Menu

Essentials in Writing

MrsMe

I don't understand if grammar is included in this or not?  We're currently using Saxon Grammar 6 and it's not really blowing my skirt up.  I mean there's no context to it, even using their writing workbook.  But I'll also need a writing program for next year.  So I'm trying to figure out what combo would work; whether it's two separate programs or one that does all for our 8th grade year. 

Some background; we followed HOD's recommendations for R&S 5 for 7th grade but we hated it, so we're using Saxon 6 and dd will be going into 8th.  So it's quite a mess.

Why not try EIW 8 with Analytical Grammar......

EIW does not have enough grammar instruction for a full year of grammar, IMO. I even think it is optional. On AG site, she has a two year timeline chart. You can do season 1-2 in 8th then season 3 in 9th then start high school reinforcement books for hs.

http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/analytical-grammar

Yes, I'm definitely trying to get away from Hake Grammar, but where to go at 8th grade when we're at 6th - somewhat, so this is definitely an option. 

Does it move fast?  Seems like not a lot of time to learn a lot of info.  The reinforcement for hs is a great idea.  I see that if you do 2 seasons you also need a reinforcement book, but there isn't a sample for that.  What is that like?

It's good to know you understood my question, too.  Trying to find something for 8th that would continue through hs and also work with a writing program is exactly what I'm looking for. :)

Edited to add a question on the reinforcement book:  Are those lessons utilizing what is learned in context by way of excerpts, like I see in the high school version?

EIW has grammar in levels 1-6. I haven't used those levels. Levels 7 & up don't have grammar, though 7 & 8 have optional grammar (I've used those levels but not the grammar--we did Easy grammar just before starting EIW). The upper levels do address things like clauses, comma usage, run-ons and sentence fragments, and sometimes things like prepositional phrases etc... but really aren't meant to be grammar programs.

Yes, I'm definitely trying to get away from Hake Grammar, but where to go at 8th grade when we're at 6th - somewhat, so this is definitely an option.

Does it move fast? Seems like not a lot of time to learn a lot of info. The reinforcement for hs is a great idea. I see that if you do 2 seasons you also need a reinforcement book, but there isn't a sample for that. What is that like?

It's good to know you understood my question, too. Trying to find something for 8th that would continue through hs and also work with a writing program is exactly what I'm looking for. :)

Edited to add a question on the reinforcement book: Are those lessons utilizing what is learned in context by way of excerpts, like I see in the high school version?

AG moves as fast or slow as you need it to. My dd had a bit of trouble in JAG so we slowed down and took a couple weeks making practice problems or I would recreate a lesson for her. She then understood and we moved on.

If you do two seasons back to back, you will not need the reinforcement book......but if you break she recommends to get one to use every other week. In that book, you will parse sentences then diagram them, paraphrase sentences then paragraphs, and I think in season 2 part there are list of words from each sentence you parse that you need to state what the word is doing: verb, direct object, modifier, etc.

My oldest started AG in 7th with season one.....then RR every other week or 1x week.....this year she completed season 2 & 3....no R&R book this year. I will be giving her the free post test on AG site to see how much she has retained overall. Then we will just move on to hs reinforcement.

Hope this explains things for you!

Mmm...seems AG could be iffy on the retainment.  I guess I could see doing the reinforcement book but just weekly seems like a recipe for forgetting the material, knowing they're learning this  in just 2 years.

On the other hand EIW seems like a good program in addition to a grammar only program.

Each lesson in Analytical grammar builds on each other..... So what they learn in Unit 1 will still be in all the other units, same with each unit. So you have constant review throughout the whole program. The key is keeping track of misunderstood lessons. Stop and make sure child masters it if having trouble before moving to the next unit. By the time your child is finish with each season.....they are fluent in what they have learned. So having a weekly refresher is nice to keep things in check. My kids haven't had any trouble with jumping back in from a break, as long as they know their stuff!