination tour with them.

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/

I loved their guides so much, just the right amount of info and then you can go back later to spend more time at each monument. Now I am tempted to visit other cities where they run tours :-)

Those look like nice tours!

A few years ago, we stayed across the river at the Crystal City Marriott, because I got a fabulous deal online.  There was a Metro station underneath the hotel. I rely heavily on tripadvisor for reviews of where to stay.  You'll find that weekends are a LOT cheaper in DC than during the week, if that makes a difference in your planning.

A few years ago, we stayed across the river at the Crystal City Marriott, because I got a fabulous deal online.  There was a Metro station underneath the hotel. I rely heavily on tripadvisor for reviews of where to stay.  You'll find that weekends are a LOT cheaper in DC than during the week, if that makes a difference in your planning.

We lived in an apartment in Crystal City for a few months.  It was the most convenient places ever and if I needed to stay in a hotel in DC, I'd look into the many hotels near the Crystal City metro. It's sort of dead in the evenings, but there is a lot to walk or metro to.

We also stayed in the Comfort Inn in Ballston once.  The parking was free which was really nice since a lot of DC area hotels don't have free parking.  There's an infrequent shuttle to the Ballston metro, or you can just walk to it in about 10 minutes. It's not a fancy place to stay, but it didn't cost as much as some places and was on the right side of the city since we were driving in from Charlottesville.

Wherever it is, make sure you're on the metro.  Orange/Blue goes to the Smithsonian.    We usually stay in Foggy Bottom or in Crystal City.  Haven't been back in 10 years, though, so not sure what prices are like.

Washington Marriott down at Metro Center is convenient, but back when I lived in DC, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable walking around there at night.