Menu

Scheduling Issues - HELP!

I am having a schedule crisis!!! My first plan was to take off from June 15th to September 15th, except for math 4x a week and daily reading. But that means we have to really hustle in Fall, Winter, and Spring with few breaks....which is nearly impossible because of a couple competitions, an ice show, holidays, ski season, etc.... Our new curriculum (MBtP) comes in 9 week units. Would it be crazy to go 9-10 weeks on, 3-4 weeks off? Starting July 15th, that would give us a small break every season. The only downside with starting July 15th is that there might be a couple 2-3 day camping trips in there...and the kids are committed to ice shows every Saturday with Friday rehearsals....and a 4 day competition the last weekend in July. Sigh. This is HARD as they get older.....they will be 6 and 7. Ugh!

Take a more "year round" approach, and then you can take time off whenever you want/need.  We generally school mid-July to the end of May with about 6 weeks off. We often take a vacation in Aug. or September. We tend to only school half-days on Fridays. We take an extra day off when needed, usually take birthdays off etc...

I never worry about "unit breaks" etc... but just do what works for us. 

When you have children involved in time consuming activities outside of school, the scheduling does get tricky. And, it only gets worse as they get older. My oldest is entering high school next year, and I have finally had to accept that it will likely take her 5 years to finish. She spends 36 hours a week at her ballet school (not counting drive time), so there is no way to take 6 academic classes and still maintain any sanity. She cannot school year round because summer ballet programs run for 8 weeks and are full day.

I think if your children develop a passion and you want to nurture that passion then you have to think creatively about how to integrate schoolwork. The beauty of homeschooling is that we do not all have to have the same school experience. Unless your state mandates a certain amount of time spent on schoolwork, then I think you can streamline their subjects based on your academic goals. It just helps to be clear in your own mind about what those goals are (which is hard to do when they are so young).

I guess I don't have a great suggestion, but I do sympathize!!

My daughter figure skates and it wreaks havoc on our schedule. It's not the competitions that cause trouble for us, just the practices. I love to take advantage of less-crowded ice, but the times interfere with a normal school schedule.

I agree with a pp that you should work on a year round a schedule and take breaks as needed. Even if school doesn't always happen in even 9 week blocks, your breaks won't be long enough that they will forget everything.

quote name="joliet" post="5605807" timestamp="1398201046"]

My daughter figure skates and it wreaks havoc on our schedule. It's not the competitions that cause trouble for us, just the practices. I love to take advantage of less-crowded ice, but the times interfere with a normal school schedule.

I agree with a pp that you should work on a year round a schedule and take breaks as needed. Even if school doesn't always happen in even 9 week blocks, your breaks won't be long enough that they will forget everything.

We do OK with practices now...hit the rink about 1pm and skate until 3pm. BUT they both appear in Sun Valley on Ice all summer and do a few private shows as well. The rehearsal schedule from June to September is rough...and add in private lessons and a couple competitions and OUCH. Then in the Fall they are doing clinics with an Ice Theatre company. I SWORE my kids would never skate. Ever. I did for 2 decades....but they went once and the bug bit them. Hard.