Menu

IEW or ??? for 3rd grader

Doodlebug

My son, 8, will be a 3rd grader next year.  Our LA program this year consisted of AAS(3), WWE (2), and FLL (2). 

We loved FLL and AAS.  While my son loved the literature selections and the simplicity of WWE, the redundancy of oral quizzing, dictating, etc became an obstacle.  

Now, at the end of our 2nd year with WWE, I know DS can narrate and dictate but I don't have a clear understanding of how another year of narrating/dictating is going to connect the dots toward writing a paragraph.  My understanding is that WWE 3 is more of the same.  Is that right?

A positive I can see with WWE is that it would give us some developmental time--DS can narrate.  DS can dictate.  But put those two together as one fluid process, and something disconnects.  Time to grow and settle down while learning to memorize/dictate and communicate the point of a passage is indeed valuable.  

Sorry-- to the point --I'm looking for a writing program that won't nail my son to the wall in the area he struggles (thoughts to paper), but one that does ask him to stretch in that direction.  IEW's Student Writing Intensive (A) or All Things Fun and Fascinating are my only other ideas right now.  Because my writing education was poor, IEW appeals to me.  But I'm open to other suggestions!  In fact, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Stella   

If you like WWE but are unsure how it connects the dots toward writing, I suggest listening to this audio download ($3.99 but worth the price, imo) in which the author explains her vision for elementary writing and how to implement it:  A Plan for Teaching Writing Elementary Grades

Personally I have used both WWE and IEW, but I don't start IEW until middle school.  When I began IEW with my older boy I also tried it with my younger (3rd grade at the time), but he just wasn't there yet.  IMO, unless a kid is going back to a traditional school model in the elementary or early middle school years years, I don't see any reason to rush the thoughts to paper process.

But SWB's lectures on the writing process are really helpful regardless.

Thank you so much. I've started listening to the talk, and it's so helpful.

I also called IEW to get the scoop on their two offerings for third grade, and both sound like too much for us right now. Moving to Saxon 54 next year AND an intense writing program would be... Ugly . :)

I think we might just stick it out with WWE 3.

Many thanks!

Stella

There have been lots of threads about Classical Academic Press' Writing and Rhetoric series recently.

The first book is Fable and there is a sample on the website. We have enjoyed it as a break from WWE.

I agree - take a look at the Fable book. I used it with my 3rd grade dd this year and it is by far my favorite elementary writing curriculum.  I've used WWE and IEW with my older dc, but I SO wish the CAP program had been around for them.  It takes the positive aspects of those programs and combines them with creative, fun exercises to build a very solid foundation for writing.  Love it!!!  

I agree - take a look at the Fable book. I used it with my 3rd grade dd this year and it is by far my favorite elementary writing curriculum. I've used WWE and IEW with my older dc, but I SO wish the CAP program had been around for them. It takes the positive aspects of those programs and combines them with creative, fun exercises to build a very solid foundation for writing. Love it!!!

Thanks to both of these recommendations. I've seen the Fable book mentioned but had no idea it was for my son's age. Off to read about it!

Stella

My son is just finishing 3rd grade; he was 8 the majority of the year. We did IEW's All Things Fun & Fascinating. It was wonderful. I would say of everything we did, I felt like we accomplished the most with our writing. Do you have any way to watch the IEW Teaching Writing with Style and Structure DVDs? It is the parent seminar that will give you a background and equip you to teach the entire program. That being said, ATF&F held my hand all year and was one thing that my son really didn't mind. Of course, he never really loves the days when he has to copy out the long paragraph(s), but every other aspect of it is so simple. The keyword outlines made all the difference. We use that in everything - science, history, biographical sketches, book reports - it has made teaching my son writing so easy. It did take up a good chunk of time in our weeks, but I think it was worth it.  FWIW, we also use FLL, WWE, and then we use SWR for spelling, which is similar to AAS.

We used wwe3 and IEWs SWI A this year with my third graders.it worked very well. We do one lesson a week in WWE3, and spread the SWI A out over 33 weeks instead of doing it in fifteen. I loved the SWI since he taught directly to the students and gave the assignments and lots of examples and encouragement. We are moving into SICC a for fourth grade, and likely will not do WWE 4.

Both programs taught valuable, but different skills. Their confidence in writing soared with IEW, as did their attitude towards it.

We have done half of ATFF this year for 3rd grade. My daughter absolutely loves it. We have taken it nice and slow and will finish the second half in fourth grade. We have used IEW in conjunction with AAS, WWE, and FLL. I was able to borrow the teacher videos from a friend and then I only had to buy ATFF.