Menu

K12 anyone have experience with this for elementary age?

lynn

Are you going through the public school?

Because we did and I wasn't crazy about the limitations that the PS system placed upon us. Testing, set hours, mandatory Class Connect sessions,  it was a headache.

However, I found that the k12 program itself was excellent. The lessons were engaging and they tried to make it fun. It wasn't the kind of online school that you could plunk a kid down in front of and expect them to complete themselves. They did expect the parent to be quite involved, especially at the lower grades (my dd was in 2 when she did it) My older dd (5th) still needed a bit of handholding, but she's not a schooly kid. My very oldest likely could have completed much of the coursework independently at grade 5, but not my #2 kid. I withdrew her at Christmas.

So it kind of depends on the kid. I found the inability to combine classes and having to log hours, etc. cumbersome for having 4 kids at home. For someone with 1-2 kids it might work better.

The consensus seems to be that when people buy K12 on their own, they like it, but when they enroll their dc in a charter school that uses/provides/requires it, they don't, because of all the testing and restrictions that are involved, because it is, after all, public school, so there have to be those requirements.

I've used it both ways, and hands-down, independently is the way to go.  Even if the public school option says they are flexible, they really aren't (ours started off flexible, but by the end of year 2 it was anything but...by year 3 the people we knew who were still using it were done, too).

Courses that I would *ABSOLUTELY* use:  history & art (because it's very much like SOTW, follows much of that sequence for the first 4 years, and the art follows the same time period), and language arts (although the composition is a bit much), the spelling/vocab, literature components are very well done.  Courses that I lean towards using:  Science (I thought it was well organized and well done at the elementary and middle school level).  Courses that I *MIGHT* use:  Music -- I understand the approach, and the kids do learn quite a bit, but wish I could tweak that.  Courses that you couldn't pay me to use:  MATH.  I liked their original Sadlier-Oxford math...I loathe (not a strong enough word) their new computer-based math.  They may have fixed the massive problems with it (but people are still complaining...so I kind of doubt it).  

That's a very quick summary.  (we used LA for grades 1-7, science grades 1-8, math grades 2-8, history grades 1-8, art grades 1-7, music grades 1-6)