Menu

bathroomm floors for small bathroom

ProudGrandma

if you have a small bathroom, what kind of floor do you have...tile, vinyl, sheet, sticky tiles etc.  Also, what pattern...stone like, basic, plain ? 

We are remodeling our bathroom and we have a piece of vinyl that looks like this

http://IVC Impact Sheet Vinyl Flooring Flagstone Terra 43 - 12' Wide at Menards

and my husband wants to use it instead of buying something new.  (this came out of my kitchen before we remodeled it and the same pattern remains in my laundry room (off the kitchen) and the back stairs to the outside.  Would you use this in your downstairs (often used) bathroom if you were trying to save money?

For some reason I feel like it wouldn't work, but I am not sure if it's because I think of it as a kitchen floor (since that is where is was) or because it really isn't a bathroom floor pattern.  kwim?

what is your opinion??

I kind of like that and think it would do fine in a bathroom.

But I agree that since it's such a small space getting something you really like shouldn't cost much.  And if you're going to be staying there for the foreseeable future, you should have something you really like.

We have sheet vinyl in our bathrooms that's in big squares to resemble tile.  I like it better than the ceramic tile bathrooms we had in our last house because there's no grout to worry about.

We just put down CoreTec planks in our kids' baths in wood-look planks: http://www.usfloorsllc.com/products/coretec-plus/

BIL is our contractor and is crazy about this stuff. It looks great so far, and feels so nice underfoot. It's easy to put down too. If we wind up hating it, we can replace it with tile.

Price out flooring in a pattern you like. A small bathroom has a tiny floor area. It won't go under the tub or vanity, so you really don't need much. See if the price difference is worth you staring at something you don't like everyday. :)

Looks almost exactly like the sheet vinyl in my downstairs bathroom!  This is our high-traffic bathroom and the vinyl has shown no wear at all in almost 10 years.  Wonderful stuff.  Easy colors to coordinate - the shower and sink are cream, toilet white, and cabinets are light oak (cheap).  I use copper things on the wall to decorate and bright towels (think purple and orange)

We have Tarkett in a similar pattern, and it looks great. It's a leftover piece from my parents' bathroom. We also have Tarkett in our laundry room, and we plan to put it in the kitchen area. I love it. I do not like floor tile--it might be okay in a warm climate, but I would never be able to feel warm up north (grew up in a house with heated floors).

Personally, I don't love vinyl sheet flooring in a bathroom, and I think it hurts your resale value. And that particular pattern is quite taste-specific. I agree with you that it has a kitchen vibe. It also looks outdated to me, which is probably a silly thing to say because you're buying it brand new. :)

My favorite bathroom has 12" x 24" tiles on the floor. It's very dramatic and the tile was super-pricey per square foot, but the total cost of the tile was still very low because it's not a big room. It cost a lot more to have it installed than it cost for the materials, but if you do it yourself, you can get a very high end look for a bargain price.