Menu

How do you use Mathletics

EngOZ

I have been afterschooling dd in maths. About 2 weeks ago, I signed dd up for Mathletics, as a supplementary program to go along with SM which we've been doing together. DD really enjoys the program, and I especially like how she is motivated by it.

Can you give some suggestions for using Mathletics? There doesn't seem to be much info on the main website, and I feel like I'm not using it to it's full potential.

We use it for review, a grade level behind. DD has a minimum requirement of 1000 points a week, of which at least half has to come from gold bars. Gold bars can be repeated for points, and I want DD to repeat the gold bars until she's confident in them (that is, if she gets the question right, but is nervous at selecting her answer, that's a sign she's not ready to move on). She's gotten four gold certificates so far, and improved her speed on mental math. She finds competing against other children from around the world very motivational. There are a lot of print materials that you can use as well, especially for lower grade levels.

Next year, the World Education Games and Regional math challenges (usually one per continent) will be back, and they use the Mathletics engine as well. If you have a subscription, your daughter will automatically have a log in for ones that she's eligible for.

Thanks dmmetler, would you recommend that I switch over to Singapore standards on mathletics as I'm using Singapore maths for our math program?

I'm finding that the current level dd on is quite simple enough for her, and I always asign "something harder".

p.s we live in Australia.

I used Singapore standards until this year. I switched to Common Core because DD has to take grade level tests and that way she's getting the topics in common core that will be tested, since we use a math program that's not aligned with common core otherwise.

If your DD is accelerated (or even if she's on grade level in SM, but is still on other standards in Mathletics) she probably needs to bump up a level in Mathletics-the "Something harder" is usually from the next level up.Mathletics defaults to placing your child at the level typical of their year group and the local standards for whatever country you're registered in, and that sometimes isn't the right placement. We also had a problem earlier this year when they redid the website and everyone got reset to default-DD ended up going in and commenting "Something's wrong-it's too easy". It turned out she had been reset to her age-grade, which was three levels below where she'd been working. Yeah, that was a bit easy for her at this point. You can reset 4x/yr. I've never needed more than that, but I'd imagine they'd authorize it as long as it's obvious the reason you're changing levels is that your child is not on the right one for her-what they don't want is a parent using the program for multiple kids by changing the levels back and forth.