Menu

Dropping latin for French?

My ds is 9 and we started GSWL this year and are progressing nicely through it; however he is tired of it. I am trying to decide if we should continue with Latin or drop it. I want to start French in the fall. My DH is a native speaker but never taught our dc. I am assuming they will get the benefit of learning a language from French just as much as they would Latin. If we do drop Latin, I will want to do a Greek Latin roots curriculum. Indie one in high school and It was by far the only the beneficial subject to my HS education. WDYT?

If you have a native French speaker in family, it seems a shame not to take advantage of that!

We have done classical roots work, but otherwise not Latin, even though I took it in school for awhile. My own feeling, having taken Latin, is that Spanish would have been far more useful...though not as "classical."  My son chose his own living language--avoiding Spanish!, from the choice on Duolingo.  He chose German. It has certainly been helpful in terms of understanding grammar and so on. It does not have as much in the way of declensions and so on, but certainly has enough of its own complexity. You could do both Latin and French, I suppose, if there is time in your schedule. Personally, if choosing just one, I'd go with the French.

We do Latin and really enjoy it. But if I had a native speaker in the home, that would be my first priority as a language. That seems too good to pass up. My grandmother was French and although my Mom speaks better than she will admit, I never really was taught and regret that. My dh's parents spoke Cantonese but didn't teach the kids although they spoke it in the home. I think he also regrets that lost opportunity. 

My daughter has been doing conversational French for 4 years now and has just moved to a more formal French program with grammar (she has a private tutor for that).  We just started Latin this year also and it is the priority in our homeschool, and we are both very much enjoying it and it's also going well.  Any reason you don't want to do both at once?