Menu

I need a chemistry textbook suggestion for ME.

I won't be doing chemistry with my daughter for another year. But I want to get a head start on it, because I've never taken a chem class. I have a good understanding of math and I've read some about chemistry. It would be good if the text were something I could also use with her when the time comes. She is also good at math, but science is not her favorite thing.

TIA!

Dd went back and forth between Zumdahl and Brown.  They are both college texts, but some explanations were clearer in one than the other.

The main difference between the college texts and the high school texts is reading level. In the high school texts, the efforts to simplify the reading level made some of the explanations leaps of faith. When dd(2) did chemistry, with a high school text, we were forever going back to Zumdahl or Brown.

Used copies of both are cheap.

I recently decided to use this for next year, An Introduction to Chemistry. There are pdfs and helps on the website, including lectures. You can buy print copies or use the online versions. He asks for a $20 donation if you decide to use his materials. 

It's a college level text. I've perused the text and the reading is straightforward and doesn't seem to be as a dense as some of the other chem texts I have. I

Dd went back and forth between Zumdahl and Brown.  They are both college texts, but some explanations were clearer in one than the other.

The main difference between the college texts and the high school texts is reading level. In the high school texts, the efforts to simplify the reading level made some of the explanations leaps of faith. When dd(2) did chemistry, with a high school text, we were forever going back to Zumdahl or Brown.

Used copies of both are cheap.

Yes! to the bold statement above. The Zumdahl Introductory text is very good and we use it when we need a different perspective than our Chang's General Chemistry text offers. I like them both and use them for myself as well as my son.

I have Zumdahl's World of Chemistry which I have found useful.  I use this one because I have a teacher's edition.  I am not sure how different it is from the "Introductory" text the others have mentioned, but I have found it very useful when I hit a wall.

Also, (please everyone - do not laugh) but I have also found Barron's Painless Chemistry and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chemistry to help A LOT when I needed a quick, easy explanation. Amazingly, the Idiot's Guide did more to help me with understanding the math than the Zumdahl teacher's text did.

I have Zumdahl's World of Chemistry which I have found useful.  I use this one because I have a teacher's edition.  I am not sure how different it is from the "Introductory" text the others have mentioned, but I have found it very useful when I hit a wall.

Also, (please everyone - do not laugh) but I have also found Barron's Painless Chemistry and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chemistry to help A LOT when I needed a quick, easy explanation. Amazingly, the Idiot's Guide did more to help me with understanding the math than the Zumdahl teacher's text did.

No laughing - I promise. :)  I haven't seen the Idiot's Guide for chem but I have looked at others in the series and the ones I've seen are great.  They explain things simply without a lot of fuss and extras.  Now I'm curious to check out the chem one. :)

I recently decided to use this for next year, An Introduction to Chemistry. There are pdfs and helps on the website, including lectures. You can buy print copies or use the online versions. He asks for a $20 donation if you decide to use his materials. 

It's a college level text. I've perused the text and the reading is straightforward and doesn't seem to be as a dense as some of the other chem texts I have. I

This might solve my chemistry dilemma.

Thanks!