Menu

Is Rod & Staff Grammar supposed to be....

trulycrabby

Is the Rod & Staff Grammar level supposed to be one grade level up fron the student's actual grade? For example, my 4th grader would be using Rod & Staff 5? I read this one facebook last night and was flabbergasted; we have been doing Rod & Staff 4 all this school year! :o

I would not say this at all. Particularly as after eighth grade it is mostly reviewing the grammar with only a little added (and the grade 9/10 books contain the same grammar). If you end with the grade 8 one,you have plenty of grammar. If you do the grade 8 one in 11th grade, you can still finish the series. My question would be--what's the hurry?

I also think that the fifth grade grammar would be a stretch for a lot of fourth graders. Grammar can be quite abstract. Some could handle it,but why bother speeding ahead unless a child is crazy into grammar?

(FWIW, I am grammar light until 5th grade and then we do grammar using Rod and Staff. So, far my oldest is just completing the grade 8 book. I'm unsure about whether we'll do grammar next year, as it's a strength of his.)

Weird. Usually R&S English is billed as being advanced, and plenty of homeschoolers use it behind grade level. It's been right on target for my kids.

Regardless, please don't fall into the trap of thinking that because "everyone else's kid" is using something ahead of the number on the front means your son is behind. Look at the boy in front of you and teach him where he's at. :)

Weird. Usually R&S English is billed as being advanced, and plenty of homeschoolers use it behind grade level. It's been right on target for my kids.

Regardless, please don't fall into the trap of thinking that because "everyone else's kid" is using something ahead of the number on the front means your son is behind. Look at the boy in front of you and teach him where he's at. :)

One of my favorite quotes: Teach the child on the couch.

I taught it a grade level ahead, but that was only because my son gets grammar VERY easily and was getting bored with grade level programs. Most people use it at grade level or below grade level.

R&S Math is often used a little ahead, so maybe that's what you heard? Sometimes people just say "R&S" without mentioning what subject. :)

Agreeing with everyone else! R&S grammar is advanced. Their web-site suggests middle school students new to it, without extensive grammar, will probably need to start at grade 5.

My older end of the grade son in 4th grade is in level 4. He gets grammar easily, but has no desire to be pushed higher.

My very young end of the grade son in 3rd grade is just finishing up level 2 and will start 3 in May or June.

If it helps any Carrie who writes Heart of Dakota is using 7th and 8th grade R&S for her high school grammar. The reason is that those books cover high school grammar. Mennonites finish high school younger, and I think that is part of the reason it is advanced.