Menu

Resume -homeschool skills

Plateau Mama

I see people put home educator on their resume. What types of things do you put and how do you word it?

I'm thinking of applying for an administrative assistant position at the Classical Private school my kids attend.

I haven't worked in almost 14 years. I have no idea how to write a resume. Ugh.

I put homeschooling and parenting on my resume. I would probably remove the parenting if I had a college degree, but I'm not there yet. Here's what I put. The reasons I listed what I did under the homeschooling was 1. to show I complied with the legal requirements of my state, and wasn't just off being a rebel. 2. Shows the diversity of what I do, that I have flexible skills, and that facilitating homeschooling is more than opening a workbook with the answers filled in, and 3. shows I understand education is a continual thing and that I find value in continuing education (an important thing for many employers). 

Homeschool Teacher

§  Responsible for meeting the educational requirements for my son under the (insert my state) Homeschool Statute.

§  Researching educational options, purchasing, lesson planning, implementation, and grading of material.

Continued self-education in various academic subjects. 

Homemaker

§  Providing organization and discipline in the day-to-day operation of a household.

§  Continuing education in communication and parenting skills.

I don't have a lot of space on my one-page resume, so I left it as one line under the title of Home Educator with the dates:

• Solely responsible for curriculum development, instruction, and administration of home education program
    for four children of varying grade levels, interests, and abilities

This was mine a few years ago.  Reading it again, I'm not very satisfied with it, but it might give you some ideas:

Home Educator                                                  China and Fife                                              2003 - 2010

• When there was no suitable local school, tutored my sons myself, including day-to-day teaching, worldwide research for the best products and curriculum planning.
  • Worked on teams that organised spelling bees, sports days, book clubs and a cub scout den.
  • Founded and managed two Yahoo groups for home educating parents.
  • Prepared both boys for successful entry to school when we moved to Fife.

L

I don't have a lot of space on my one-page resume, so I left it as one line under the title of Home Educator with the dates:

• Solely responsible for curriculum development, instruction, and administration of home education program

for four children of varying grade levels, interests, and abilities

I like this. Thanks.

Did you ever teach or help with a co-op?  You could put that as well.

I've tutored two years for Classical Conversations which I am planning on putting on there.