Menu

Cruise ports Cozumel and Grand Cayman questions

Kari C in SC

We are set to leave very soon on a carnival cruise. I think I want to do stingrays, snorkeling and the turtle farm in Grand Cayman. Wondered if anyone had been to the turtle farm and if they liked it.

And... Cozumel. We did the dolphin thing a few years back. I am trying to decide what to do with a 15 and 9 year old. There is an amazing race excursion and a secret river cave excursion, but I am so not sure. Any advice on been there and loved it would be great! Thanks.

I've been to GC and Cozumel on cruises many, many times. 

I've been to the turtle farm only once, but I wouldn't go back. Neither would my kids.  There's not a whole lot there, and it smells awful!  I wouldn't necessarily shy away from it, though, if you really want to do the other things.

For me, Stingray City and snorkeling off of Grand Cayman are musts.  If you're booking through the cruise line directly, I'd encourage to not do that.  Go to Tripadvisor.com, or, better still, cruisecritic.com (go to Community, then Ports of Call, then Caribbean, then Grand Cayman) and you can find reviews of reputable local vendors where you can get a better, smaller excursion for a much better price.  

My kids and I love Paradise Beach in Cozumel.  It's inexpensive, the beach is beautiful, and they have water toys and a gorgeous pool there.  Another option is Playa Mia.  It's on the same stretch of beach but is really family friendly.  We also love Chankanaab Park, which is probably where you did the dolphin encounter is you were in Cozumel.  There are so many other things to do there, though, it's worth checking out again.  Manatee encounter, beautiful grounds, Snuba, snorkeling....fun things.

I have not done the Amazing Race but I have heard good things about it.  I've never heard of the secret cave excursion in Cozumel.  

Have fun!  We were just in Cozumel a couple of weeks ago and it was a beautiful day.  

And do check out cruisecritic if you haven't already. It's a wealth of information.

My sister in law went to the turtle farm and they LOVED it!!!  She had small kids with her and she said the employees were wonderful helping her and making sure she got pictures and all.  

We went to Chankanaab park in Cozumel.  They do have swimming with dolphins, but there is so much more to do there!  It's a gorgeous park.  And, you can take a taxi from the port and do it cheaper on your own.  We also did Mr. Sanchos Resort.  We did it on our own - it's an all-inclusive beach day.  The food and drinks are VERY good.  We booked the "romance" package because it got us our own cabanna complete with cabanna boy.  Plus we got two massages included.  I swear it was the best massage I've EVER had.  Kayaks and a few other water toys are free but you have to leave a deposit. 

I'm jealous!!!  I want to be planning a cruise!!!

We were on a Carnival cruise that stopped at Grand Cayman in February. We took the public transportation ($2.50 a person each way) to Cemetery Beach to snorkel. It was my first snorkeling experience, and it was amazing. The beach has shade, it isn't crowded, and the reef is very close to shore. The only downside is there are no bathrooms, or anything really, around. If you want food, etc., you either have a good walk or another bus stop ahead of you. We would definitely go back if we had the chance.

I'm jealous!!!  I want to be planning a cruise!!!

I always think of you when I'm planning a cruise!  We just got back from one, and our next one is in September.  Then we won't have another til 2016, because it's either going to be Alaska or Hawaii, either of which is going to be a lot more expensive than a Caribbean cruise.

Get planning!

I always think of you when I'm planning a cruise!  We just got back from one, and our next one is in September.  Then we won't have another til 2016, because it's either going to be Alaska or Hawaii, either of which is going to be a lot more expensive than a Caribbean cruise.

Get planning!

Awwww.  That makes me happy!!!  We are actually booked on two cruises in the next year, but I think we will cancel both and book another to do some ports we haven't seen yet.  Ds is leaving for college in the fall, so our budget and travel time has been severely restricted!!!

I really want to do AK!!!  The kids definitely don't.  To them, vacation is warm.  They'd do Hawaii though!  But, the flights kill us!!!  

Awwww.  That makes me happy!!!  We are actually booked on two cruises in the next year, but I think we will cancel both and book another to do some ports we haven't seen yet.  Ds is leaving for college in the fall, so our budget and travel time has been severely restricted!!!

I really want to do AK!!!  The kids definitely don't.  To them, vacation is warm.  They'd do Hawaii though!  But, the flights kill us!!!  

DD17 can't go on our September cruise because she'll be in school.  First time ever, and I'm kind of sad about it.  So is she!

I've actually cruised Hawaii before, and it was amazing.  DH has not, and I think he would love it, but we can't take the kids because of the airfare.

I'm thinking if we do Alaska, the cruise is expensive and the excursions are even more so, but the airfare to Seattle isn't bad.  It'll probably be six of one, 1/2 dozen of another.

DD17 can't go on our September cruise because she'll be in school.  First time ever, and I'm kind of sad about it.  So is she!

I've actually cruised Hawaii before, and it was amazing.  DH has not, and I think he would love it, but we can't take the kids because of the airfare.

I'm thinking if we do Alaska, the cruise is expensive and the excursions are even more so, but the airfare to Seattle isn't bad.  It'll probably be six of one, 1/2 dozen of another.

It will be SO hard to plan a trip without one of my kids!  I just can't even imagine.  But, I know it's coming.