Menu

Zaccaro for Main Math

Amy Jo

Is it possible to use Zaccaro for, say 3rd-6th grade math? Because I love MEP, but I need to face facts - it's not getting done due to time constraints. I would have life math and Miquon before Zaccaro, and then move the kids into Singapore NEM. I also have the Kitchen Table Math books.

Or, if Zaccaro is not enough, what would you add (besides fact drill)?

I think Zaccaro Real World Algebra is great for PreAlgebra, say 6th grade?  Zaccaro Challenge Math would be good for 5th.  I didn't use Primary Challenge - is that 3rd or 4th? It doesn't seem like there are enough books to take you all the way from 3rd-6th, unless I'm missing something.

Would they have enough practice all by themselves, though?  

We are loving the combo of Zaccaro RWA and Jousting Armadillos for PreAlgebra.  Before this, we just used ZCM as a supplement, but this year it is getting top billing.  Shannon really enjoys using it.  She's just added Becoming a Problem Solving Genius to the mix, too, and we did Ten Things . . . this year too.  So we have had a pretty Zaccaro-heavy year, and reallly enjoyed it!

As much as we've enjoyed them, I would definitely not use them as a primary math program. One book won't last a year to start with, and once past the section for a particular concept you won't see it mentioned again.

"If it's not enough" - I'd add a full program to it. We do Zaccaro when someone needs a temporary break from their regular math book, or for summer math. My k-5 students are currently using Horizons and will again next school year, which is not time consuming for me to teach.