Menu

The Creative Writer for fine art credit?

My son loves to write creatively, but I have a heck of a time getting him to write anything else.  (He actually writes stories for fun, but it's pulling teeth getting him to do homework.) We were given a copy of The Creative Writer, and I was thinking of using it for elective credit for him, but not sure where.  Can it be considered a Fine Arts credit?

Any other programs out there for creative writing that will satisfy that passion for him? I really like that the CW is broken down weekly.  Something with a schedule is a must.

No, it's not fine arts.  We used it as part of our English credit for the year.  

One thing you can do is keep track of those hours and then combine them with other things he does over time to make a unit.  So for instance he might do 30 hours worth this year and 30 hours next year, combining for a nice 1/2 unit total of Creative Writing that you put on the transcript.  That's a perfectly acceptable way of getting there.

Btw, my dd was a reluctant writer for years, and finally in 7th/8th she came alive with fan fiction and creative stuff.  What's working for us is alternating the WWS series with CW and other genres of writing.  This year she did WWS2 and a couple of the Creative Writer books.  For next year I think we're doing WWS3 and a food writing text I found.  

WWS is not necessarily the most fun, which makes it counter-intuitive that it would work for a very creative, reluctant writer.  The *structure* though is why we're able to get it to work and in fact why, after going through two volumes, I'm realizing it was good for us.  SWB puts all the materials, everything there, and gives it so much structure that if they're just willing to do the work they can.  I have my dd use Inspiration software to mind map her work in WWS instead of outlining.  It has actually worked out MUCH better than I could have ever hoped.  SWB has them going into multiple sources, taking notes, learning how to cull those notes, and then learning how to transfer it to structure (which we use Inspiration to create).  AWESOME.  

For her then the creativity shows up with needing a purpose, an audience, a context for the writing.  Since structure and organized writing has many uses, I'll just tell her things like pretend you're a tour guide leading people around Joan of Arc sites, channel Donald Trump and pretend you're giving all the reasons why you're firing someone, etc.  It's actually HILARIOUS to watch what she comes up with.  She had to do some insanely boring task a couple weeks ago in WWS2.  I can't remember what it was, but watching grass grow would have been more fun.  She ended up turning the entire structure into a spoof blog post where Sherlock (of the BBC tv series) takes over Watson's blog one day and starts posting about bees.  (I think WWS2 had all the sources on bees?).  It was HILARIOUS, filled with content, demonstrated the structure and analysis, but it was CREATIVE.  And it had VOICE.  It wasn't some insipid piece of writing no one would care about.  I'm not sure why people think structure and context are so devoid of each other.  With our kids they just have to turn it on and CREATE the context.

So for us, we got it to work, and I'm at the point where I can recommend the WWS sequence if someone has the fortitude and imagination to stick with it.  We've gotten it to work and found it profitable, and we're very unlikely clientele to be successful, to say the least.  We do trim stuff, and frankly I decided to work her HARDER rather than easier.  (I doubled lessons in WWS1 and have her doing a week in 1-2 days in WWS2.)  It has the *structure* to enable us to get it to work and you mentioned wanting structure.  It's very structured in a sort of sophisticated way.

Thanks for the input.  I've tried to convince him that he can still have fun with the expository writing and make it his own. I should try to find some examples for him. Any suggestions?  I'm looking at using WWS with my fifth grader, so glad to hear the positive review.