Menu

Over 50s: morning joint aches?

Laura Corin

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does a random joint ache in the morning...

• Every day?
    • Most days?
    • Sometimes?
    • Rarely?
    • Never?
    • Other

Do you wake up each morning with some joint or another aching?  I'm not talking about a specific injury or a consistent problem. Each morning, an ankle, knee or hip will ache until I've 'walked it out' - it's usually a different one each day.  It might ache again later if I sit still for too long.

I'm not carrying excess weight and I am reasonably active (walking the dog; gardening).

L

I voted "other" because mine show up at other times of day.  For example, yesterday the inside of my ankle suddenly hurt as though I had whacked into something, although I HADN'T whacked into anything.  I went about my business and the pain disappeared; I forgot about it until you mentioned it.  Other times my elbow will suddenly hurt, or my wrist, or whatnot.

A few days ago I saw that as a question on a chiropractor's website -- something about fleeting, unexplained pains.  

I voted sometimes. I do have some aches and pains but my back pain which I've had for 17 years (it's not fixable) overshadows any other pain. My knees ache in the morning but that seems to be from having curled up most of the night. Once I get up and moving, and they're not hugging my body, those aches go away. The same goes for my elbow, which is often curled up under my pillow. It too works itself out once I'm up and moving.

Not random, though: the chronic aches are always my fingers and wrists.  Other aches are always quite identifiable: lower back after hauling heavy bags around the garden; back calves after working out on a new machine at the gym, etc.  (Generally fit, reasonably active.)

I was wondering about going back to yoga.

L

I have three 50+ friends who all feel that committing to yoga has transformed their experience, health- and attitude-wise. 

I believe them.  I respect them.  Evidently though I have commitment problems.

Just after ds was born I had this with my feet and ankles. It went on for a few months. Each morning the first thing I'd do was to sit in a comfy chair with my feet and ankles in a whirlpool bath. It was one of those portable foot spa things. It was heaven for my aching joints. Gradually the pain went away over the course of a few months. I assumed it was hormone related.

OP make sure you're getting adequate water as lack of that can cause joints to ache. My right wrist and lower back become painful if my fluid intake is low, particularly my wrist. Also daily fish oil might help.

ETA : I just saw the "over 50" part of the title and I definitely wasn't anywhere close to 50 when ds was born. So take my advice with that in mind.

I have three 50+ friends who all feel that committing to yoga has transformed their experience, health- and attitude-wise. 

I believe them.  I respect them.  Evidently though I have commitment problems.

Yoga does make me feel better. Apparently it makes me look better too because when I started doing it regularly people were asking if I lost weight, did something with my hair, etc. Nope. The only difference was yoga.

I do have to be careful with it because some positions can actually aggravate my back condition, but it really does make a difference.

I voted most days.  I'm 51 and in the past couple of years have developed a bit of arthritis in my fingers.  My right ankle has been sprained more times than I can recall, so that's an ongoing source of achiness and stiffness.  And I've had trouble with my SI joint since my first pregnancy, and that frequently makes my lower back stiff in the mornings.

I agree yoga is amazing.  I need to get back to doing it consistently.

No, I don't have that problem but I do have a problem with my right knee if I overdo it.  I can walk (over 2 hilly miles), do light exercise, yoga, garden and pick up after my dog, but if I do any of these things for too long, I have trouble going up a flight of stairs.  My knee doesn't hurt, but it feels like it's going to give out/buckle under me when going up the stairs. So then I have to go up the stairs leading with my left leg.

I'm over 50 and when my feet hit the floor first thing in the morning they just don't feel good until I walk a bit. I think it has more to do with standing on a tile floor or concrete floor all day and less to do with age. Otherwise all the joints are A-OK.

I'm 53, and I voted everyday.  Ankle, knee, hip, elbow, shoulder.  They all take turns.  Usually once I'm moving, I don't notice it.  Except for my hands, especially my left thumb right now.  I'm working on cutting out all sugar and doing pretty well with that.  I've cut way down on grains, also.  I can't say I've noticed any big difference though.

Yup, everyday.  But it's not random, it's in my finger joints.  And the doctor can't even blame it on my fat butt (which of course, they try to blame everything on) because I don't walk on my hands.  :laugh:  No other aches or pains, though, which I attribute to genetic luck and walking everyday.

i'm 55 now.... every day the hips and one elbow hurts.  other joints take turns joining in ;)

now that i've broken my knee cap, they promise me it will join in most days, too.

sigh....

but i have started on the exercises in this book:

pain free for women, by pete egoscue.

reviews are good, so we'll see how it goes.  obvious i am only doing upper body exercises right now....

and i find daily kale and banana help the hips a lot....

ann