Menu

Cleaning the inside of a fridge

DawnM

I will keep this in mind, but I need this one NOW.

I am having a party in about a week and need to get this cleaned out now.  I had no idea it was this bad!

Well, my whole house is worse than I thought.......heavy sigh.

Dawn

I infuse vinegar with citrus peels. (peels in a jar.. top off with vinegar. Let sit for a cpl wks..) Add it to a spray bottle and top it off with water. Sometimes I'll add a few drops of essential oil. That's our 'clean anything' spray. :)

Guest elowyn

For the walls/floor I just use formula 409 and plenty of paper towels.  I remove the drawers to wash in the sink with dish soap and hot water.  Works perfectly! 

The fridge smells of 409 for a few days, so I wouldn't want to put in an uncovered buttercream cake or something, but for usual foods it's fine.

I do normally take out everything, including drawers and shelves.

It just has been difficult to get everything off the sides without spending a lot of time scrubbing in the cold.

Guess this wouldn't be such an issue if I kept my fridge clean on a regular basis instead of once a year or two....... :laugh:

For the walls/floor I just use formula 409 and plenty of paper towels.  I remove the drawers to wash in the sink with dish soap and hot water.  Works perfectly! 

The fridge smells of 409 for a few days, so I wouldn't want to put in an uncovered buttercream cake or something, but for usual foods it's fine.

My problem area is the walls.   Don't know how long I care to stand there with a hot rag.  I can do it with the floors.

Dawn

Hot water is key. You can also let a hot wet towel loosen up any big spill areas for a while before cleaning it.

Just hot water and Dawn. If you're overwhelmed, do one shelf and walk away. If there is gunk on the shelf, put a soapy, sopping cloth on it, shut the door, and come back later. If it's so full you can't work, clear one shelf completely, put the good food in a large cooler, toss the bad, scrub/soak that shelf (if the shelf or glass comes out, remove it and clean in the sink or tub to make your life easier) and repeat until everything is clean. Check expiration dates and toss mercilessly. Get rid of that 1/3 bottle of BBQ sauce in the interest of space because this is an emergency!

Can you tell which chore I routinely put off too long?

Every week I wipe it down with a hot soapy dishcloth .  Dry it and change the baking soda box once a month.   If you get stuff on the sides just take a magic eraser and wipe it down and then go over it with hot dishcloth  and it should be nice and clean. 

Just hot water and Dawn. If you're overwhelmed, do one shelf and walk away. If there is gunk on the shelf, put a soapy, sopping cloth on it, shut the door, and come back later. If it's so full you can't work, clear one shelf completely, put the good food in a large cooler, toss the bad, scrub/soak that shelf (if the shelf or glass comes out, remove it and clean in the sink or tub to make your life easier) and repeat until everything is clean. Check expiration dates and toss mercilessly. Get rid of that 1/3 bottle of BBQ sauce in the interest of space because this is an emergency!

Can you tell which chore I routinely put off too long?

I agree.

I also clean the frig one shelf at a time. Sometimes that means a couple shelves a day, sometimes just one a day.

I take out everything that can be taken out, like drawers and shelves and clean them with warm soapy water. I use dishwashing liquid, it's the most powerful cleaning solution. Then I use Mr Clean magic eraser for walls and whatever else is left. Just soak it in water, wring it so there is almost no water left and go at it. So far nothing has resisted it in my fridge. It's also a faster solution and I am very motivated to finish fast, because my fridge makes an incredibly annoying noise, when it is left open too long.

Oh, if you go the magic eraser way, just buy the regular one. The kitchen specific/Dawn one has a wonderful smell, but it wilts so fast, it is not efficient for larger surfaces like the fridge walls. 

Good luck :)

It is amazing how quickly the fridge gets gross.  I clean mine about every other month or so, and it's just crazy.  I organize it too, so I like that, but it doesn't stay that way for long.  :(  I take all the drawers and shelves out and wash them in the sink with just soap and water.  I spray the inside with vinegar mixed with either lemon or orange essential oil (or use oil infused vinegar when I have some ready), and wipe it out.  The vinegar also works well in the freezer.

Well, I didn't say mine was sanitary!  :lol:

I do take out bad food as soon as I see it, etc.... but the sides and back wall are often stained.

Dawn

Wish I could wait that long. Every 3 weeks is pushing it here. After that it would no longer be sanitary

The cleanest my fridge has ever been was after a pickle jar managed to get itself broken while it was being put back in. Pickle juice everywhere. But, it really made the fridge sparkle. I just wiped it out with hot water and a dish rag. It didn't even have that pickle stink when I was finished. Guessing it is pretty much like cleaning with vinegar, but it worked even better.

It is amazing how quickly the fridge gets gross.  I clean mine about every other month or so, and it's just crazy.  I organize it too, so I like that, but it doesn't stay that way for long.  :(  I take all the drawers and shelves out and wash them in the sink with just soap and water.  I spray the inside with vinegar mixed with either lemon or orange essential oil (or use oil infused vinegar when I have some ready), and wipe it out.  The vinegar also works well in the freezer.

We're supposed to clean out the freezer??? Crap.