Menu

Any of your kids taking the common core field test???

Robin M

The Common Core guinea pig project begins. James officially takes the test today and tomorrow. We have hopefully gotten all the gnashing of teeth, hair pulling, swearing at the computer, angst out of the way with the practice tests. This is a field test in every sense of the word and we will be providing feed back on what works and what doesn't work. My 2 cents from all the practice tests - its glitchy, poorly written, any answer will work. In other words, designed for failure. Both on the students part and the powers that be. Telling James not to stress out too much about it because we won't be getting any results. Which is pretty stupid because I can see lots of kids doing the bare minimum to just get by.

Well, our test proctor just left to go back to the office and try to figure out why he couldn't access the program.  He spent a good hour on the phone and could access everything except the test. Oy!  Good thing he discovered the problem with us and not the group of 30 kids he's supposed to proctor later.

My two littles are beta testing the CAASPP today and tomorrow.  Each student worked on a Chromebook with earphones.  We did a few of the practice tests just for them to be familiar with the format.  I didn't want them to be freaked out by the computers and the language they use.  "Be sure to use masking..."  both kids said it was kind of dumb but not as hard as the test they took last year.  We will never know how they did as they are just guinea pigs for the format.  On the plus side it is only 2 half days now instead of 2 full days and sometimes one additional half day.

Our group of charter schools has been running the test at different locations in the area for over a month now.  Our assigned location was the last date the kids could take it.  It worked out for the best because it gave the facilitators time to work out the equipment bugs.  At the first testing site there was some kind of problem that lead to the test being delayed for more than an hour.

Amber in SJ

We were told a couple weeks ago that it would be either English or math but not both and that it would be at a local library. Well, today I got an email telling me that I am supposed to drive 45 minutes one way on 3 consecutive afternoons to have DD take it. I emailed back our charter teacher to inform her that I wasn't going to have DD miss her music lesson for the field test on one of those days.

Several kids in DD's class had tech troubles while taking the tests--program crashes, etc. She said she and some other students had to retake part of the test (a few questions) because the system didn't record their answers. And that was after a delay of several days because someone shut down the state's test system with a DDOS attack!

We were told a couple weeks ago that it would be either English or math but not both and that it would be at a local library. Well, today I got an email telling me that I am supposed to drive 45 minutes one way on 3 consecutive afternoons to have DD take it. I emailed back our charter teacher to inform her that I wasn't going to have DD miss her music lesson for the field test on one of those days.

We are doing the same thing only I have to do it for two kids on separate days! Friday, Monday, Tuesday then Thursday Friday Monday. What a waste of time!

my 10th grader is taking just the English starting tomorrow, she is at an arts charter school.  My two youngers will be doing it in a few weeks, they are with home-based charters.  One of the charters gave us a chrome book to use for the test.  I'm not sure yet which tests my youngers will take, the info on that keeps changing.

My older boy took the test today for LA and Math.  It was suppose to take 3hrs but he finished in 1hr :P  We drop him off at the test center, tour the model units for new townhomes near the test center and then had to go back and pick him up.  No technical glitches at his test site and he thinks the new test is as boring as the bubble tests.

My DD is going to be taking Math and L.A.

I haven't looked at the practice tests yet and I'm not going to have her do them.

I would definitely have her at least do the math training test. There are several weird format things that I'm sure she would feel better about knowing in advanced rather than figuring out there.

We did our testing this week. I told my baseball guy just to think of it as a scrimmage. Things went smoothly. I actually like the math performance tests. As for the rest of it, the formatting and tools are confusing at first. Once again, no matter what the test is, there will always be a need to teach to it!

The testing site is 5m away from my house, so that totally worked out. I would have hated to drive 4 days in a row.

The fun surprise for my kids was that they each got $15 in gift cards for participating.