Menu

Favorite Bible curriculum for 5-8 year olds?

amyc78

Looking for recommendations for our family Bible time next year. We are about to finish up reading through Egermeier's together. We've also watched all the Whats in the Bible DVDs (which I HIGHLY recommend, my kids love them and the knowledge they've gained from them is amazing).

I've looked briefly at Grapevine Studies, the Jesus Storybook Bible curriculum and character education like Integrity Time and We Choose Virtues. I also liked the simplicity of MFW's Names of God study but I don't think it is available as a stand-alone.

Bible is one subject we always do together, although I would not mind if DS8 had a little 'extra' to do on his own since developing a habit of personal Bible study is a goal we have for him this year. My DD5 is not reading and writing well but she has a good attention span.

Any favorites I should check out?

It's a little less flashy, but we like Covenantal Catechism.  The style of it is similar to our other lessons (read/narrate/answer questions), and the lessons aren't complicated, but still rich enough that I feel like they are learning.

If you haven't done the Jesus Storybook Bible, it's so very good for that age. I found it meaningful myself.

The Telling God's Story curriculum published through a branch of Peace Hill Press really sticks for us. I love the emphasis on Jesus. I think it might be ideal a year older, depending on the child.

I have never been disappointed in any of the materials I've seen from Karyn Henley.