Menu

Does anyone know of any good (free!) career interest and/or aptitude tests?

Alte Veste Academy

Canadian based but completely awesome is alis.alberta.ca  If you go to the site and then click on planning your career and then on careerinsite, there is a bunch of quizes.  Start with the ones listed under "Know Yourself" and take it from there.  This site was used extensively during oldest son's career counselling and it is the one I will be using with dd14.  When you take the quizzes they will link you to careers that may interest you based on your responses, from there you can go to OCCinfo and look up more information about specific careers.  

• 3 weeks later...

I use www.cacareerzone.org when I teach my career exploration class. it's really good! Assessments are under the "explore" tab and the results link to career information. 

Can you share more info on how you do your class? I'm interested in putting something together for my son or maybe even our homeschool group.

Can you share more info on how you do your class? I'm interested in putting something together for my son or maybe even our homeschool group.

I use the book What Color is Your Parachute? for Teens. Because it is a career class and not a college prep class, I only cover the chapters that pertain to finding a career or interest. This allows me to break the work into bite sized chunks for the homework avoiders! But seriously, I feel strongly that discussions of college are premature until the student has at least a vague idea of what they want to do, job wise. So, each week they read a section of the book (not a whole chapter) and do the discovery exercises in that section. I find the assessment on the cacareerzone.com site that matches the section they have read and have them complete that as well. They also complete two career survey forms on careers that come up under their assessment results each week. I add some resources as we go as well - the University of Missouri has some excellent online brochures on various job search topics that I make use of. Additionally, we cover youth labor laws (their assignment over their spring break is to look for a job). I use information that my state has online as a resource. It is a 13 week class. 

I also have optional reading assignments and an interview assignment to beef it up a little bit for students who want to earn credit.

Books on the list are: 

Life on the Edge by Dobson

Outliers by Gladwell

The Rise of the Creative Class by Florida

Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work by Crawford

Zero to Maker by Lang

Kisses from Katie by Davis & Clark

Failure is Not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Kranz

Rising to the Call by Guinness

So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work you Love by Newport

The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People by Eikleberry

The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success by Andrews

Go To: The Story of the Math Majors, Bridge Players, Engineers, Chess Wizards, Maverick Scientists, and Iconoclasts -- The Programmers Who Created the Software Revolution by Lohr

Leaving Microsoft to Change the World: An Entrepreneur's Odyssey to Educate the World's Children by Wood

The Complete Guide to the Gap Year: The Best Things to Do Between High School and College by White

300 Best Jobs Without a Four Year Degree by Farr and Shatkin

The Noticer: Sometimes All a Person Needs is a Little Perspective by Andrews

The Dream Giver by Wilkinson