Menu

Going Straight from TT6 to TT Pre-Algebra

Hi there,

I have an almost 14 yr old DD. She has struggled with math in the past but for the last 2 yrs has been doing well with TT. Although she could go into 9th grade next year, we decided to hold her back so she will be going into 8th grade. She will be finishing TT6 this year.

My question is about what to do for next year. Here in NC high schoolers must take 4 years of math in order to get into a state college. That needs to include Alg. 1 & 2, Geometry, and an additional advanced math for which Alg. 2 is a pre-requisite. That means we must get through pre-algebra next year. I am wondering if I can skip TT7 and have her go straight into TT pre-algebra so that she will be on track for HS. Has anyone done this? And if so what has been your experience?

Thanks!

Jennifer

I have no comment on your specific question. I would be reluctant to skip anything with a struggler, even when behind. However, I would continue math through summers, in which case it should be quite easy (logistically) to get on track for the high school sequence.

(FWIW, for a college-bound student to be behind two grade levels for age in middle school math would be a red flag IMO to consider whether there might be potential learning issues holding her back, such as developmental vision issues, for example.)

oh and you could take the TT pre algebra pre-test and see how she does.  Or, you could have her do several lessons per day so she gets Math 7 and Pre A completed through summer and into next year and even the next summer.  IMO more practice and explanation will only help her when she gets to Algebra.

DS just started TT7 coming from finishing MM5.  He needs a change of pace with some spiral and needs to find enjoyment in math so we are giving it a try.  The first many lessons are very easy.  He did 3 or 4 lessons today LOL.

(FWIW, for a college-bound student to be behind two grade levels for age in middle school math would be a red flag IMO to consider whether there might be potential learning issues holding her back, such as developmental vision issues, for example.)

Yes, I was very worried and did have her tested at the public school and she does have a math learning disability. I was able to ask them what her IEP would be and it was just outside math tutoring. She is way beyond grade level in all other subjects and has received a grade level equivalent of 10th grade or higher on all other subjects on her standardized testing. It's just that our state has a very strong math requirement.

If she struggles I would not skip it. Could you "fast track" her, like work 6 days a week and get through TT7 and TT pre alg before she begins 9th grade? Or work though this summer and next.

Yes, that's a possibility. It would probably be best for her but it is such a struggle to even get her to do math that I cringe at not having a break :)

I agree with taking the test first.  If she doesn't do well, you might want to think about doubling up math lessons and even doing them over the summer to get through TT7 and then straight into TT Pre-Algebra.  We skipped TT6 this year and went straight to TT7, because Indy whipped through TT5, and I didn't think TT6 would challenge him.  He tested in the range that would be fine for him to move into TT7, and it has been a challenge, but TT6 would have just been a time waster IMO.  We'll do TT Pre-Algebra next year (7th grade).  

With my struggler, we have "made up ground" by using the quizzes from the early chapters of TT. Most of those chapters are heavy on review. I allow him to take the quiz only from those beginning chapters with an understanding that he must score 80% or higher. If he scores lower, we dig into that section and do the lessons that cover the problems he struggled with on the quiz. If he scores above 80%, we move right along. It has helped his confidence as well, feeling like he can "skip" things because he already knows it.

I would not skip with a struggling student. I would let her test through chapters (especially review chapters) if she can.

Not having a break might have you cringing, but she will forget a lot less if she doesn't have a break, and it will help her catch up to where she'd be able to get admitted.

Even without doing more than one lesson per day, she ought to be able to do TT7 over the summer and fall and then do pre-algebra over the spring and next summer.