Menu

Skipping Teaching Textbooks 7 and going straight to Pre-Algebra

I've been reading on some different sites where there is a lot of overlap between the two. Some background on both my boys-they are 13 and are working on TT 6. We've worked through TT4, 5, and now 6. They struggled for years academically due to some health issues but they are getting caught up and are all of a sudden hung up on grade level. (I posted on a prev thread today). Anyway, I considered having them work through both levels in a year, by doubling up on some lessons and maybe working on math 6 days a week, but now I'm starting to wonder if we could skip 7 and move on to Pre-Algebra. Math is not their favorite subject and they need lots of repetition, but at the same time, they have expressed that I may be underestimating them. I sure wish their grades reflected that. :glare: So, wwyd- move through both? Or give it a try and move on to pre-algebra?

How about taking the placement test for math 7 and Pre-A? Find out what pieces are missing in thier knowledge. My daughter is doing math 7 now but I wanted her to be super strong in fractions so she did books 1-4 of Key to Fractions. Great slam dunk and I let her skip ch 6 in math 7 by just taking the test. I like the word problems of TT so I'll scan the next chapter and possibly do the same thing. I'll have her do done word problems to show that she's got it.

If they are weak in just part of the Pre-A placement test, find some online stuff for free to strengthen it then take the test again next week.

Michelle

I wouldn't do that with struggling old-for-grade students. I think it would be overwhelming when they're just starting to do ok. The repetition is there because *most* students *need* that repetition.

If they're hung up on grade level, I would put the onus on them -- they need to be working on math every day and year-round in order to catch up.

I *would* promise them that if they can finish math 7 with acceptable grades by the end of the summer you'll register them in 8th grade for the fall, or if they finish pre-algebra by the end of *next* year you'll move them into 9th grade. I'd also lay out how that needs to happen.

I'd also let them test out of any chapters they think they already know the material for -- but if they don't pass the test on the first try, they need to go through the chapter.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. We school year round anyway, so they agreed to buckle down and do math 6 days a week so they can complete TT 7 and TT Pre-Algebra and be ready for Algebra in 9th. They seem motivated, but I do want to keep an open mind and reminded them that if it was too much, we would have to slow down.

My DS did Math 6 in the 4th grade, and after dabbling in Math Mammoth 6 for a little while, I moved him to TT Pre-Algebra for his 5th grade year.

I really thought that Math 7 looked liked it had too much repetition, so we skipped it. So far, the Pre-Algebra has been going... okay. He's struggled a bit more than I expected. If I had to do it over again, I would probably do the Math 7, followed by a more rigorous Pre-Algebra. I think that we will work through TT Pre-Algebra a bit more (won't finish), and will go ahead and switch to Dolciani Pre-Algebra in the fall.

I always thought that a spiral program was best for my son, but I've been seeing some of the drawbacks of that at the Pre-Algebra level. I think that at this point, I'd rather be able to work on a concept until he really gets it, instead of moving forward just a little bit and reviewing so much every day.