Menu

Grade level question

My special needs boys just turned 13 in March. They are working on Core F and TT 6, as well as the other curriculum listed in my siggy. They should be in the 7th grade, but they really struggled for the first several years, so I consider them to be in the 6th grade this year. It was never a big deal. They have worked really hard and although they still struggle in math, they have really improved in all other subject areas. They never really participated in sports or extracurricular activities due to their health issues but now that the health issues have improved dramatically, they are finally getting involved in youth group and hope to get involved in other activities, where grade level may or may not come up. I am getting questions from them as to why so and so is 12 and in the 7th grade, etc. I don't want to make an issue of it, but at this point, its becoming an issue for them.

One of the boys is looking at curriculum catalogs (yes, he does that) and has pointed out to me that me that since we plan on working on Core W next year and IEW Ancients, that "technically" that could be considered 8th grade and shouldn't he be considered 8th grade,except for math. Ugggh! I don't even know how to respond. Any suggestions?

When will they be starting/graduating high school? Go by that for grade placement. If they want to know why, tell them. They were very sick for many years and it caused them to get behind a little. Point out that they have done a fantastic job of catching up. But math, unfortunately, has a huge impact on grade placement. It also dictates what sciences can be taken. Be prepared for them to decide they want to focus on math and see if they can't catch up there too. It is very possible that they can. (Unless there is a ld issue that would prevent it.) They may be willing to work summers/weekends to make up that math level. Doubling up lessons per day is another possibility, especially in the summer if you usually take off. If they are willing to put in the extra time and effort, are you willing to let them do it? What will you do if one were to succeed in pushing forward, but the other did not? (Just complicating your life here...)

Me, I would probably encourage them to focus heavily on math over the summer and move them on up a grade if you feel they can succeed in that grade level. It sounds to me like they probably can. After all, they ARE working above grade level in everything but math. (wanting to insert a smilie here, but afraid it might be taken wrong with internet tone and all...) I think it could be a real boon to their confidence levels.

My special needs boys just turned 13 in March. They are working on Core F and TT 6, as well as the other curriculum listed in my siggy. They should be in the 7th grade, but they really struggled for the first several years, so I consider them to be in the 6th grade this year. It was never a big deal. They have worked really hard and although they still struggle in math, they have really improved in all other subject areas. They never really participated in sports or extracurricular activities due to their health issues but now that the health issues have improved dramatically, they are finally getting involved in youth group and hope to get involved in other activities, where grade level may or may not come up. I am getting questions from them as to why so and so is 12 and in the 7th grade, etc. I don't want to make an issue of it, but at this point, its becoming an issue for them.

One of the boys is looking at curriculum catalogs (yes, he does that) and has pointed out to me that me that since we plan on working on Core W next year and IEW Ancients, that "technically" that could be considered 8th grade and shouldn't he be considered 8th grade,except for math. Ugggh! I don't even know how to respond. Any suggestions?

Yes. He should be in 8th grade. I would put him there.

And this is why I so strongly recommend that when it's necessary to put a grade-level label on our homeschooled children, it should be based on the grades they would be in if they were in school, according to their states' cut-off date and their birthdays, completely disregarding their maturity or anything else. They should work at their academic ability, of course, but the Official Grade Level should be the one they'd be in if they were in school, even if they have special needs.

I cannot imagine referring to a 13yo child as being "in 6th grade." o_0

And this is why I so strongly recommend that when it's necessary to put a grade-level label on our homeschooled children, it should be based on the grades they would be in if they were in school, according to their states' cut-off date and their birthdays, completely disregarding their maturity or anything else. They should work at their academic ability, of course, but the Official Grade Level should be the one they'd be in if they were in school, even if they have special needs.

:iagree: 

My DS 11 is working at a lower level than his younger sisters - DDs 10.  But he's still a 5th grader and they're in 4th.

Sorry to hijack, but what do you suggest for a child who will graduate a year or two "late"? I think it would be a little harder (or more embarrassing) to explain why you were in 12th grade but not graduating than to explain why you are 18 or 19 and in 12th grade. My 16yo has some special needs/LD's and we held him back in 2nd grade for a year after he completed 2nd at ps. Initially, it was to put off standardized testing for a year, but it seemed like a much better fit so we stuck with it. He's currently a sophomore, and is on track to graduate a month before he turns 19.

So my advice (unless Ellie convinces me otherwise :)), because they're so close to high school, is to work back from graduation, as Lolly suggested. If you think it's possible for them to be ready to graduate at 18, I would seriously consider bumping them up. If there's no way that's going to happen, I wouldn't move them up just to have to repeat a grade later on. Also, give them permission to say "I'm homeschooled, I'm not in a grade" when they're questioned about grade level. My 11yo does it just to seem mysterious. 

Look ahead to high school graduation, map out a path to get there, and use that to determine grade level. Include your kids in this process, they ate old enough to play a role in the decision making process.

Right now most of my kids are on track to graduate high school at almost 19. If they want to graduate sooner and put in the work to do that, fine. If not, I just get to keep them home a little longer.

I'd be reluctant to move a kid up a grade even on paper if he's not going to be doing pre-algebra until 9th and are struggling with that. Are you in a testing state, or not? 

If they don't know what to say to other kids, couldn't something like "I was sick for a long time when I was younger and started school late" or something else be reasonable? With their health issues it seems like that's a totally reasonable explanation. 

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. We had a discussion last night and I stressed to them that although they may consider themselves 8th grade in the fall, their graduation year will be based on mastering what is necessary for graduation. I posted on another thread about the math issue. We school year round anyway, so they agreed to buckle down and do math 6 days a week so they can complete TT 7 and TT Pre-Algebra and be ready for Algebra in 9th. They seem motivated, but I do want to keep an open mind and reminded them that if it was too much, we would have to slow down.